RAAus Level 2

Bruce Tuncks

Too be honest Keith I am no longer prepared to waste any time on trying to get commen sense.

I was against the "Canberra Aero Club" (my words) approach but 800 members supported it so OK it happened and I hope they are happy with their efforts.

The bottom line is we are still losing $200,000 a year off cash reserves - unsustainable in anyone's sensible consideration. (4 years left without change - already done a million with around $800,000 to go). Don't forget the proposed directors fees in the new constitution - if anyone believes they were put in the constitution with no intent to invoke them then I guess the tooth fairy is real.

I accept that there are some on this forum who still think everything is great and I am happy for them but without substantial membership/registration fee increases it cannot work.

There is an election for two board members in the next couple of months which gives the membership a chance to regain control - but naturally only if they think it is necessary.

I certainly hope a selection of people put their hand up, unopposed is not positive whichever view one holds and my only involvement will be casting my own vote as there is NO way I will be involved with making legal the autocratic views of 3 people and a couple of followers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of the $200 K, $150K is the cost of printed magazine

Members demanded it stay, there were and still are howls of why it should still be provided free as part of an reduced membership fee

• Agree 1

Ive Done Kev and Carol MCNalley's rotax course twice now and it leaves anything RAAus is doing in its wake.... I think RAAus is taking a lot of steps in the right direction, but, God only knows why RAA hasn't endorsed them and a few similarly qualified guru's to travel and train everyone to at least a level 1...

DrZoos

The RAAus are recognising the course as an alternative pathway to L1. Everyone who has completed it, (regardless of what they fly, so fixed wing and weightshift alike), have received their L1 rating and therefore do not need to do the on-line test.

We supply a list of names to RAAus Technical after each course.

The course is referenced in the new RAAus Technical Manual, but unfortunately was not mentioned in the group email sent out recently, or in the Sport Pilot.

Kev

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

DrZoosThe RAAus are recognising the course as an alternative pathway to L1. Everyone who has completed it, (regardless of what they fly, so fixed wing and weightshift alike), have received their L1 rating and therefore do not need to do the on-line test.

We supply a list of names to RAAus Technical after each course.

The course is referenced in the new RAAus Technical Manual, but unfortunately was not mentioned in the group email sent out recently, or in the Sport Pilot.

Kev

Great stuff about time :) thanks fr letting us know

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well - my thoughts for what they are worth. Over a short period of time the available L2 list will be diminished to mostly commercial operators that have a financial interest in keeping their level 2 authorities. A lot of others that have volunteered many hours of their time to helping others with maintenance and repairs will opt out because the renewal process is too onerous. This will cause many aircraft owners to carry out their own maintenance/repairs as they will not be able to justify the cost afforded to their hobby to pay an L2. The L2 renewal process should be simplified with a notification by mail with a simple - do you wish to revalidate your L2 authority for another two years Y/N. Again these are my thoughts right or wrong and I wont get into a verbal too and fro with any members over them. Oh! and thanks for taking the time to read them. :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes vk3, that is just what has happened in gliding. A "major repair" ticket means you are a commercial operator. If a lesser person makes a mistake, there is pressure to put that activity into "major repair". This happened with refinishing, and I think this means that even a touch-up job needs to go to a commercial operator.l

• Helpful 1

From the tech Manual:

3.3 LEVEL TWO (L2) Maintenance Authority

3.3.1 L2 may be applied for via TECH FORM 015 – L2 APPLICATION and may be issued on the basis of qualifications and experience of the applicant. L2 privileges are valid for two years and are subject to renewal via TECH FORM 012 – LEVEL 2 re-appointment. In order to renew these privileges, an L2 must conduct at least two annual or 100 hourly inspections within two years. This may be considered for variation on a case-by-case basis, upon application to the Technical Manager.

A LAME is issued with a perpetual L2, subject to continued validity of the LAME Licence. No L2 renewal is required.

Looks like they want the L2 to do 2 annual inspections in 2 years.

The Form 12 asks for the details of these 2 inspections [owner , type ,rego , private etc] and the usual name address etc

Frank. You say there is an election for two board members within two months. First Iv'e heard of it, Surely any election would have to be advised to the members, or is it going to be announced only to some members?

Frank. You say there is an election for two board members within two months. First Iv'e heard of it, Surely any election would have to be advised to the members, or is it going to be announced only to some members?

Exact time I don't know but it is required by the new bastardised constitution, so notice will have to be given.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think the L1 exam requirement has met with some resistance from members, I believe only a small percentage of the expected 1200 - 1500 members expected to apply have done so to this stage. Can it be deduced from this that people are still conducting their own L1 maintenance without RAA's authority?. I think the requirement to do an exam for L1 privileges is to make someone's CV look good.

• Agree 3

Good one Bill..... mmmmmmmm......... that CV bit could be Oh! so true.

Nothing to do with s.a.f.e.t.y will come out of something like that.???????

I know I have been banging on about the practical aspect to no avail.

I hear Katie has moved on, wonder why??

KP.