Which Exam?

Just looking at studying for my bak/ ppl exam while not flying at the moment and wondering which one to do?

I am intending to get the ppl but if i sit the casa ppl exam does will this also cover the rpl exam and ra-aus bak exam or will i have to also do these if i end up not doing ppl and only doing rpl or ra-aus?

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

There is a lot of variables in the questions that you have raised, so it may be best to start off with what you want to achieve before you go to far down any one path here.

Some of the things to consider is, how much time can you put in to study, are you ok at self study or do you need a classroom environment to assist you, do you want to carry more than one passenger and fly into controlled airports? How far can your budget stretch and is aviation going to be a pastime or are you aiming for a commercial career.

Write down a few answers to some of these and you may then work out which is best for you.

Hope all goes well,

Cheers

Thanks Kununurra

I havent absolutely decided on the end game for which licence i may get either ra-aus and later get rpl/ppl or staright to ppl but have time to self study for exams at the moment so was hoping i could cross off the exam components.

Hence if i do the highest requirement exam ppl will this mean i don't have to do the rpl or ra-aus bak exams if i end up only doing these licences?

FAA only just recently dropped questions on LORAN when changing from PTS to ACS. Yes VOR and ADF questions are still relevant to the CASA PPL Theory exam.

Not my choice. I would like to see questions on GNSS, RAIM predictions and CAR233(1)(H) but I don't set the syllabus and the PPL exam STILL requires competency using non electronic navigation methods

• Agree 1

just read this in the casa website,

A pass in BAK, either BAK(A) or BAK(H), is no longer a pre-requisite for a candidate to sit their PPL or CPL theory exams. However, a pass in BAK of the relevant category, must be obtained prior to either a PPL or CPL flight test.

Introduction to new pilot licensing regulations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

So does this mean even if i do ground school prior to flight training and pass my ppl exam i need to subsequently sit the bak exam before i can have my ppl flight test?

Is the rpl exam equivalant to the bak exam or is this different and you still have to sit the flight schools bak exam even if i do the rpl exam?

confused again......

Got a quick response phone call from casa which cleared it all up they were great:

To gain your RPL(A) licence, you need to pass either a BAK(A) exams (which is conducted by your flying school) OR the CASA exam called RPLA.

To gain your PPL(A) licence, you need to pass:

· either a BAK(A) exams (which is conducted by your flying school) OR the CASA exam called RPLA; and

· CASA’s PPLA theory exam.

So for all licences, the ra-aus certificate (they will accept the RPL exam as BAK), RPL or PPL you need to do the RPL or internal BAK exam, so now i can study for the RPL exam knowing it will be needed for whichever licence i end up going for and not wasted if i change my mind, then i will need to do an extra exam for navs in whichever licence i go for.

not confused any more.

• Like 1