New ASIC requirements

ian00798

Just a heads up, as the rules change & ASIC holders are required to have a face to face interview for a renewal WEF August security id have put in place various people at aero clubs, flying schools, airports etc that can verify or certify your ID, so the process can still be all done online with in 7-10 days.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just today got my renewed asic, took 2 months to the day.... Any longer and I wouldn't have been able to work, had to arrange a month extension, a lot of headache.

Just a heads up, as the rules change & ASIC holders are required to have a face to face interview for a renewal WEF August security id have put in place various people at aero clubs, flying schools, airports etc that can verify or certify your ID, so the process can still be all done online with in 7-10 days.

Face to Face..What will they think of next? Pilots should be exempt due the requirements/checks needed to get issued a Licence/Certificate. ASICS for airport workers Yes.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

If they did it so you had the option to get it through your local rta/rms office it would make life a lot easier. Surely in a common sense world they would be sufficient for a face to face requirement?

Why aren't passport details enough? Especially if you have held one in ONE name for many years. Nev

Agree Nev..And my last one was renewed on line. NO Face to Face. Are we the only country that has this ASIC system for Aviation and MSIC for maritime?

Where on earth is all this discount coffee? I might have to renew mine if I could reliably get discounted coffee!

I got discounted coffee at Sunshine Coast Airport recently!....hurray for my ASIC

• Haha 1

E-News Issue 31 29 March 2017

Big changes are coming for ASICs

From 1 August 2017 the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development will be implementing major changes to all ASIC issuing bodies and applicants. The major changes are:

• all applicants will need to present in person to an issuing body (or the issuing body's agent) to verify their identity with original documentation.

• new categories of identification documents are being introduced and will replace the current identification document check.

What do these changes mean to you?

These changes will mean members will be required to go and see an RAAus CFI who is acting as an agent on behalf of RAAus to verify their documentation, members will ONLY be able to use CFIs to verify their identification. Shortly, we will be asking for expressions of interest from CFIs to become an agent on behalf of RAAus as an issuing body for the issuance of ASICs.

These changes will be in place from 1 August so from now until then we will be communicating with you regularly with updates as we receive them.

For more information on the changes, please visit the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development's website.

So RAAus pilots have to see a RAAusCFI to authorise their ASIC renewal even though the ASIC may not have been issued by RAAus? What's up with that?!?

I also got my ASIC elsewhere. I won't be going to any CFI if I can help it. Looks like another RAA ploy to dig deeper into your private life....Knowledge is power....

I also got my ASIC elsewhere. I won't be going to any CFI if I can help it. Looks like another RAA ploy to dig deeper into your private life....Knowledge is power....

I think all will be revealed later. I got my ASIC via the CASA authorized agency who i believe are st Merimbula, most GA Pilots do the same as far as i am aware.

Let's wait and see!

• Like 1

If you actually read what was sent out by the RAA you will see this sentence.

From 1 August 2017 the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development will be implementing major changes to all ASIC issuing bodies and applicants.

Which would reveal that this has nothing to do with a big nastie RAA trying to rape and pillage but rather a higher up change which will affect ALL issuing bodies.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder what dire situation has happened to justify this change. We should be investigating the actual threat RAAus planes present to the society rathe than reinforcing and complicating a flawed assumption. Nev

• Agree 6

I get the feeling that ASIC cards are a form of security similar to the "Blue Card" system.

Why is it that the ASIC costs $220 every 2 years but a Blue Card costs about $80 for life or until taken away due to criminal conviction? Are they not doing the same checks? Like federal and state police criminal checks? I wrote to some Federal ministers about this and got the expected throw off reply. The gist of it was, shut up and mind your own business. I think more of us need to write to them for some answers. Particularly the Transport Minister. We are entitled to know as free citizens in a free country under a supposedly open and transparent government.

Tony

• Agree 4

I wonder what dire situation has happened to justify this change. We should be investigating the actual threat RAAus planes present to the society rathe than reinforcing and complicating a flawed assumption. Nev

But I can still drive a tandem steer, bogie drive cement mixer without a security check.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Nightmare, I have to point out that we are not even theoretically free citizens. We are subjects.

This was the result of a vote several years ago, although in all honesty the monarchy vote would not have made any difference here.

I just like to grumble about that vote.

• Agree 1

So RAAus pilots have to see a RAAusCFI to authorise their ASIC renewal even though the ASIC may not have been issued by RAAus? What's up with that?!?

My CFI doesn't have an ASIC ,and I've got to see HIM ?? .... Bob

But I can still drive a tandem steer, bogie drive cement mixer without a security check.Kaz

More to the point Kaz, is that you can still steal a B Double petrol tanker full of fuel and drive it into the city and explode it...no ASIC needed for that.

Personally I believe the ASIC for recreational aviators is a big burden and over kill when they are not going to major airports where potential issues could arise. I also believe that those that fly recreational aircraft have some degree of maturity and a desire of fun in life otherwise they would not have pursued the time and rigor required to get a pilots certificate for just a small aircraft that could not cause any serious amount of damge or injury

• Agree 1

I get the feeling that ASIC cards are a form of security similar to the "Blue Card" system."......................free citizens in a free country under a supposedly open and transparent government."

Tony

Democracy and personal freedom are at best relative terms, at worst just a throw away piece of verbiage.

Transparency, in any form of Government, at any level has and unfortunately, as far as I can see, will always be a joke (on us, the proletariat).

Political and bureaucratic self interest/promotion will always mitigate against true democracy, freedom and transparency.

Constant vigilance, debate, dissent and activism are the only forces that have any hope of combating the above.

As soon as the phrase "she'll be right" is used the battle is lost.

As long as Private/Sport Pilots give in and purchase an ASIC (or similar) to access regional airstrips, so will the authorities/pollies feel justified in keeping it going.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I wonder what training is required for a CFI to become an agent for verifying docs and, importantly, identifying forgeries? Doesn't seem like the sort of things a CFI would have as their main skill set.

As an aside, say one wants to go to Mildura, Merimbula or Birdsville on their AVID, can they but avoid the arestha supports the heavy RPT traffic areas or the field?