New ASIC requirements

ian00798

It looks like the ASIC system is going to get even more complex and annoying later this year.

Identity security amendments

Even more new categories of ASIC, face to face document checks with the ASIC issuer and other changes to the regulations. I can only imagine what that will do to the cost, and I'm struggling to understand why getting and ASIC should be more complex and irritating than getting a passport even.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the justification?

No doubt the Govt responded to calls for a review of the ASIC system, they contract a Security expert. The expert then finds numerous deficiencies in the system and "fixes" these deficiencies so his security company can screw the aviation industry further!!

• Agree 5

How the hell are you supposed to satisfy the "face to face" requirement given the vast distances between the issuer and applicant in the majority of cases? I bet the charter guys in Kunnununra are loving these changes...

• Agree 1

Absolutely. Seems one background check before getting a licence would be reasonable, after that surely offences that affect your right to fly could be automatically communicated to CASA, and any other relevant agencies? Should be doable, the tax office has software that can data match from nearly everything, apparently AVMED get easy access to our medical records so a database that sorts that kind of thing out should be easy and probably already exists.

• Agree 1

apparently AVMED get easy access to our medical records so a database that sorts that kind of thing out should be easy and probably already exists.

I followed that up a little Ian through a friend who's works in medicine and as far as I can tell they don't get access to much if anything. The database at the moment is an opt in system, which will one day become an opt out system. To which I've already opted out with a fairly simple phone call.

If there is any other record system they have access to then they certainly are being sneaky.

I'm certainly hoping your right there and at the moment I suspect you are right, it's getting very difficult for industry to trust the regulator at the moment, there have been too many debacles recently.

I'm certainly hoping your right there and at the moment I suspect you are right, it's getting very difficult for industry to trust the regulator at the moment, there have been too many debacles recently.

Oh please don't mistake my post as trust in the regulator! It isn't even slightly that. 047_freaked.gif.8ed0ad517b0740d5ec95a319c864c7e3.gif

Trust in the medical profession to adhere to their ethics on doctor patient confidentiality? Well that probably the only hope.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I still don't see why it couldn't be done in a similar way to the working with children check.

1. Organise the check online

2. Once confirmed attend an rta/rmc office and have them confirm your identity and take your photo

3. Done, no need to chase jp's or source passport photos ect ect

has anyone tried to use their ASIC as a form of identification? Even CASA will not accept it. A complete waste of time, effort and money.

National Police Checking Service accepts "• Aviation Security Identification Card/Maritime Security Identification Card".. so there is somewhere you'll be able to use it other than trying for a cheaper coffee at the airport..!

That strikes me as being exactly what CASA and quite possibly those airports want, get rid of GA/RA from there. After all, we can't be trusted to operate within the same postcode as an RPT aircraft without endangering lives.

• Agree 3

Could you legally use your ASIC to gain entry to a cheap coffee place at a major airport. One of the conditions of the card is that you only use it where it is necessary for your flying activity. I don't think gaining access at a major airport would stand up to scrutiny.

Does CASA have anything to do with the requirement for an ASIC? I thought it was dreamed up by a different govt. department.

• Haha 1

What it is Yenn is that if you are wearing your ASIC at a major airport like Tulla, Sydney, Canberra etc and buy a coffee from one of the vendors you will most likely get a discount on the price

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

What it is Yenn is that if you are wearing your ASIC at a major airport like Tulla, Sydney, Canberra etc and buy a coffee from one of the vendors you will most likely get a discount on the price

And good for 10% off Duty Free at AUS/NZ International Arr/Dep ports.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

And good for 10% off Duty Free at AUS/NZ International Arr/Dep ports.

Talk about the $100 hamburger! It would take a month of Sundays to recoup just the cost of parking at Sydney Airport, let alone taking a flight from there.

• Like 1