NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

tankering fuel

70kg for fuelLeaves me just enough for my toiletry bag.......:;)2:

With a fuel burn rate of 15L/hr max at cruise, that gives you 6.6 hrs including 45minutes reserve at 100 knots or 600 nm plus reserve.....

I don't know about you, but my bladder wont last that long.:yuk:

I'd be dropping about 30L out of the tank and that would still give you 4hrs or 400nm (depending on wind) plus reserve as well as 21kg of baggage room based on your calculations above...;)

Just for perspective, Melbourne to Adelaide is about 370nm...

My 2 cents

Regards

Phil

One would assume that it is the old model LSA (which has nothing to do with the new LSA Class of aircraft) but factory certified under the new LSA rules - hence the 500kg take off weight against the old 470kg limit.

So I guess that means that it has the same dimensions as "the old model LSA". Does someone out there have the dimensional spec handy? - ie span, length, cabin width, etc. I've emailed Jabiru and asked about performance specs.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest High Plains Drifter

Funny how its always a compromise in aviation - full fuel or full pax and luggage.

If I fully fuel my four seat spam can, it efectivly becomes a two seat and luggage aircraft.

It's only got a 68 litre tank, so therefore you get an extra 20kg's to go with your toiletries bag!

HPD - Tooradin operates 4 Jabs, soon to be 6. 2 x LSA 55's, 2 * J160's and 2 * J170's.

I converted to RAA in a Jabiru LSA 55/3J and copied most of the owners manual to study.

Have good look at the following figures From page 2 Sup 7-6 Dated Oct 97 for "Optional Equipment Supplement" specifically the "Big Foot Undercarriage" option.

Stall speeds in KIAS

Flap setting ............................... Zero... Stage 1... Stage 2

.............................................................Take Off....Landing

Max Take off & landing weight----- 41 ......... 45 .......... 47

In another section of the owners manual the figures for standard gear wheels are:

--------------------------------------46.......... 44 .......... 40

Regards

Is the J120 really an SP?

Just from the look of the Jabiru ad the J120 looks like the long tailed SP (which had a MTOW of 500kg). Jabiru have been making them for the European market.

These are nicer to fly than the LSA (which always needed a bit more directional stability).

$58,000 new including GST - sure will put a lid on used prices!

You are right about them being tough. We have a pilot not too far from here who has upturned his Jab several times and it gets fixed really quickly and he is off again. I think the last time he was taking off from a beach and the cross wind forced him into soft sand, a nice gently somersault and he and his daughter walked away from it unhurt.

By the way his nickname is "Flipper"

You're right Blueline, I hadn't looked at it closely enough.

It certainly ain't an LSA55. It has SP door hinges, SP ventral fin and rudder, stretched fuse of the SP, with small wheels by the looks of it. Front cowls are also off the latest model.

The 'No Frills No Options' is a bit of a worry though. There's probably a couple of grand retail in a gear upgrade which they obviously won't fit for you, plus a few instruments etc like the Dynon. It will add up in price pretty quickly, but the big bonus is that it's not actually an LSA55 and should fly much more nicely.

Made an enquiry of Jabiru HO today. Full spec sheet is still being put together, but in essence:

Same basic dimensions (span & length) as J160 - but cab is narrower than J160 but slightly larger than old LSA Jab. 5kts faster cruise than J160 - less drag. New improved cowling to better manage engine temps. Solid wings = less assembly time and cheaper repairs; tank in cabin. Manual flaps. Nice price.

Chris

Guest AusDarren
If the MTOW is 500kg.....265kg empty

160kg for 2 average men

70kg for fuel

Leaves me just enough for my toiletry bag.......:;)2:

65 Litres = 47kg a little more for your Pax..

or one HUGE toilet bag! ;)

Regards,

AusDarren

Guest pelorus32

Great Thing

I reckon this is a great thing. At the price it will encourage more people into Rec Aviation.

I think Matt very eloquently expressed his views about Jabs and mine are the same. Still this is a good thing.

But it's also horses for courses. People do pay more for other a/c. People do like low wings/highwings/euro a/c/....This just gives them one more choice.

You're right Blueline, I hadn't looked at it closely enough.

The 'No Frills No Options' is a bit of a worry though. There's probably a couple of grand retail in a gear upgrade which they obviously won't fit for you, plus a few instruments etc like the Dynon. It will add up in price pretty quickly, but the big bonus is that it's not actually an LSA55 and should fly much more nicely.

If it's a Light Sport Aircraft (LSA as opposed to LSA55) then you can't make a gear upgrade if the factory don't approve it. And if the factory don't approve a Dynon then you can't do that either. That's LSA and it's not such a hindrance as long as you understand the limitations.

As for the fuel tank in the cabin: that's not for me. People and fuel shouldn't be sharing the same space - ever - that's my view from seeing a few Niki Lauda lookalikes.

Regards

Mike

Guest Fred Bear
As for the fuel tank in the cabin: that's not for me. People and fuel shouldn't be sharing the same space - ever - that's my view from seeing a few Niki Lauda lookalikes.

Probably a true thing. Our LSA 55 at The Oaks makes me nervous sometimes seeing all that sloshing around behind me but also thought to myself even with wingtanks 5mm of fibreglass ain't going to protect us either. The whole thing is going to melt real quick.

So.....It is the UL with short wings (dry).....not hard, just the most economical combination of existing product and moulds etc......;)

J

How does an lsa compare to j160 flight stability wise?...i mean i converted from a skyfox into a j160 and i have to say, i don't like screamin over the fence at 70-75 knotts...and in turbulent conditions forget about it...have had some hairy bum landings in some chop...she seems to get thrown around alot...anyviews?

Guest sportaviationacademy

The 540 kg MTOW comes about as to meet the 45knot stall speed the 160 wont stall at 45 at544kg but will at 540