New ASIC requirements

ian00798

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by a CFI while doing a BFR that an ASIC is required in case I have to divert to an alternative landing site even though I use a private strip most of the time. Are there any instructors or CFIs that can confirm that is or isn't the new directions from the top?

I was told by a CFI while doing a BFR that an ASIC is required in case I have to divert to an alternative landing site even though I use a private strip most of the time. Are there any instructors or CFIs that can confirm that is or isn't the new directions from the top?

Ask this CFI to educate you by showing you this regulation. It simply doesn't exist!!

There's way too much quoting of regulations that don't exist by people who are supposed to know their stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

This is complete rubbish for RAAus. CASA require RPL, PPL and above to have an ASIC or AVID but this is generally only enforced when first obtaining a licence. RAAus has no such requirement unless you actually intend to land at a security controlled airport. If you have an emergency you can still land there without an ASIC. Just let them know after you have landed (if anyone is even around).

Perhaps the confusion is about planning an alternate. If you plan the alternate because your destination has dubious weather and your alternate is a security controlled airport you should probably have an ASIC.

This is complete rubbish for RAAus. CASA require RPL, PPL and above to have an ASIC or AVID but this is generally only enforced when first obtaining a licence. RAAus has no such requirement unless you actually intend to land at a security controlled airport. If you have an emergency you can still land there without an ASIC. Just let them know after you have landed (if anyone is even around).Perhaps the confusion is about planning an alternate. If you plan the alternate because your destination has dubious weather and your alternate is a security controlled airport you should probably have an ASIC.

I was told an alternate must be planed for every flight. The example given to me was if there is an incident at your destination, whether it is a private strip or not, and the runway is closed you need an alternate landing site. I was told it is one of the requirements that an ASIC must be carried with you in the plane on every flight. Once again I ask if there are any Instructors or CFIs that can confirm or deny that this is now the policy of RAAus.

Yes, legally to use a CASA flight crew license, a pilot is required to hold a current AVID or ASIC. While enforced at the time of license application, the requirement is ongoing. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the ASIC system in its present form, but if you fly GA without a security check, you are leaving yourself open to action should you be checked (20 penalty units). Now, part of the purpose of the AFR is to make sure pilots are aware of and complying with regulations, so the instructor checking that a pilot holds an AVID or ASIC is correct in that intent.

To back all this up, have a look at the Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005, section 6.55. In short (I'm on my phone here), a person who is over 18 and holds a security designated authorisation (pilots license is in this definition), must not perform a duty that is essential to the operation of an aircraft unless their aviation security check is current or had been applied for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

... part of the purpose of the AFR is to make sure pilots are aware of and complying with regulations, so the instructor checking that a pilot holds an AVID or ASIC is correct in that intent.

When I do AFRs I try to help pilots wrt that requirement, not a show stopper if they don't have one - and some don't. I take more of an interest doing instructor quaifications as they must set an example for their students, again not a show stopper when I come to tick the pass or fail box, up to them whether they comply with the security requirement to exercise the privileges of their licence. For my own proficiency check recently we only joked about displaying our ASICs as we were at Moorabbin, it wasn't on his list of things to check.
  • Like 1

Are non-Australian International pilots who fly into Australia required to have ASIC's?

No, they have an equivalent ID, only valid when flying an a/c registered in that duristriction to any destination in the world.

As an example I can fly a HKG registered a/c anywhere in the world, but I can't operate a VH registered a/c unless I have an Australian license, medical & ASIC.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I was told an alternate must be planed for every flight. The example given to me was if there is an incident at your destination, whether it is a private strip or not, and the runway is closed you need an alternate landing site. I was told it is one of the requirements that an ASIC must be carried with you in the plane on every flight. Once again I ask if there are any Instructors or CFIs that can confirm or deny that this is now the policy of RAAus.

An alternate "must" be planned if the weather at your destination airport is below minimums, eg; cloud, visibility or crosswind. No legal requirement otherwise. A couple of us have told you that ASICS are not required for RAAUs pilots not wanting to land at security controlled airports. Suggest you call the ops manager at RAAus to put your mind at rest and not to rely on anon posts on the internet.

PapaFox and djpacro thanks for your informed information.

Copy and pasted:

6.55 Exercise of privileges of flight crew licences etc

(1) A person who holds a security designated authorisation must not perform a duty that is essential to the operation of an aircraft while the aircraft is in Australian territory if the Secretary:

(a) has determined that the person has an adverse aviation security status; and

(b) has given a copy of the determination to the person.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note: A pilot licence, a flight engineer licence and a special pilot licence are security designated authorisations—see regulation 1.08 and the Act, section 74G.

(2) Subject to subregulation (4), a person who is over 18, and holds a security designated authorisation, must not perform a duty that is essential to the operation of an aircraft while the aircraft is in Australian territory unless:

(a) his or her aviation security status check is current; or

(b) he or she has requested an aviation security status check.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.

(3) For paragraph (2)(a), a person’s aviation security status check is current at a particular time if:

(a) it was carried out no more than 5 years before that time; or

(b) he or she has requested that a new check be carried out; or

© within the previous 2 years, he or she underwent a background check for the issue of an ASIC.

(4) If a security designated authorisation is issued to a person who is under 18, subregulation (2) does not have effect in relation to him or her until 3 months after his or her 18th birthday.

(2) says it all.