Sport Pilot, Your views

-Rod-

So.... subs went up, get over it. Still one of the cheapest "clubs" to be a member of and aircraft owners get a lot of benefits and privaledges.Nothing stoppong older rag n tube doing what they always did YET less and less doing it. RAA are catering to the bulk of the members even if some dont like that.

Without the other end of the market Id suggest RAA would be long gone. They in fact sponsor the running of the organisation and efforts made to keep legacy types flying with equal rights as a new aircraft.

Regulations dont stop evoling and getting harder, even standing still takes effort and growth.

Have to get over the drempt up internal competition learn to pull together or CASA will succeed in seeing all other than RPT grounded.

Not catering for the old school.

Not allowing us if we choose to get on with it as we always have

Simple example - what the hell are 4 stage inspections doing on 95.10 and no mods on 95.10 without clearance.

Absolutely NOT able to keep on as we were and all head GA like without regard for evidence based regulation.

RAAus are a law u to themselves and heading towards the death of anything old school.

Frankly my experience with tech leads me to believe they are really only interested in $100k airframes that came out of a factory and are maintained by other than owners in ever not GA like operations.

Over RAAus as it currently operates and eagerly awaiting ELAAA to give out some docs to see how they will actually operate and then make a move. The fact they do not want to cover weightshift is odd given their reach into rotorcraft but if they can operate in a lighter touch way to RAAus then I'll move and work on them to expand coverage.

RAAus is not a member organisation anymore and not looking to minimum aviation which was the distinction the existed between GA and what we were.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem for the magazine is the large amount of relatively low value information it contains, by separating the membership from the subscription it just highlighted the lack of value in the content.

Improve the content and you might win a few subscriptions but there is too much high value content online to compete with. Its said newspapers are dying because they are printing news you already know, the same goes for Sport Pilot.

• Agree 2

The deliberate move by the raa board regarding the fee increase by stealth via not supplying what was supplied re sport pilot, is I think indicative of the direction the organization is being led, after all who needs an ultralight magazine when theirs plenty of GA and light sport ones more suitable to their intended direction.

Right on

Not catering for the old school.Not allowing us if we choose to get on with it as we always have

Simple example - what the hell are 4 stage inspections doing on 95.10 and no mods on 95.10 without clearance.

Absolutely NOT able to keep on as we were and all head GA like without regard for evidence based regulation.

RAAus are a law u to themselves and heading towards the death of anything old school.

Frankly my experience with tech leads me to believe they are really only interested in $100k airframes that came out of a factory and are maintained by other than owners in ever not GA like operations.

Over RAAus as it currently operates and eagerly awaiting ELAAA to give out some docs to see how they will actually operate and then make a move. The fact they do not want to cover weightshift is odd given their reach into rotorcraft but if they can operate in a lighter touch way to RAAus then I'll move and work on them to expand coverage.

RAAus is not a member organisation anymore and not looking to minimum aviation which was the distinction the existed between GA and what we were.

I am with you Kasper

My 2c..

I havent read it since it went digital. I tried once and if I remember correctly it was all too bothersome and clunky to access. And I am a digital native, I read everything online, so that's really saying something.

Did I find it a worthwhile read?, absolutely, Im probably missing heaps of valuable content.

Do I even know where to go and read SP now? I have no idea, I vaguely remember having to login somewhere with some new account details? So now I am totally disconnected from my representative organisation except for the odd email I sometimes see slide by in my ever busy inbox.

I think the removal of physical presence in going digital has significantly diminished the brand awareness.

Cheers

R

• Agree 2

(EDITED BY MOD)

Anyway I too haven't read any digital SP mags but mainly because I am too lazy to go find them, if they came as a PDF attachment in an email I would be more likely to peruse them. Going fully digital probably makes good economical sense. I haven't subscribed to the physical copy although if it was an option on my membership renewal I would, same story as before, I am just too lazy to go chase it up.

I know I may be an extreme example of a lazy consumer but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to

1: send the PDF of the mag via email to members

2: put the option of mag subscription on the renewal forms similar to the gyfts sponsorship thingy.

• Like 1

Id say its a very typical level of lazyness but with uncommon homesty about it.

Maybe pdf burns time and data, dont know. Some email setups block them.

Including magazine subs in renewal is a good idea

Would like nothing better than magazine to pay its way with more people subscribing.

To test the process I decided to log in to RA-Aus website & download a magazine. The whole process from selecting the website, logging in, selecting the Sportpilot page and right clicking on the pdf of the mag I wanted, downloading it and opening it in Adobe Acrobat took 48 seconds. I have ADSL with a typical download speed of 10-11 mb/s so the NBN would be even quicker. It is one of the simplest processes on the web so why anyone who has even the most basic browsing knowledge would find it difficult is beyond me.

• Agree 2

This is why my argument about the low quality of the information is the only relevant one, the only reason I read my junk mail is I have it in my hand when I take it too the recycling. Sport pilot was the same, when it was mandatory people read it.

• 2 weeks later...

Prrhaps im sliding off topic again... but.....

I noticed this morning whilst attempting to read a newspaper article online using my ipad mini. That what actually was annoying me was having to scroll the text sideways and up or down. But particularly the left and right scrolling . If you think about this in terms of reading a paper document you dont use your hands other than to turn the pages. Ie. you move your eyes and your head to track the text. And as a youngish / older person i have done this automaticaly since learning to read and now this process is interrupted by using a finger to bring the text onto the screen. ( if i shrink the screen its too small ) i guess i could use a desktop computer with a big monitor but it wont fit in the loo! Bring back cave painting , i was good at that!

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

It might be OK for those with a good internet connection, but I have a download speed of 11 to 57kB/s and no mobile phone connection where I live 25km from one o the biggest industrial cities in Qld.

• Agree 2

It might be OK for those with a good internet connection, but I have a download speed of 11 to 57kB/s and no mobile phone connection where I live 25km from one o the biggest industrial cities in Qld.

Yep , the fact that we are supposed to be a Commonwealth ( note that it is common and wealth ) has long been forgotten .

• 2 weeks later...

I also go to the RAA website to download it as a .pdf. Much easier and will download to both laptop and ipad. Couldn't always download it from ISSU, but no problem at all as a .pdf.

I would still prefer to read a hard copy but I am not keen to pay extra for it.

• Agree 1

Thanks FT, the grumble was just about broadband as I get the hardcopy of the magazine. It's a legitimate grumble tho. I got better internet at Coober Pedy than I do here. And it's better at the Edenhope farm than here.

On the bright side of things, the TV works now. It was terrible until a couple of years ago, so much so that smart antenna guys stayed away.

Whacko how things change.

I was talking to a news agent the other day. He was telling me there is a trend developing back to paper magazines.

So this digital experiment with these magazine producers is not as exciting as they thought, wonder what the news papers have discovered.

Just stop and think. To get digital we must have internet service, the other big one who pays for this data and data time, the only real winner is the magazine producer. A magazine can be transported from shed to shed house to house and then be handed about.

Tablets take managing:- electricity to charge, purchase data time, not all people can see what is on the phone.

KP

• Like 1