RAAus Late Membership Fee

Stearman

I agree with jet in that I personally hate late payers. Years ago, this mate of mine had Telstra ready to cut off his phone. He owed them $500 BUT they owed him $10,000 outstanding for 3 months, for some contract work he had done for them.

When he got the $500 bill he told them he would pay when they settled their account with him. This was ignored.

My wife got on the phone on his behalf and after about 2 hours found a sensible Telstra person who agreed to fix the problem without cutting his phone off.

From 1 March, membership renewals that have been overdue for more than 30 days will be subject to a reactivation fee of $22.As we're a MEMBER based ASSOCIATION this must have come from and been requested by the membership......or not.....lol.

You voted to end that, remember?

• Winner 1

Oh and apparently they turn off your access to members portal the day after fee is due ... even though you are still a member for the next 30 days. They appear to have not updated the member portal for the changes in the constitution from last year.

Could I be correct in saying:-

KP "Dictatorship" not "Membership"?

• Winner 2

One of my theories about the decline in the RAA is that their are a LOT of members who aren't flying and are only keeping their membership active to maintain the pilot certificate. Of course they are going to pay late, they aren't flying but the certificate gives them hope. If you start messing with them they will eventually leave. The RAA benefits immensely from having a large pool of inactive pilots who happily pay $215 a year and get nothing in return.

• Agree 4

Sorry, I have not read this whole thread, I have more important things to do, like going flying.

This may have already been said and I don't like the direction RAAus is being taken away from it members driving the outcomes.

How dump can some people be, just give the members a discount who pay on time, we would not even be having this conversation.

It's then our choice to pay late if we need to for some reason and not being made to feel bad because of a late payment. In business it better to have a late payment than no payment.

Jim, you are missing the point, the RAA's $250K software package that's less than 2 years old can't process a late payment of membership fees. at a guess I would say the software vendor wants mega$$$ to fix that.

Hang on a second, are you saying that the CEO who manages RAAus, purchased a software program that can't handle late payments from members?

• Like 1

Well I got some flying in this afternoon as well.

I've heard some people are thinking about another organisation to manage Sports Aviation.

It seems our Government can't legislate to give one organisation a legislative monopoly over giving a service, unless it a Government run department like CASA.

The Government removed the Australian Wheat Board on this premise a few years ago from having an legislative monopoly. At the time the Wheat Board was the only organisation that could sell Australian grown wheat, wheat sold here in Australian and Overseas, (they called it Single Desk). The Wheat Board control all wheat sale prices for Australian wheat, set costs for freight and storage, also set their own sales commission to charge the farmers.

The Australian Wheat Board also controlled the quality standard for the wheat and from this, how much a farmer's wheat was worth and what they got paid for it.

Anyway, it could be said that the Australia Government, if pushed, could no longer give an organisation like RAAus the legislative monopoly over the administration of Sports Aviation in Australia should another organisation come about wishing to do the same.

It's an interesting thought and may answer the question I have been thinking, why would CASA offered Rec medical and Rec Pilots Licence, when its been CASA form for many recent years to run a mile from any further regulative obligations, especially when RAAus is already doing the job.

I am thinking CASA would not do this type of thing for any small reason.

• Like 1