How popular is this site

Admin

Back in August/September after reading the types of posts that were being made it got to a point where I just didn't want to read what was being posted as the site was not what I developed it for, I didn't even want to log in any more...it was very political with users attacking each other, nastiness, antagonistic and no longer were we basically discussing our fun flying times, and our aircraft.

I then recalled what I created the site for and the site objectives from day 1 were always:

1. Increase our flying skills through information exchange

2. Help each to perform correct maintenance on our aircraft

3. Improve our flying safety by exchanging information about our own flying experiences

So, the moderators and I have been working very hard but slowly to change the entire culture of the site back to one of why it was created, that is very friendly and helpful, talking about our flying fun and to uphold our site objectives.

I am reading every single post again and enjoying what I am reading and seeing the types of posts that are being made and I personally thank you for helping to resurrect the site in this manner. The site figures have made a u-turn over the last few months, more posts are being made, the number of registered users that login each day has dramatically increased and many more new users are registering to use the site than before. We have turned the site from a continual downward slide over the last couple of years back to very positive increases in all metrics over the last 4 months.

What is also pleasing is the increase in the site's Australian and world rankings and even more pleasing when you compare this site to RAA's own site...we are streaming ahead to the point that Recreational Flying is now ranked around the 6,000th web site in Australia and 300,000th in the world (that is 300,000th out of around 1 billion):

2.jpg.da5492561c5dfc6180af1cc6068b8851.jpg

Thank you to all and please be assured that we will continue our diligence in making Recreational Flying .com the most friendliest and helpful resource to all recreational aviators...keep posting and above all, help each other in our recreational flying endeavours

1.jpg.aca62a3739e180f67433d3cd8d77f68c.jpg

• Like 19
  • Winner 9

Congratulations Ian, and well done to those who've been positive, constructive, and informative! Aviators can only benefit from a sharing and supportive culture.

Ian, thanks for this service to our flying community, and thanks to the moderators for your role in this. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Thanks Ian,

I wake up every morning get a coffee and go to my computer and log into your site. You need to be congratulated for the service you provide.

There's always a bit of banter between members , different views all adds to the mix.

I have learnt so much about aviation in general from your site, for a low hours pilot like me it's priceless.

Thanks again,

keep up the good work, Cheers Butch

• Agree 1

Cheers Ian. Sites like these will never be totally hassle free with so many differing opinions on subjects most are very passionate about and the odd 1 or 2 causing issues. The Mods here have a good grip on things which makes it a great site to be a member of. Keep up the great work. Cheers Marty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I then recalled what I created the site for and the site objectives from day 1 were always:

3. Improve our flying safety by exchanging information about our own flying experiences

Ian,

These three may have been your reasons for creating the site, and good ones they are. But we've added our own objective and have made the site a social club, as well. Due to the tyranny of distance, we can't gather together physically as one might in a local pub, or club. This site gives us a chance to overcome that tyranny. Most of us would not know, face to face, the majority of members if we tripped over them but we know each other by what we write about and how we write.

Sure there are differences. There's Libs and Laborites; atheists, agnostics and the Faithful. Strewth, there's even Poms and Kiwis amongst the members. The good thing is that we can all put in our two bob's worth; engage in some leg pulling, and argue the toss in relative polite ways. We all know that if we get nasty, we cop a ban. Isn't that what happens in every local pub or club? There's even a chance for us to contribute to your three original objectives. If we can haul ourselves away from the bar.

The site has been like Topsy. It just growed. It might be the 6000th most popular site in Australia, but are those other popular sites non-political, non-sectarian or non self-aggrandising? I reckon this site is further towards the top of the list of special interest sites.

OME

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Guest FlyingPhil

I take full credit for the upswing. I've been a member for about a week, so that's has to be the reason .

Yes, it's hard to be me.

(Seriously, Thanks for your efforts. You are the BHP of forums - 'the quiet achievers')

Must be popular Ian I come here every day exception being if I'm camped up with no internet .

I don't read every post only those of interest to me .

I don't post myself very often .

Bernie .

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I love this site and check it pretty much every day, the information and experiences that other members bring to this site through their love of all things flying has been of great help, and an inspiration. Keep up the great work, and as my own knowledge base slowly builds I hope that I can contribute a little as well.

• Like 2

Many Thanks for all the effort and money you put into this great site Ian.I check in a few times a day. Always something new to follow.

Mike.....

Likewise me.

Ian, I regularly donated to your site as I loved logging in at least daily.

No reminder this year re donations!

cheers

• Like 1

Congratulations Ian,

This site has been my window onto the world of aviation, particularly when I'm away at work in foreign parts -and can't actually fly. In terms of practical information, guidance and aviation knowledge I'm not surprised you're scoring ahead of the RAA site. The integration of GA and Rec flyers and their knowledge is also really useful.

Thanks so much for your efforts and persistence with the site. Another daily visitor here.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I start my day with a visit to this site (well, after F/b) and every day, I find snippets of advice for good or bad. Without it, I could be heading for trouble one day so, Ian, I fullheartedly thank you, and the moderators,for your time and effort in running this site.

• Like 2

RecFlying is my first tab and I am on every day. Love reading about everything and contributing where I can. I have discovered some other forums for other topics I am interested in, but none comes close to RecFly. That's why I am a first class member - I use it and support it. My fav is the building & design blogs. I have introduced others to RF and they find what is useful to them - tutorials, media, resources, but most come back for the forum. Nice to see more overseas users. Thanks Ian

• Like 1

.....Thank you to all and please be assured that we will continue our diligence in making Recreational Flying .com the most friendliest and helpful resource to all recreational aviators...keep posting and above all, help each other in our recreational flying endeavours

Hi Ian. I'm not sure what thread is most appropriate for this suggestion.

As you've observed, your Recreational Flying forum has developed into a fine community of co-supportive aviators. Apparently, many were at the recent Lethbridge fly-in, but amongst the 70 or so people attending, I had no idea how to identify them. Same thing with Narromine, Temora, etc. etc.

Perhaps if you devised a "Recreational Flying" website cap, or badge, or "branded" name-tag... we could spot one-another immediately & begin serious aviation chats (or continue where we left off "online").

Perhaps you already have this sort of thing in Clear Prop, but I haven't seen it. It could either be something people buy, or perhaps only for "First Class Member" contributors/donators, or perhaps included with purchases over $200...?

Feel free to elevate this suggestion amongst other forum members to see what sort of take-up this suggestion has.

Thanks Ian,

Dave

• Like 1

I wonder, as OME suggested, it is also:

4. a great social site for like-minded aviation enthusiasts.

5. a fantastic forum where aircraft builders encourage each other and share valuable ideas and techniques.

?

I also believe that, for less than a dollar a week, getting a first class membership is worth considering for those who have not thought about this yet. Fifty dollars per annum is money well spent.

Regards,

eightyknots

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hi Ian. I'm not sure what thread is most appropriate for this suggestion. As you've observed, your Recreational Flying forum has developed into a fine community of co-supportive aviators. Apparently, many were at the recent Lethbridge fly-in, but amongst the 70 or so people attending, I had no idea how to identify them. Same thing with Narromine, Temora, etc. etc.

Perhaps if you devised a "Recreational Flying" website cap, or badge, or "branded" name-tag... we could spot one-another immediately & begin serious aviation chats (or continue where we left off "online").

Perhaps you already have this sort of thing in Clear Prop, but I haven't seen it. It could either be something people buy, or perhaps only for "First Class Member" contributors/donators, or perhaps included with purchases over $200...?

Feel free to elevate this suggestion amongst other forum members to see what sort of take-up this suggestion has.

Thanks Ian,

Dave

Firstly, Ian, this is a great site. I visit it much more than another forum that covers GA and LAA in the UK, which is where all my flying is done at the moment. The members are refreshingly courteous, humorous and in adversity, usually very civil; I have only read 1 post where it could be considered aggressive or offensive to other posters, but compared to he other forum (no, not PPRUNE), it was still civilised-ish. So well done 107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Re the above, the other forum I am a member of have regular local catch ups with forumites (drinks and dinners usually), and they sponsor of the forum provide branded lanyards (it also advertises them at things like fly-ins, etc). I don't think they are expensive to make, but make it a helluvalot easier to find people you have never met and use useless (or, as in my case no) avatars. Maybe one for each first class member (I will get there) and/or purchase over a certain amount; a few to hand out at fly ins or at clubs, etc.

Best of luck for the future...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some antagonism is creeping back in to posts. Please DO NOT play the man, ONLY comment on the subject.

Do not use phrases in similar tones of "You are wrong", do not refer to other users and their posts in a negative way...comment on what you believe in your post and let the users read your reasoning so they can make up their own minds...don't come across as opinionated as no one will give you the time of day or any credence to your post and the time you put in to creating your post will be just a waste of your time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Ian. I'm not sure what thread is most appropriate for this suggestion. As you've observed, your Recreational Flying forum has developed into a fine community of co-supportive aviators. Apparently, many were at the recent Lethbridge fly-in, but amongst the 70 or so people attending, I had no idea how to identify them. Same thing with Narromine, Temora, etc. etc.

Thanks Ian,

Dave

Hi Dave and all

How would it work if interested people placed a lable of thier site name at the outside latch of the left side window or doore / canopy of thier aircraft. That would be a start at linking up at flyins. And maybe place your mobile contact on the seat. My next flyins are Lakeside at Easter Sat/Sun and Old Station end of May. Cheers Mike