Sport Pilot, Your views

-Rod-

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep , the fact that we are supposed to be a Commonwealth ( note that it is common and wealth ) has long been forgotten .

I traded off "perfect" for faster internet. You can't always get what you want, particularly if someone else is subsidising it. Talk to OPTUS, no public servants there and always willing do give customers quality services.

Good luck to you Col,I have found them just as bad as Telstra and when I go out into the diglies only service which works out there is Telstra.

KP

I was being a bit sarky - if there is a quid in it for the non Telstra players they will provide a service - if they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they don't have one. Telstra has a statutory obligation to provides a service - basic telephony. I think it is time that the gument (ACCC) set the dogs onto OPTUS to force them to provide a proper service.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Building the NBN on a copper network means as the copper corrodes performance and reliability degrades.

Yes, it's called "planned obsolescence" and it's a real earner for those who own the infrastructure (or those with the connections to allow them to buy it).

Building the NBN on a copper network means as the copper corrodes performance and reliability degrades.

The reliability of any comms network is vastly more impacted by domestic re-arrangements (renovations) and roadworks than mere corrosion. Copper is also very good for keeping the service going despite being exposed to the elements but glass doesn't like being stretched or bent. Moral - don't poke the bear.

there are other issues, FTTP doesn't require power where as each FTTN node needs power and only has a footprint of about 5kms. as they have rolled out the FTTN the cost savings have disappeared because most of the copper has failed testing

I was being a bit sarky - if there is a quid in it for the non Telstra players they will provide a service - if they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they don't have one. Telstra has a statutory obligation to provides a service - basic telephony. I think it is time that the gument (ACCC) set the dogs onto OPTUS to force them to provide a proper service.

You on to it Col,

How would Australia been developed if the stupid profit attitude been around when the pioneers put rail, phones, roads etc. etc together.

Too much empathise is put on immediate profit instead of the long term picture.. Statutory obligation would fix it you know.

With profit profit and more profit the long term picture is shrinking.. The rural industries are going and everyone is congregating more and more into the large cities, what is going to happen when the cities burst at the seams and no one in the bush.

KP

• Winner 1

The rural industries are going and everyone is congregating more and more into the large cities, what is going to happen when the cities burst at the seams and no one in the bush.

KP

Remember the science fiction movie from the 70's???? Soylent Green.

It was set in the future (2022) Maybe not have been science fiction after all !!!!

With power shortages looming..... All the major cities are building multi storey units with

no drying facilities, 24/7 Air cond and instantaneous hot water systems.

What can possibly go wrong there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hello Ron 5335,

What will go wrong????????????????????????????? Who will fed the drongos????????????????????.

We could drop the pollies off list for aid to be fed. When they discover they are delisted to be fed we may get action.

KP

• Like 1

Things are going to get better Keith.

The Commonwealth Govt only introduced personal income tax in 1915, and I remember my Grandfather telling me that at the time,

the Govt stated it was only a temporary measure until the costs of WW1 were met. (True story)

So when the Commonwealth Govt lift the tax, things will improve. !!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Things are going to get better Keith.The Commonwealth Govt only introduced personal income tax in 1915, and I remember my Grandfather telling me that at the time,

the Govt stated it was only a temporary measure until the costs of WW1 were met. (True story)

So when the Commonwealth Govt lift the tax, things will improve. !!!!!!

And you died on the tools without any hope of susso, health care or a pension.

Thought this thread was supposed to be about Sport Pilot. Broad discussion of NBN failings, infrastucture, profit motive and even income tax seem to be rather off topic surely?

The efficacy of the NBN impacts on delivery of "Sport Pilot". Is it a crock on its own or does OPTUS have shared responsibility for poor download speeds of the electronic version of "Sport Pilot"?

• Like 1

Thought this thread was supposed to be about Sport Pilot. Broad discussion of NBN failings, infrastucture, profit motive and even income tax seem to be rather off topic surely?

It's front line entertainment in itself; arguing via the internet that you can't read the magazine because the internet doesn't work!

• Haha 1
  • Winner 2

OK these are my thoughts on the Sports Pilot magazine. I have been flying since 1988. Back then we got a photocopied 1 page newsletter. When the sports pilot magazine came out I was an avid reader, but as time went by I became quite bored with the content, there are only so many cute articles one can read about someones experience of learning to fly or reports of trips. Whilst this material can be interesting there is no shortage of this type of content on the net. It is just my own personal cross country flight experience. I do respect other points of view but I do not believe that providing reading material should be a core aim of RAAUS,

I know that many people believe that RAAUS is somehow incompetent because it does not seem to be able to make the magazine a financial success. Perhaps someone else could start a magazine and run it at a profit, that would be cool but I do not think it is within the scope of RAAUS to be regulator, lobbyist for RA pilots AND a producer of a magazine.

If anyone thinks RAAUS is incompetent in this perhaps they should produce their own (profit making) magazine

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

The issue of Sport Pilot management is about minimising losses whilst still maintaining the audience. the RAA is failing on both tests, losses are continuing and less than a 1/3 of members read it

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

From the RAA news Issue 34 email that I received late yesterday I saw that RAA is offering a discounted one year Sport Pilot magazine subscription - for today only. It's a one day offer - today only. I wonder who thought that up. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of the retail industry would know that if you want to create an urgency sale by limiting the period of the sale, then you need to advertise it well in advance, weeks in advance normally - not make first mention of it late the previous day.

Unless they really don't have a clue about marketing and sales I'd have to assume the board and management don't really want people to actually take this offer up, perhaps they just want to be able to say they made a special offer and no-one showed any interest. If they really wanted people to subscribe why would they limit the offer to one day? Why not make the offer available during the months of June and July while people are renewing their membership fees?

• Agree 6