building my Savannah-S in germany

MajorTom

Hey Major Tom;

Congratulations and a tip pf my hat for a fine looking airplane.

I have often heard references to the "RV grin";   the picture of the man in the pax seat  (you, I assume)    suggests the "Savannah Smile" equally paraphrases our experiences.

Fly Safely,

Canada Dan

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By now, I have 30 landings with my Savannah and 25 more in a teachers Savannah. Slowly I am getting used to it. Esp. the amount of trimming is new to me. In flight school C42 there was no trimming needed.

There is one thing I need to solve. My rudder does not move easy enough. It needs a little to much force and seems to move kind of stepwise (hope this was english). Any idea?

The UK?

Aren't Rotax engines available from Austria any more?

Indeed they are but I found this one rebuilt by one of the few people I would trust to fly behind.

Hi Thomas just hope you have as many landings as take offs? The rudder sounds like it might be rubbing on something or it might be worth rechecking the bushes and spacing washers for the hinges. One other thought that really worried me at one point was the control horn on the rudder itself and weather the connection points should point up or down? 

1446338905_Savannahrudder(20).thumb.jpg.689a2bca3199852c850f79325f1ce6d5.jpg

There is one thing I need to solve. My rudder does not move easy enough. It needs a little to much force and seems to move kind of stepwise (hope this was english). Any idea?

The short pedals are the issue as well. I extended my pedals and its just fabulous now..just have to squeeze them for rudder control. Release your cables at the joiner plates and make sure the rudders move freely then check the pedals are not clamped to hard. if all of this is ok then I suggest extending your pedals. I found mine were a little hard to push in standard form but the extensions are great. i have big feet though so I needed to extend them as my angle of my feet were applying the brakes

Mark, you and I had a conversation at one point about the rudder pedal size. I can't find it, but as I recall the pedals supplied now are larger (longer) than those supplied for your XL by about 20mm (?) but not as large as the addon mod you then did.

On my own build, I notice the nosewheel bungee gives a fair degree of stiffness when rotating the (otherwise free-moving) nosewheel leg, and since this is all part of the rudder linkage, I assumed there would be some stiffness there.

I extended mine by 60mm. Yes I now remember the talk about it. The bracket stiffiners can foul the steering rod when the nosewheel is fully extended..thats another thing to look at. I ground mine out a little I think I ha to take about 1mm off them so it didnt rub on that bracket. My brackets are different the new bracket goes right around now in front of the leg. Its the side area you need to look at Tom..it will be a problem when you are flying. thanks for the reminder Bob

Thanks for the advise, I will check that.

And Bob, now that you mention it, I remember, when I installed the bungee, my front leg became stiff too. But I see no way to change that.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem partly solved. Seems the clamps holding the rudder pedals where to thight. I just put 2 Nm on the bolts, but even that was to tight for new parts with paint on them.

I love flying my Savannah!

I had to drill my rudder pedal clamps out: they would have been hopelessly tight. Though I'm still a fair way from using them.

Blue skies...)

I had to drill my rudder pedal clamps out: they would have been hopelessly tight. Though I'm still a fair way from using them.Blue skies...)

You can't sit in the cabin and make "broom broom" noises?

I'm at the paint-the-shell stage, but I've managed to miss the milder weather.

I'm going to rotisserie the fuse for painting (I need all the help I can get to get that right) so I've left the undercarriage off until that's done.

And this build has the adjustable seats, I don't want to rivet in the underseat pans until I have the wiring, fuel stuff etc through there.

So, no...I don't get to sit in the cabin and make the noises.

But i would like to.............(

• 10 months later...

Hey Friends,

it has been some while since my last post. Sorry I was bussy flying my Savannah. First 10 hours I did solo flights then my friends wanted to go with me. I love the look on their face, when we are crusing the air. Right now the hobs couter reads 76 hours and the list of friends to go flying is much longer then the list of friends already done it.

I want to take the opportunity to again say thanks to you. You where a great help. What would I have done without the collection of tipps I got esp. from Mark and Kyle. Thanks Guys... you are great!spacer.pngspacer.png

IMG_20190324_131646.thumb.jpg.6ae668379d8911e91b84fef739ae193f.jpg

IMG_20190324_163800.thumb.jpg.b078a31f118e683fde3bca5c314dacfb.jpg

20180627_181503.thumb.jpg.2957715abee0985e46048ad7df5ee5e7.jpg

IMG_20181016_163057_1.thumb.jpg.6df7918e2bdf843823976ccfe3f0c5cc.jpg

• Like 5

Glad to see you are up up and away with your new bird. She looks very good. I see you went with the 2 Xtreme units as well..good choice..I have been very happy with mine. Glad I could also help you along the way as well. We are all here to learn more and enjoy our lives

Mark

Hi Tom, It's great to see your aircraft flying! This will inspire me to work on my Savannah and get mine in the luft as well.

I like the colour too.

Could you post a picture of the complete dash panel?

• 2 weeks later...