NEW - Jabiru J120

BigPete

Hi Keith, the 120 has duel dash mounted throttles. Apart from a loose induction pipe (causing rough running), flap adjustment and wheel toe in alignment(the jab is a work in progress) we've done 80 hrs since May and very pleased with performance and economy. The only thing I would now like to address is to replace the brake master cylinder with a smaller bore type to improve braking. I flare at 60 and it takes some stopping.

Regards. Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

Well Boys and Girls, my J120 (No. 01) has a whopping 40 hours on the clock now, mostly due to time and weather constraints (aint Melbourne great). I can say with confidence that I still believe that I could not have purchased a better aircraft!!! I have to really dig deep to think of any gripes, so the best I have is that the brakes are terrible. I will be trying softer pads soon.

Happy flying!

J120

Hi Guys,

I have number 003 J120. Took delivery mid March. Mine now has 300 hrs on the clock. The little beauty is being used for training. At the moment it getting less training and more recreational flying.

The more I fly it the more I love it. I find myself trying to limit my use, other wise the fuel bill will send me broke. And my wife might not be my wife anymore.

These truely are fantastic machines. All aircraft have things about them that pilots don't like, and the J120 is no exception. But the joy you receive from flying these aircraft over rules any inaccuracies it might have.

I am on the third set of tyres and second set of brake discs and pads.

The engine is running as good as the day it was made. Every thing else is great.

The only thing is, the next prop will be a Sensenick.

#014 J120 is operating up at Bundy with a Sensenick prop and they are getting 110 knots at cruise with the same climb performance. Jabiru in talks with Sensenick have come up with a size that suits the aircraft and it seems to be good.

I will add to the comment of other members. You will not get a better value for money aircraft anywhere.

Harthy

OK, heres a nasty question.

Because of various issues, I never managed to do any real cross country in my last plane. So, honestly, I have diddly squat experience on what it really means taking an aircraft x country.

So....nasty Q'n time.

65 litre tank is pretty small, allowing for reserve. Really, how much does this affect the J120's ability to be a serious X country machine? Is it simply a matter of more fuel stops, or would the small tank limit distance travel in more remote areas, because the strips with fuel are too far apart for the aircraft to manage?

And another nasty Q'n.

How useful are the wheels? Are they big enough for basically anything but the worst strips, or are they really only suited for relatively good strips.

These 2 q'ns have reallybeen my big issue with the aircraft

Lets talk round figures - 3.5 hrs safe range @ around 100kts = a long way + a 20litre jerry = even further. Can't make too much comment on the wheels as I haven't landed on anything particularly rough, other than I am based on a gravel strip that sometimes gets a little corrugated - no problems

There is a member of this forum who did an around OZ trip in a Jab SP earlier this year with the same little wheels as the J120 without issue if I recall correctly.

Hi Kevin

That was exactly what I was wondering, actually.

However, does that qualify as non-factory approved mod, when you have to cut fuel hoses, etc?

Thanks Brent. It was one of the few things I had a bitch about with the Hanuman. Damn narrow tyres. Could get rough as guts on a bumpy strip, and could never be used on a beach, I'd imagine. Had a few flats on rolled rims.

Reckon these tyres could be used on firm sand?

Sort of one of the nice things I had considered about the Savannah...the tundra tyres

And again, I assume swapping the tyres/rims to a bit bigger, even if they were on other Jab arcraft, would be against the factory built and approved thing?

Hi Rocko.

I would say the auxiliary outboard tank idea would not qualify as a non factory mod.

I came up with the idea for ferrying extra fuel back home. I haven't actually hooked up to the A/C fuel system. I thought it would be as simple as fitting a "T" piece between pump & tank with sufficient hose with stopcock just after tank coupling. The fuel could either be pumped down using A/C pump or gravity fed. When the tank is not required, unplug tank, remove same & hang hose as high as posible above fluid level. It's just a thought and I'm not suggesting anyone wiz out and do this without considering the consequence. As we all know, "Thought can be the fuel of fire" and we won't be having any of that. Not inside a Jabiru anyway.

No mate, just needed to use stopcock to override the auto filter, however in saying this, the auto filter is there for a reason - imagine if it wasn't and someone wanted to go for it and a young child who dreams of flying one day looks in and sees it - at least now all they will see is:

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX ;)

I'd imagine using a self-sealing quick connect fuel connector would work too.

Add another 90 mins of fuel to the aircraft, and it's starting to give it a damn good range too.

Damn, tempted ;>

OK...need to go grill someone about hangarage ;>

Guest Graham Lea
I'd imagine using a self-sealing quick connect fuel connector would work too. Add another 90 mins of fuel to the aircraft, and it's starting to give it a damn good range too. Damn, tempted ;> OK...need to go grill someone about hangarage ;>

Maybe look at how to check the oil level after 5 1/2 hours first :-)

True ;) I'm more concerned at flying in somewhere, and not having access to fuel ;)

Admittedly, my prev 2200A used disturbingly little oil ;) Dunno what the deal was there, but never argued about it

Contacted Jabiru to see if they could send a few decent pictures, and answer a few q's, on the J120. They sent me a price list. Didn't really help much.

Does anyone have some decent pics online of their J120 they wouldn't mind me seeing? Even better, is there anyone around the Brisbane area, and particularly the Ipswich/Gatton/Gold Coast/Toowoomba region, that wouldn't mind me coming out and checking it out?

Regardless of what I've seen in Jabs before, they all seem just a bit different. I'm happy going to Bundy for a full look, but it's still 500km away, and don't want to waste the fuel if it's not really wat I'm after.

Appreciate it very much

Scotty