Hi from northern rivers

milehigheric

Just a quick post to say g'day to all the northern rivers pilots here. Hopefully I'll get to meet some new faces now I have just caught the flying bug again. I did about 25 hours in a C172 in my teens back in 2005-2006 but ultimately couldn't afford to keep flying at the time. I have been jumping out of planes for a couple of years which is fun...but I think I miss the front seat :)

I'll be off to Lismore at some point shortly to chat with bill about getting back into things. Before I do, does anyone have an idea on how existing hours would be considered in my situation? I basically completed ab inito training and was just about to sit BAK and pass GFPT before I stopped flying. It kind of sucks really as it looks like I would be eligible for the RPL if I had of say that exam.

Obviously a 10 year break means a bit (a lot maybe) of refresher training...but I am hoping I don't need to start from scratch. I guess flying is all about competency at the end of the day but I just wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar position.

Thanks !

All your log book time will count. It's competency based . You can fly a mini 172 or something "Different". 5 or 6 hours if you prepare well. Do what it takes so don't put a limit on it. Depends on how you take to the lighter feel and gentler touch and get your feet working early in the business. Things are much more lightly built and responsive. A 172 is pretty forgiving. Be ready for a change. IF you like "flying" you will love it. Nev

Thanks mate - very excited to get back in the air! I spoke with bill at NRAC today actually and he said to budget for 10 hours to get recurrent and get RPC and RPL signed off. Any tips on ways to prepare before I hook in? I have been studying BAK (GA), and trying to get my head around both the RA-AUS (all new to me) and GA/CASA ops but I don't really know if there is anyway to really help prepare for the practical. I know I have forgotten most of the mnemonics haha.

A lot depends on what type you are going to do it in. Like you, I probably don't know how you will go . The basics will come back to a fair extent but there is the getting used to the differences. Try something basic perhaps to get the most out of it and tell your instructor to give you a thorough work over. The 172 isn't a very "testing" aeroplane and is certified, designed to be easy to fly with few vices. Some of the stuff you will be able to fly has less development/cost more gust sensitivity and has to be flown quite precisely to be where you want it on every approach and is more responsive to load and balance and aileron/ rudder use. When you have settled in I suggest you do a unusual attitudes recovery course (NOT aerobatics, but in an aerobatic plane, so you don't have to worry about breaking it).. Plenty of U/L's require more skill than GA planes do, so this is a step UP for you. Nev

• Informative 1

Hi Eric,

I fly out of Lismore and know Bill and the instructors and I drop in to the club from time 2 time and sometimes for their friday arvo beer between 4-5 to catch up and chat.

If u see a blue&white Savannah getting around come and say hi

Cheers.

Hi Eric,

I will be in a position like you, having done GA training and then, because the flight school moved (and some other reasons), I stopped training. Now I will be picking up again once my plane is built but in a "microlight" (as they insist in calling sub-600 kg aeroplanes here) to gain a Pilots Certificate.

Welcome to the forum.