Australian Residential Airparks

Guest Bendorn

Taree are also trying to get an airpark together. First stage though will be to develop just hangars and strip, with an airpark over the other side of the main strip in a couple of years. Tenders have been in for a while now, but no more news as yet.

See below for the council plans:

http://www.gtcc.nsw.gov.au/webcomm/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=1265

Kev

Where is it Derek?

Ian,

If you'd like to either post or PM me with some details about your museum/flying school idea, I think we might be able to get some synergy going.

Regards,

Derek

I'm not flippant, just irreverent.

• 3 years later...

Denmark, Western Australia has opened a small new air park in the SW corner of WA. Half sold out, five properties left adjoining the Shire-owned airport which is single runway 1200 meters, paved, lighted, 30 NM west of Albany WA. Half acre lots, reasonably priced, active recreational aviation community, SAAA chapter, high per capita density of home built airplanes. Sits overlooking Wilson Inlet, nice setting, on the coastline. Home sites face north overlooking a permanent green belt area. I know because I have a hangar there and we are getting ready to build a Airport Association club house funded by sweat equity from members and money from the air park developer. More members and aviators welcome. See airport web site now being updated www.fly-denmark.com.au

Fred Moreno

• Agree 1

There is also Yarrawonga in the NE of Victoria. Handy to Lake Mulwalla if you like fishing.David

Yes, David, I like Yarrawonga too.

It's north of the Divide and gets the better winter weather, is close to fresh water and a very nice town, and the council has been very proactive in developing aviation associated businesses there.

.... any other yachties out there?Ozzie

Not for many years, Ozzie, and mainly little ones although I did get to spend a day on the Winston Churchill a very long time ago. I think the last time I went sailing was in a mate's 505 when we headed out into Port Philllip on a stormy day and gave ourselves a bit of a fright.

In another life I drove a 28 foot Devil Cat with twin 250's on the back. This got along quite nicely! It was a diving platform used for assessing and monitoring Victoria's many historic shipwrecks and it took me to many interesting sites. I also crewed on a 76' Fisheries Patrol boat which had twin 1100 hp MANs pushing it along and have held a Coxwain's ticket for outside for many years.

It's a toss up between PP Heads on a bad day and the Mallacoota bar wind against tide as to which was the most demanding piece of water I ran through.

kaz

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since anything was added to this thread and rather than starting a new thread, I thought it may be of interest to some of you that the Airpark that was proposed west of Maryborough in Queensland back in 2008 is now in the final stages of being prepared for council submission and from what I've heard, the Fraser Coast Regional Council has looked favourably on this new proposal.

The only reason it looks like being approved this time is because the unworkable development legislation that the Bligh Government implemented has been removed.

It's about time sanity prevailed.

Let's hope more councils around Australia will take note and get behind more of these Airpark developments.

looks like a good area on google earth. do you know how long the proposed strip is and how many blocks there will be?...Something like Pacific Haven maybe?....... I must catch up with Brian G and see how he is going there now

DRUIDVALE in the flinders ranges

Wilpena pound top left

We've been thinking-about-cabins

For holiday fly ins , walking distance to camp ,

Not many facilities , but for those who want piece and quiet .

Lots of air traffic fly through the flinders ranges on there cross country epics .

image.jpg.982a4626a03da24054e0abdbfacc2b88.jpg

• Like 5

This looks like a great development, I'm not on Facebook so I'll take your word for it regarding costs of the lots. What impresses me is that it's the local authority investing in local aviation...well done to them! Thanks for posting this airpark info.

• Agree 1

DRUIDVALE in the flinders rangesWilpena pound top left

We've been thinking-about-cabins

For holiday fly ins , walking distance to camp ,

Not many facilities , but for those who want piece and quiet .

Lots of air traffic fly through the flinders ranges on there cross country epics .

[ATTACH=full]31501[/ATTACH]

Buy way , any bodys welcome to fly in , camp , or visit any time . Good safe runways

Pm for details

Mike .

• Like 4

There are some nice developments coming on stream. "Onya" to the Councils who are friendly to the aviation community!

It's sad that we've gotten to the point in Australia we need to plead and beg for councils approval. They are supposedly our servants yet it's like a fiefdom. The bronzed ozzie surfy has become a fluoro safety shirt wearing serfy.

• Agree 2

To be fair to Councils (and I have worked in the Development Approval area) they have to balance the expectations of the constituents, the environment, State & Federal Governments and business. Developers are in it for the money (except for a small minority), so the argument is always on to get the most for the least outlay. Councils are also mindful of what problems the Developer might then pass on to the new landholders. For example it is easier to require the Developer to lay a water main to all blocks than it is to leave each landholder to individually apply for and construct a water main; with some inequities, in that the first applicant would be required to pay to bring the water from its terminus to the Development and then to their block, with a continual digging & building disrupting roads and footpaths and disputes with the one who refuses to participate or share costs. Similarly with power.

Councils have Planning and Zoning documents which outline what goes where. The big money is to be made by getting permission to put something where it was not allowed. For example getting permission to allow one ha lots in the rural zone (eg min. 450ha lots). The value of these lots per hectare is many times greater than the rural lot. The land is also then lost to broadacre farming.

Where there is an existing airstrip, the issues are usually around the size of the lots and services. Where the airstrip is proposed or has not been active for some years, there are questions about the impact on the surrounding landholdings. Airparks are complex because the Developer is usually proposing a rural zone, but is requesting much smaller blocks (eg one acre where the minimum is say 450ha) and arguing that due to the rural nature of the area no reticulated water or sewer would be provided and only a gravel standard road, and in some cases argue that the runway/taxiway be the road access, with no storm water provision. Who owns the airstrip and how it will be maintained? If the Developer does and then walks away from maintaining it or denies access to it, the reason for the small blocks evaporates and it becomes a defacto rural residential in a Rural zone removing agricultural land from its primary purposes and introducing a "village" of people who may then object to the agricultural industries surrounding them.

Do your homework before buying into one, particularly before all the Council's conditions have been met, or if they are other than freehold.

Sue

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

At Rylstone the blocks a all freehold but the runways and clubhouse is community property and operates like a strata title in a set of units. This allows each block to be levied quarterly to create a budget to allow ongoing maintenance and upgrades. Once fully constructed there will be a budget to be administered by a community council of land holders to allocate the yearly work.

Narromine has opened up stage 4 and allocated a bundle of money to industrial hanger lots along highway.

Large hangers with "crew"accomodation i heard.

Some of each are sold already

To be fair to Councils (and I have worked in the Development Approval area) they have to balance the expectations of the constituents, the environment, State & Federal Governments and business...Sue

All true Sue, but as GG said, they are meant to be Public SERVANTS; they should strive to facilitate good things happening- not put petty impediments in the way. I have experienced far too much of the latter, almost none of the former.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1