Jabiru Cockpit Sound / Voice Recording

Hi guys. I am wondering what strategies do you folks follow for audio video recording in a Jabiru cockpt. I am thinking of putting an action camera to record the flight but it does not have an excellent audio recording facility. Hence I was planning to record the cockpit sound / voice separately through the headset and dub the video later on with the voice recording.

Please could you let me know if you have any other better ideas that are cheap to implement, or how to go about doing voice recording using the headset attachments and what kind of adapters I may need. It is a Jabiru LSA that I am intending to fly and record.

Hi guys. I am wondering what strategies do you folks follow for audio video recording in a Jabiru cockpt. I am thinking of putting an action camera to record the flight but it does not have an excellent audio recording facility. Hence I was planning to record the cockpit sound / voice separately through the headset and dub the video later on with the voice recording.Please could you let me know if you have any other better ideas that are cheap to implement, or how to go about doing voice recording using the headset attachments and what kind of adapters I may need. It is a Jabiru LSA that I am intending to fly and record.

PM sent

I have tried videoing my flights with a GoPro Hero 3 and all I get is two lots of 11min 39 sec videos, then the camera turns itself off. Has anybody else had this problem? (sorry for intruding on your thread, Anjum!)

Bruce

What I did was buy a GoPro Camera, a GoPro Combo Cable so I can charge the GoPro with USB and get audio to it.

You just need a cable to plug into your intercom, I bought one that plugs into the end of the headset and into the aircraft. The other plug into the GoPro combo. Just can't find the cable online at the moment. No dubbing needed, sounds pretty clear as well. You pick up all the radio traffic which is handy as well.

One more thing, I had to change the housing so it wasn't the waterproof one so I could plug cables in the side.

• Informative 2

I have decided to use a $25 dictaphone and tuck the mic into the headset earpiece if it fits, or alternately attach it to the radio using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and a 6.35mm splitter. Eventually I will dub it onto the video. I have a Qpix action camera, so no external mic facility.

Hi Bruce, Just go into settings / menu and see that you have not set it to Auto Power-Off or Limit Video Recording duration. My Qpix has such a setting so quite possible that GoPro also has a similar setting. If yes, then disable Auto Power-Off or Video Recording duration. Hope this helps Cheers :)

• Agree 1

Hi Romeo Juliet Whiskey, I had been watching your youtube videos over the last week and think they are really wonderful and very educational. They are in high quality HD with an excellent sound system. I love watching them in my free time and intend to watch the full series. I was pleasantly surprised and feel privileged having received your response. I just want a cheap set up, hence was looking into using my existing action camera from China along with a Chinese audio recorder, which is similar to the Sony one you have but very basic and generic. I was hoping to catch the cabin sound via the existing headset mic into which we speak, which feeds into the radio anyways. If I do not get the cabin sounds using the radio attachment as expected, then alternately I might just add a 3.5mm splitter to the mic input on the audio device and feed 1 socket of the splitter into the radio and the other socket into the stand alone mic, and see if I can capture both (radio + cabin) sounds onto the audio recorder simultaneously if required. It might save me from having 2 different audio files to synchronize, if this arrangement works! Besides, my action camera has no input for an external microphone.

I have not flown for 9 months as I was too busy with work, but will be flying soon once my RAA membership is reactivated. I usually fly out from The Oaks, using the school aircraft from John. It is Dave's flying school, and they have a sister school at Wollongong. Cheers :)

• Like 1

I have tried videoing my flights with a GoPro Hero 3 and all I get is two lots of 11min 39 sec videos, then the camera turns itself off. Has anybody else had this problem? (sorry for intruding on your thread, Anjum!)Bruce

G'day Bruce,

I had the same thing happen when I borrowed my daughters GoPro and there is a setting to put it into a continuous loop mode where it will then make 15 minute clips, sorry I can't remember the settings but it is there.

I have since bought a Chinese rip off for eighty bucks that does a pretty good job, it did the same thing until I fugured it out. As for the sound I use my old iPhone with a recording app on it and an old set of the small ear phones from the phone with the actual ear plugs cut off just leaving the microphone which I just sit into my headset and dub the audio into the video later. Works quite well.

Hi Romeo Juliet Whiskey, I had been watching your youtube videos over the last week and think they are really wonderful and very educational. They are in high quality HD with an excellent sound system. I love watching them in my free time and intend to watch the full series. I was pleasantly surprised and feel privileged having received your response. I just want a cheap set up, hence was looking into using my existing action camera from China along with a Chinese audio recorder, which is similar to the Sony one you have but very basic and generic. I was hoping to catch the cabin sound via the existing headset mic into which we speak, which feeds into the radio anyways. If I do not get the cabin sounds using the radio attachment as expected, then alternately I might just add a 3.5mm splitter to the mic input on the audio device and feed 1 socket of the splitter into the radio and the other socket into the stand alone mic, and see if I can capture both (radio + cabin) sounds onto the audio recorder simultaneously if required. It might save me from having 2 different audio files to synchronize, if this arrangement works! Besides, my action camera has no input for an external microphone.I have not flown for 9 months as I was too busy with work, but will be flying soon once my RAA membership is reactivated. I usually fly out from The Oaks, using the school aircraft from John. It is Dave's flying school, and they have a sister school at Wollongong. Cheers :)

Glad you like the videos mate. If your flying down to Wollongong then let me know. Might be able to meet up for a chat. As you probably know I fly at Dave's sister school with Bruce.