NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

That 107 Kts was of coarse @ 2900 rpm & not 1900 rpm,:hittinghead: the way fuel prices are going I guess it was wishfull thinking. $1.91 at Broken Hill.This A/C also has the new

sloshing agent that is ethonol resistant in case the need arises.

Thanks for the report Kev. Avgas is $2.00 ltr here at Cunnamulla at the moment. I guess it's only going to get worse. I see the Jabiru web page have just put another pic of the 120 on the product info page. Nice looking machine.

Guest J430

Galpin

The Tablet PC (and the hairy leg and coke can) belong to a guy who has been banned from this site for being a bit harsh with the facts of life, so I will do my best to explain how it works.

I have flown this a/c for some 25-30 hours now and the setup is very useful. Just remember this is not how you should be flying RAA aircraft necessarily. The setup is all intended around single pilot IFR and in real IFR its very useful.

Obviously the a/c has a TSO'd GPS, a Garmin GNS430 which is coupled to the auto pilot. this will have the multi waypoint flight plan loaded and followed, with all the position reports (outside radar area) and so on.

A Garmin GPS296/396/496 is used as a situational awareness tool, great mapping and other info, no need to expand on that I think. The 296 is set up for the final destination, so at any point in time your approx dist and time is available as well as diversions at your fingertips, rather than the GNS430 which is loaded with the IFR plan.

The 296 is also going to save your butt if there is a 430 failure!

The Tablet PC is connected by USB to the 296, this enables real time data from the GPS to be used with several tools on the Tablet PC. Jeppesen Flight Deck provides all the air routes terminal charts VTC's ERC's ......more than I can recall and a whole heap of stuff that places you on the map in real time. For example diversions, when you are IFR in particular and wx is an issue you can see all the airports around you and your time and distace etc....along with all the info from ERSA/Jepps at the click of a mouse or tap of a stylus.

All WAC charts are available for use in a program called Fugawi and this can be run at the same time as Jepp flight dek, so you can be in IMC aand yet know whats under you at all times. The TAC's are good on the ground.....your position on Taxi ways is shown so you can follow ATC ground instructions easier too!

Now the next bonus is ....with a NextG card or phone link, the world wide webby thingy is available, so flight planning, weather, NOTAMS, BOM weather radar, and as well you can post on Recreational Flying or Proone while in flight;). Of course thats for the pilot not flying, or when in solid cloud coz otherwise you would be looking out the window!

This setup is a wonderful tool and when used with an A/P, flying low level VFR and not on A/P could make it a bit of a challenge and I would suggest maybe even dangerous so be warned about setting up too many toys, even PDA's etc with too much stuff unless its a useful thing. Of course once set up say on a WAC chart before you blast off, its very useful.

The down side is the cost.... you would spend around $5K plus for the tablet and software!

I hope I have done a good job of explaining it for you, its not my hardware so I can not claim to have total knowlege of its feature and there are bound to be more! I was just flying the plane and the 296 !

J:wave:

WOW thanks J430. You have given an excellent response in answer to my questions. I am very grateful. What a magnificent site we have, with many knowledgeable members sharing their experience and expertise. This is beneficial for all and may preclude some of us making costly errors.

Hey J430. Have you compared the new G495 with G296? Garmin claims faster processor and better terrain awareness.. But I dont know what that means in actual use..

Cheers,

Chris

Guest J430

G496 v 296

Yes and tested! Nice unit

Has a sexy swedish backpacker stuffed in the cigar lighter who calls out "Five Hundred" and "Pull Up" and "Sink Rate" or whatever else she says!

Yes slightly faster updates and XM weather (if you are in the US) etc etc.

Nice screen! But its probably not easily justified for the extra expense. For VFR GPS in Oz....296 does it all.

The 495 version I have not seen, and from what I can see is better suited to Oz as it has all the stuff we want without the stuff we can't use.

For the little extra, especially helpful for avoiding CTA, or if you are a CTA user enhanced awareness in and around CTA, the 495 looks great!:thumb_up:

GPS = Garmin...... no mater which model you buy!

J

i hear everyone saying that you can not modify the instrument panel ? can you do so in a factory built current J160 ? oh and what is LSA ? :confused: i done most of my training in a jabiru with the same layout as the 120 back in 2001-2002. now the new jab i am learning in is much better in my opinion. but as for value for money the new jab is great, but want to be able to add my own instruments ect...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thrasher

If you go to the J120 Page & click in the Product Info, you can get a VSI as an option for $275...

We being me & 3 mates have just ordered a J120 as I believe it is the Best Value for Money, Factory Built Aircraft Available with 100knts & 4hrs duration...I Think the Guys at Jabiru have done a Top Job in making available an Affordable Aircraft for those of us who just want to fly...Will let you know what it is like when we get it home in a few weeks time...

Regards Steve

Guest AusDarren
We being me & 3 mates have just ordered a J120 (*snip*)...Will let you know what it is like when we get it home in a few weeks time...Regards Steve

Now that would have been much more interesting to hear about at the club meeting on Sat..

Hope you really enjoy it, should produce some of the least expensive aviation you have had..

Look forward to seeing it at Lethbridge!

Regards,

AusDarren

Guest Rocko

Hey Steve

Thanks for that info.

Is there also an option to upgrade to a proper turn coordinator, do you know?

Scotty

Guest Rocko

Well, I understand Jaycar sell a PCMexpress GPS transceiver for a couple of hundred now (less than $300). Add it to a laptop, add some charts, and ozexplorer, and it a cheap moving map with a big screen compared to a 296, too

Scott

Guest thrasher

We are also getting a Turn & Bank Indicator fitted...as well as most of the other options... Like Heater, GPS, Transponder etc...Have settled for the Zero Hour Engine for a saving of $3K...

Steve

Guest AusDarren

Thrasher,

So how did you decide which of you will collect your new Aircraft?

bet your all fired up about it..

Regards,

AusDarren

Well, I understand Jaycar sell a PCMexpress GPS transceiver for a couple of hundred now (less than $300). Add it to a laptop, add some charts, and ozexplorer, and it a cheap moving map with a big screen compared to a 296, tooScott

The advantage of 296 (or new 495, for not much extra) is they fit into the Jab 120 dash. Anything else wont fit - so has to be a hang-on..

Cheers,

Chris

Guest J430
Well, I understand Jaycar sell a PCMexpress GPS transceiver for a couple of hundred now (less than $300). Add it to a laptop, add some charts, and ozexplorer, and it a cheap moving map with a big screen compared to a 296, too

Scott

Rocko, I think promoting a cheaper (even saving $1000) on something like a PDA/PC Vs a G296 is almost a dangerous idea! Now before someone gets upset at me, here is why. The few hundered dollars saved are nothing compared to the reliability of the G296 (no MS Windoze) and the amount of useful information stored in the 296 could save your butt one day. Along with airspace and airport data, there is no match.

If you fly IFR, your GPS systems are well defined and then adding a PC with a GPS module is a great idea, however you need some serious software from the Jepp boys to make it all worthwhile! Of course thats all a bit over the top for your J120 or Drifter!

J

Guest thrasher

Can't wait to go up & get the J120. I am looking at Route options for getting home from YBUD....

I have followed Maps along with a Garmin over parts of This country from a Pilot 3 to a G196 & if we can justify the Price differance maybe a G296 this time...They have been very reliable & I wouldn't change to a MS based thing...

• 1 month later...

Steve (Thrasher) dropped into Echuca this afternoon on his way home to Lethbridge. The new J120c is lookin' good - it's a little beauty. It's safely tucked up in my hanger next to my J160c. :heart::heart:

Steve and his co-pilot (I'm so good with names :confused:) are safely tucked up in a local motel with a few cold ones. I'll pick them up tomorrow morning and drive them to the airport. Weather permitting they'll be home tomorrow (Saturday).

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest thrasher

Yes. The Weight for Ours came in at 283kg all up with Transponder, VSI, Turn & Bank Indicater, Heater & 196 GPS Fitted.

It is as good as others have reported...a bit better than 15ltrs / Hr at 2800rpm cruising at 100kts....

So realy it is just what we wanted even if the weight went up a bit...

It realy is great to fly...We did Over 9hrs back to Lethbridge. I did 1st Half to Narromine in LHS & Other Half RHS.

We even called into to see Big Pete at Echuca, Thanks to the weather...

But it was good to meet him & He helped us heaps with transport & organising accomadation as well as helping to fix our flat tyre...which was greatly appreciated...Thanks mate..

So if you would like to fly what we think is the best value for $$$ aircraft around. 4cyl 100knt 15lts/hr 4 hr duration & also very nice to fly. Order One Now. You will be as Happy & Proud as we are of a Great Aussie Product Developed & Built by Good People & for us above all. Affordable.

Steve

PS put Echuca on your places to visit list...Nice Town & Nice People.

Thanks for the feedback Pete, the guy's say they had a great time at Echuca, and loved the 120 our crew from Pt Augusta will Rocket over for a visit, its been years since i have been out that way, it will be good to catch up hopefully December some time, cheers

we had a flyin today at Pt Augusta Kevin flew in with his J120, i had a fly with him Wow that Aircraft is great goes like a cut snake and we were heavy, i had a fly and it is so responsive climb was great, runs cool performance was far beyond expectations Jabiru have got Aeroplane here with the j120 smaller cab yes not as much range yes so what at 58k find better and let me know, i don't expect any other recomendations as they don't exist, thanks for the ride Kevin