SR 71 video

jetjr

A beautiful aircraft indeed but that report is not entirely correct. The English Electric Lightning had a higher leak rate on the ground than the Blackbird. We had to have large flat pans filled with 'kitty litter' to absorb it under any aircraft in a hangar.

As to the highest and fastest aircraft ever, not true. Australia has one that far surpasses it and is sooo secret, even I don't know about it.

Have a nice day now.

As to the highest and fastest aircraft ever, not true. Australia has one that far surpasses it and is sooo secret, even I don't know about it

Haha what you been drinking today Doug?

I worked on 11 Sqdn Lightnings....... Don't recall Large flat pans full of kitty litter.

Come now don't spoil the story.... can't you add a yarn?

I like the story of the SR71 flying over california, at 70,000ft, and on the local frequency cessnas and pipers are asking ATC for speed checks (105 knots, 115 knots, etc), and some navy guy in a F16 asks, and is told, 582 knots, so on the open frequency the SR71 guy can't resist asking, and is told, 1565 knots.

I like the story of the SR71 flying over california, at 70,000ft, and on the local frequency cessnas and pipers are asking ATC for speed checks (105 knots, 115 knots, etc), and some navy guy in a F16 asks, and is told, 582 knots, so on the open frequency the SR71 guy can't resist asking, and is told, 1565 knots.

I have that book here, and another written by the same author. Great reads.

• 1 year later...