Swan river incident

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got footage of it on the ABC TV news!........I`m sorry for whoever it was, but I hope it was a legally conducted flight, if not, I hope it wasn`t an RA-Aus registered AC and pilot!

One of two Grumman Mallards - one based at Jandakot I believe. The other was parked near my hangar at Serpentine. Not sure which one this was, but hope the pilots are OK.

rgmwa

• Informative 1

Looks to me like he stalled the inner wing during the turn

I`ve just watched the video replay and unless it was mechanical failure, it certainly looked to me as though the inside wing stalled!...Absolutely tragic!

Edit: ABC TV news up here now reporting, the aircraft stalled.

• Agree 3

Hot day 41 degrees. Happens quickly. Fairly tight turn needed. Not what I would call a "light" aircraft. Sad day for a lot of kids to witness that. The nose appears high just before the roll to the left. I've gone over every vid of it I can get. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sad fact is we are all human and it can happen to the best of them and to any of us.

It has been happening since the dawn of aviation and continues to happen so why don't we learn

This pilot never went out knowing it would be the end of time for him

Discipline is required from all of us all the time while flying right up until the plane is back in the hangar

Fly safe brothers and sisters

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

I've watched a bunch of different views of it too.

There's really only one way you can interpret what happened here, and it's already been said. Very sad.

Tight manoeuvring at low level and slow speed - you've just gotta keep an eye on your energy level and be careful of g application. There are no second chances, unfortunately.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I've watched a bunch of different views of it too.There's really only one way you can interpret what happened here, and it's already been said. Very sad.

Tight manoeuvring at low level and slow speed - you've just gotta keep an eye on your energy level and be careful of g application. There are no second chances, unfortunately.

Another factor that may have played a part is Low Level Flying in moderate winds (gusts to 15knots) while keeping eyes on a fixed ground point and turning around that point. In this case he was down wind before the turn, possibly using ground speed as his reference. Experienced Alaskan Pilot, Shaun Lunt, also caught out by this scenario which ended in tragedy while circling a whale carcass in his Super Cub on a windy day in Alaska around 10years ago.

I knew them personally and had flown in that Mallard last year.

He wasnt careless at all.

On Jan 10 he and his family were leaving Evans Head to fly to Perth.

He will be missed. Not only by me, but many many other people who knew him (and his family).

• Like 1