Ballistic Chute

Admin

Not having any experience with bang-chutes or the procedures for their operation, I'd expect the emergency procedures would be similar for bang-seats (ejection seats) where the decision to deploy the chute or seat is a reaction, not something to be done after careful thought or planning i.e. X happens, do Y, if Y fails pull Z.

The benefit of hindsight and armchairs allows us to look back at deployments or ejections and question the logic of whether it should have happened or not. Unless there's someone lurking in these forums who have been in the situation where they had to make that choice (chute or seat) and willing to contribute to the discussion, all we can do is ponder "what if...".

Not very long ago there was a report of a chute deployed because the pilot feared he was going to become unconscious. The result was he lived, he did not lose consciousness, although he could not have known that outcome. The pilot ended up a paraplegic, because the plane come down in a dam and there was no cushioning from a collapsing undercarriage, it came to a sudden stop when the fuse and wings hit the water. The pilot said even though he ended up in a wheelchair, he would not change his action in hindsight.

There was also a Cirrus parachute deployment where the guy passed out, the aircraft then descended (nobody knows how quickly) and he came around at or near VNE and decided to pull the handle because he wasn't sure if he went through VNE and structural damage 'could' have occurred when he was passed out! Sounded to me like he just wanted to pull the handle to see what happened.

Guest Flyer40

Saw some data somewhere that suggested up to a 20g landing under the canopy if you hit something hard like Yenn described.

It would seem that BRS equipped air frames need some thought given to seat design. It's probably only achievable on new designs, but diverting some of the vertical impact energy into a collapsing seat frame could reduce the g load to below that which spinal damage is likely. Helicopters have already been down this path with seat design so theres bound to be data already available.

Something many may not be aware of -

These systems must be serviced periodically, generally every 7 years.

At this stage they have to sent back to the manufacturer overseas.

Now here's the twist, you can not air freight them because they are too dangerous to carry in an aircraft??????

;););)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Bretto

I think should be an option, let the owner decide if they want one or not

Me personally i think i would have one just for the incase scenario

And wana - why not have both?

Mick, You can airfreight. I bought a BRS out from the States a few years back. The shipping was very costly as the rocket section had to be packed in a special container. The service time from memory was about 7 years & it would probably be easier to buy a new rocket rather than send the old one back for servicing & pay the freight both ways!!

Regards Pete