New ASIC requirements

ian00798

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That strikes me as being exactly what CASA and quite possibly those airports want, get rid of GA/RA from there. After all, we can't be trusted to operate within the same postcode as an RPT aircraft without endangering lives.

• 1 month later...

Like all sensible people around aviation i cant see how an asic will make small airports any safer! I recently flew into and out of Walget. Didnt see a soul. Terrorists are not interested in flying into the terminal building in a country town. And even if they were, not having a asic wont stop them! They can do more damage using the methods and locations that these scum bags have developed in the last 2 years.

Perhaps we all need a VRSC, ( a van rental security card ). I deplore terrorisim but ASIC DOES NOTHING to make us any safer once you re away from a busy passenger terminal. Why cant our politician see this fact and act on it!

• Agree 10

If Asic is so important at country airports why are the owners geting away with not checking for a valid ASIC

Most local councils wont spend the money ! Thats how seriously they take the risk!

• Agree 4

I think the general consensus is that it's just another revenue raiser. I for one will no longer be renewing my asic card after expiry. I think most have really given up on it.

• Agree 3

Have you seen the alternative service provider list - can't say it increases my desire to pay the government for a useless service.

Aviation ID Australia advise that the list of persons approved to carry out ID checks will be updated. E.g. The Bundy Airport manager will be approved for applicants in this area. It will be similar at other Aerodromes.

Mike.....

Aviation ID Australia advise that the list of persons approved to carry out ID checks will be updated. E.g. The Bundy Airport manager will be approved for applicants in this area. It will be similar at other Aerodromes.Mike.....

Woopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! - I might be able to get this waste of a service at an airfield that I am not supposed to fly into, as a non GA/ASIC pilot (this would be the case in my area). That makes sense?????

AND

How much is the local airport manager (or similar) going to charge for this useless service?????

Who the hell is driving the continued enforcement of this totally discredited kneejerk of a plan??? It seems to have some sort of fantastic life of its own, that continues despite all rational opinion being against it.

Whats it going to take to get the "beast put down" ? The jailing of some innocent pilot because he landed at a near deserted airfield where some idiot determined he must have an ASIC to be there.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

Extract from RAA email received today;

"One option RAAus was exploring as a result of these changes was working with CFIs to provide assistance to members when renewing or applying for an ASIC. Following further investigation and review, the RAAus Board has taken the decision to no longer be an issuing body for the purposes of ASIC.

The new system carries with it complex, and what RAAus believes to be, onerous changes. As an example, face to face processing requirements will inconvenience our members and place pressure on our CFIs. The processes are both burdensome and administratively heavy with no obvious safety or security improvement. Implementing the new changes would add unnecessary cost to RAAus meaning the delivery of this service has essentially become unsustainable.

Furthermore, the risk placed onto our CFIs, staff and the Board has been assessed as too great for RAAus to accept. As an example, as an issuing body, anyone processing an ASIC application will be required to identify fraudulently prepared and forged documents and there are penalties for failure to take all the steps necessary to identify such documents. RAAus does not believe this is the role of our organisation.

Therefore, from 1 August 2017, RAAus will no longer accept applications for an ASIC or renewals for an ASIC, including applications from RAAus members."

RAA clearly criticizes the process making an observation which many have already discussed, and interestingly also noted in the document "no obvious safety or security improvement" , add to that the ridiculous cost and process involved with a system that will only inconvenience honest people and you would have to wonder why they persist with it.

• Agree 1

Extract from RAA email received today;

"One option RAAus was exploring as a result of these changes was working with CFIs to provide assistance to members when renewing or applying for an ASIC. Following further investigation and review, the RAAus Board has taken the decision to no longer be an issuing body for the purposes of ASIC.

The new system carries with it complex, and what RAAus believes to be, onerous changes. As an example, face to face processing requirements will inconvenience our members and place pressure on our CFIs. The processes are both burdensome and administratively heavy with no obvious safety or security improvement. Implementing the new changes would add unnecessary cost to RAAus meaning the delivery of this service has essentially become unsustainable.

Furthermore, the risk placed onto our CFIs, staff and the Board has been assessed as too great for RAAus to accept. As an example, as an issuing body, anyone processing an ASIC application will be required to identify fraudulently prepared and forged documents and there are penalties for failure to take all the steps necessary to identify such documents. RAAus does not believe this is the role of our organisation.

Therefore, from 1 August 2017, RAAus will no longer accept applications for an ASIC or renewals for an ASIC, including applications from RAAus members."

RAA clearly criticizes the process making an observation which many have already discussed, and interestingly also noted in the document "no obvious safety or security improvement" , add to that the ridiculous cost and process involved with a system that will only inconvenience honest people and you would have to wonder why they persist with it.

Its a money maker! GA licence is free and changing that was too hard! Govt have done similar things in many areas. NSW fairtrading now charge a processing fee to process FREE licencees. When i complained i was told to make a complaint to .......... Fairtrading NSW duh ! Asic is a great way to make the public believe that somthing is being done and raise cash whilst doing it.

• Agree 2

Just wondering ............. when did Australia become a dictatorship??

Democratic government is supposed to be on behalf of the people yet the ASIC goes against my understanding of democracy.

A democratic government is fallible. Mistakes are made. Recognised. Corrected

Dictatorships are infallible. Mistakes dont happen. Critics are silenced. Laws are enforced no matter their rational/cost.

Ergo Australia is a dictatorship - at least as far as ASIC goes.

Why don't they just allow it to be done through the rms/rta offices. Surely it would be easier for everyone involved

There is nothing easy about having your arm twisted to pay for an irrational regulation, no matter in what Government "shopfront" you have to conduct the transaction.

The whole thing smacks of the ancient practise of purchasing a religious indulgence to better smooth your way to heaven - total rort back then as ASIC is today.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would encourage everyone to email the Federal Minister about the ASIC Card situation and demand that the system be scrapped, for all the reasons above. If enough pilots do it, maybe change will happen.... maybe....

I emailed him a few months ago and the impression I got with the response was that not many other people are expressing their concerns to them so they don't care.

• Agree 2

I just emailed Barnaby.

Hey OK, can you please post his email address so that I - & hopefully other rortees - can also email him to let him know why we strongly object to such a baseless, blatant extraction of our money?

My local RPT airfield has no security. It is bordered by farmland on all sides, & anybody could walk in at any time. But why would they? Only a fool or a clever accountant could claim an ASIC card makes one jot of difference to a terrorist.

Bruce

• Agree 2
  • More 1

anybody could walk in at any time. But why would they?

Sorry, I realise terrorists are not rational, & need only have 'reasons' that satisfy their own delusions.

What I should have asked, is 'how would not holding an ASIC card prevent some misguided loser from walking in to the airfield?'

And if the authorities need proof of my bona fides, then I have my RAA documentation & a photo i.d. driving licence. And I don't need an ASIC to drive my weapon of mass slaughter on public roads used by RPT vehicles every day.