Cessna down with 4 on board

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Yen gets a tap on the shoulder and effectively please don't for that again (a measured response in my opinion) ...

Yet 'motorkite dreaming' appears on national TV for 6 weeks with - no matter how you try and defend as fun- multiple blatant breaches of pretty much anything you could consider apropriate or legal flying ...

I know CASA are not the fastest at prosecuting but I am really hoping to hear REPORTS of the RAAus action against them in due course

• Agree 1

Interesting that Yen gets a tap on the shoulder and effectively please don't for that again (a measured response in my opinion) ...Yet 'motorkite dreaming' appears on national TV for 6 weeks with - no matter how you try and defend as fun- multiple blatant breaches of pretty much anything you could consider apropriate or legal flying ...

I know CASA are not the fastest at prosecuting but I am really hoping to hear REPORTS of the RAAus action against them in due course

I don't think they got off Scott free

I didn't get a tap on the shoulder. I talked to the CASA man, after one of E&LAAA directors mentioned the demo as being dangerous. There was no risk to the public. I was at least 100m away from the public enclosure at the nearest point. the fly past was not something done on the spur of the moment, it was actually requeste by the fly in organisers.

My reason for even mentioning it was to show how CASA can easily get blamed for letting a transgression go without prosecution by using their judgment. In other words they should not be pilloried for not shutting down a cowboy who they thought would behave himself after a talking to.

You are not allowed to do aeros over or towards the crowd. Low level aeros require a recency factor/permit be met. Aero's are defined usually in terms of pitch and roll angles. A low pass? OK what's LOW? 500 feet would not be a problem, but that's only my opinion. It's only turn final height . Slow and fast passes are common when demonstrating a plane. If you don't stall or exceed limit speeds for configuration and conditions or have wake turbulence issues with separation, It's pretty safe flying. You aren't allowed to deliberately operate a plane in an unsafe manner. What that is exactly can be a matter of interpretation. In all this one should remember the idea of setting an example. Being an aerial cowboy is often copycat stuff, where EGO rather than responsibility takes over. Nev

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On the local TV news 1770 flights are back in operation.

There are heresay reports that initially CASA performed an Audit on this Charter Operator after this unfortunate incident, however they have now withdrawn the Charter Operators AOC which has caused the Charter Operator to cease flight operations immediately.

There are heresay reports that initially CASA performed an Audit on this Charter Operator after this unfortunate incident, however they have now withdrawn the Charter Operators AOC which has caused the Charter Operator to cease flight operations immediately.

Doesn't really mean much in terms of true poor operating. When a bad event happens CASA will always find something wrong - no matter how insignificant. Pulling an AOC is how CASA shows the world they in control of a situation. Even if what they cite is not an issue.

CASA has been known to pull an AOC for the heinous crime of operating without a chief pilot which actually was:

A local helo charter company chief pilot went on holidays and company couldn't or didn't get a replacement chief pilot ( but the original was still in town and was still contactable and said he would come in and do anything required) BUT the company didn't have a replacement on the books and they had paid the chief pilot holiday pay so as far as CASA was concerned he was not available. Therefore the company operated for two weeks without a chief pilot - AOC pulled.

Doesn't really mean much in terms of true poor operating. When a bad event happens CASA will always find something wrong - no matter how insignificant. Pulling an AOC is how CASA shows the world they in control of a situation. Even if what they cite is not an issue.CASA has been known to pull an AOC for the heinous crime of operating without a chief pilot which actually was:

A local helo charter company chief pilot went on holidays and company couldn't or didn't get a replacement chief pilot ( but the original was still in town and was still contactable and said he would come in and do anything required) BUT the company didn't have a replacement on the books and they had paid the chief pilot holiday pay so as far as CASA was concerned he was not available. Therefore the company operated for two weeks without a chief pilot - AOC pulled.

If you check the website for this charter company they are stating that they are not accepting any more bookings for their hoiliday destinations & for clients who have already booked, they should consult their respective travel agents for a refund. In other words the reason they are not accepting any more bookings is due to the fact that they no longer have an AOC.

• 2 weeks later...

Todays news is that CASA have withdrawbn the AOC and Bruce Rhodes is complaining that he is being treated harshly and that CASA should wait for the finalisation of the report into the crash.

• Informative 1

From their Facebook page:

1770 CASTAWAY

4 February at 15:28 · UBaYWd6OClP.png

**NEWS FLASH** OPERATIONS ARE SET TO START FROM 6 FEB!

1770 Castaway are pleased to announce that we will start operating our tours again from Monday 6th Feb....but with a new twist!!!

After much consideration, Woody & I have decided not to go back into commercial aviation so as a result we intend to change our means of transportation to/from camp to using a high speed rubber inflatable brig boat, similar to the ones the water police use. This will still provide passengers with a super fun, adrenaline filled & wet ride to/from camp whilst maintaining safety as a high priority.

Implementing the boat into our operation will take upto 3 months to arrange, so in the meantime...our Survivor camp will be the only camp running and transportation to/from camp will be with the iconic pink 1770LARC, an amphibious vehicle that can drive on land & boat through water. Trips will operate every Monday, Wednesday & Saturday to Survivor and any currently booked passengers can move/upgrade to one of these trips, just call us on 0401 770 572 to arrange. We've also got a super $100OFF promo going too, so when you book online, make sure you enter the code "100OFF" when you check out.

Once again, MANY THANKS for all the support everyone has given us through these concerning times...we didn't want to give up on our awesome & unique adventure experiences either so it's exciting times ahead now with the soon-to-be, new & improved, 1770 Castaway "Boat-In" Island Adventures! 1f603.png 1f603.png 1f603.png 1f603.png

They have decided?????? More like CASA decided for them so they are making up an excuse for their out in aviation

Cowboys don't belong in aviation to take innocent paying customers with them

Sad in a way for the tourists frequenting the area to get a view from above but not sad if they are being reckless and endangering innocent lives

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

After seeing what these reckless fools did with tourists in an Aircraft I wouldnt expect them to be any less reckless in a boat. Delibrately unbuckling a seat belt then pushing enough negative Gs to unseat the girl is just plain reckless stupidity. Pulled thier AOC?, should have their licences pulled as well.

• Agree 5

I am sure these videos were posted and discussed on this site many years ago...the general consensus being that an accident was just waiting to happen...

Not sure what it's like in Oz now for current affairs programs, but a few years back this story would have easily made it to ACA etc. based on that video linking to the Girl's death referencing how the company obviously operated.

It is not so long ago that the tourist boat out to Lady Musgrave from 1770 burnt out and the crew and passengers had to take to the life rafts. I don't know what happened that trip, but it was a much more safety aligned business than the flying one. No connection to the flying business as far as I know. If cowboys take on the sea trip business, how safety conscious will they be?