Australian Residential Airparks

Guest Bendorn

Does anyone know of a private airpark not attached to a public aerodrome?

A few months back I received a very slick DVD from a mob selling a very upmarket airpark development at Margaret River here in WA. It was backed by an asian consortium and hotel chain, with all the building being done by the developers and the houses sold 'off the plan'. These were definitely aimed at the 'top end of town', but some were to be retained by the consortium for use as expensive rental holiday homes. It was a 'green field' development, and the runways were to be tarmac and quite long, with lighting. I have heard nothing since the DVD though, so maybe they didn't get either funding or permission.

Guest Bendorn

I've just found out that 80% of the Whitsunday development has been sold. Not sure if that's 80% of the stage or 80% of the whole lot. Either way, 1/4 acre blocks are $585,000 up to $855,000........

Peter... Can you remember where abouts near Noosa? I'll look for it on Google Earth if you have a better location..

Guest pecram air

Rylstone is an interesting little strip approx 30K SE of Mudgee. Nice town with a couple of cafes, bakery and 2 pubs (the Globe has been on a few lifestyle shows) but not much else in the area. The strip is about 7K out of the town.

I believe Scone, NSW has room on it's Aerodrome for such a park. Was considering it too.

Lovely place, with a huge Woolworth's in town (no doubt thanks to the late Kerry Packer and his investment in the marvelous and massive Equestrian centre just outside the Aerodrome and town.

• 1 month later...

Bairnsdale

Bendorn,

As I mentioned, I haven't had any further information from them, and they were asking people for expressions of interest, so perhaps there wasn't enough interest, or more likely it is just taking a while to get it started.

When I get home, in a few weeks, I will try to dig up the information that I was sent, and if I can find it I will post on this thread.

Regards

Kirk

The Whitsunday airpark is about 80% sold for all stages. I'm working out of here at the moment and it is going to be a tight squeeze with all the houses and the new taxiways. The strip has just been shortened to 900 meters (about 700 useable) to start the sealing of the stip with restricted access to parking and fuel. So if you are coming in here give the airport a call and get the latest info as it will be always changing over the next year or so.

Not much work going on at the moment as our parking area is under about a foot of water! Got to love the wet season!!!!

Adam.

Peter... Can you remember where abouts near Noosa? I'll look for it on Google Earth if you have a better location..

Sorry about the delay

was about 5-6 years ago, situated several miles to the north/northwest of noosa airstrip and fronted onto a lake

i remember flying and landing on the strip at Noosa only took a few minutes --Noosa strip was supposedly closed but the locals were using it.

If you need more info I am away at present but will be back home soon and I could look it up in my logbook

Guest palexxxx

Hi Peter,

Was this airstrip at 26 degrees 18 min S,

and 152 degrees 58 min E. and fronting Lake Cootharba?

Peter.

PS. You can just see the eastern end of the strip in the high resolution section to the west of the Lake.

Guest Bendorn

What Would Your Preferences Be?

If you were looking at buying a block within a Airpark Development, what would you be looking for?

• Minimum Land Size?

• Price?

• How many blocks within development?

• Facilities?

• Runway... Sealed or Grass or both?

• Annual Maintenance fees?

• Onsite LAME?

• Rules, ie. VFR only? Residents/Guests only?

• Commercial entities? Flight School?

Hit me with all your thoughts, even if they're dreams......!!

Ben ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bendorn,

I saw what the Whitsundays 1/4 acre blocks were worth, ouch!

There's a 20 block residential air park with 1000m grass strip being built 18k west of Maryborough.

It's at the survey stage and will be completed before the end 2008.

A 3 acre block there is only $145K. Looks a bit more affordable

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

You would be better to send him a personal messaage (forum policy about commercial interests).

His user name is drkgld, I've spoken to him about the airpark blocks myself, he will be able to answer all your questions.

Graeme

Having just joined this forum I hope this reply does not constitute commercial content. I am in the process of developing Rylstone Aerodrome into an Airpark. It has most exciting prospects as long as I can jump through the "hoops" of local Gov etc. We expect to have a DA by September 2008. I am particularly interested to hear from anyone who is interested in preliminary information on this very exciting opportunity.

Jack - I wanted to do one at Wallan here in Victoria that had a focus on Recreational including a Museum of recreational aircraft and a Recreational Flying school but alas it was not to happen - this time.

Airpark

Jack - I wanted to do one at Wallan here in Victoria that had a focus on Recreational including a Museum of recreational aircraft and a Recreational Flying school but alas it was not to happen - this time.

I know just the place ;)

Will a 3-acre block be big enough for your museum and a 900m runway be long enough for your flying school?

Derek

Airpark

If you were looking at buying a block within a Airpark Development, what would you be looking for?

• Minimum Land Size?

• Price?

• How many blocks within development?

• Facilities?

• Runway... Sealed or Grass or both?

• Annual Maintenance fees?

• Onsite LAME?

• Rules, ie. VFR only? Residents/Guests only?

• Commercial entities? Flight School?

Hit me with all your thoughts, even if they're dreams......!!

Ben ;)

Doesn't it really come down a choice between :

1. a small club-style airpark built by a pilot wanting to share his dream -- with large residential lots, surrounded by greenery and country air, and a grass strip shared by a small group of recreational fliers who know each other; or

2. a large airport-style airpark built by a developer in it for the money -- with small residential lots, surrounded by concrete and exhaust fumes, and a sealed strip shared by hundreds of assorted users (including GA, commercial aviation and even scheduled jet flights)?

I'm definitely going for the former. Hangar your plane where you'd choose to live, don't live there just because it's where you have to hangar your plane.

Derek

I know just the place ;) Will a 3-acre block be big enough for your museum and a 900m runway be long enough for your flying school?

Derek

Where is it Derek?