Introducing my baby

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet

That is a sweet looking plane. One question: How come you got so many more compliments than I did? keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

So, to see if this evens it up, I'll put my pics into your thread and see what happens.

[ATTACH]4407.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4408.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4409.vB[/ATTACH]

Still no spats, they would only get in the way when loading it on the truck to take to the nearest large airport.

No RMW decals yet, but I have got them. Just imagine them on the front.

See you soon.'be'

Oh, and since you are not allowed to say it. They are both da*n sexy planes.:;)7::;)7::;)7::;)7:

IMGP1446.JPG.1c17e61fc7d00b0d29f658cd2af42cf9.JPG

IMGP1447.JPG.96244acddd14831312e2429fb4a7869d.JPG

IMGP1450.JPG.ef972c72fd844104a99e65be72abbdcd.JPG

I reckon you've done a great job BW. I had the great advantage of being able to ask Garry or Tim if I didn't know how to do something. I know you could call him anytime (and did) for help, but there's nothing like being able to walk over to one that's already completed and see how it is supposed to look, or asking the guy who designed it to show you. Not to mention have every tool and labour-saving device imaginable.

Also, I spent a hell of a lot more than you. You've been working on a shoestring and have produced a great plane for your buck. I have the advantage of being at the other end of my career and get paid a motza for what I love to do. So I didn't hold back.

Which leads to Rob's and Decca's question. Heaps of time and heaps of money. I didn't measure the time (I'm not that organized), and a gentleman never tells.

Both BW's and mine took 5 months, so that's a good indication. It's quite a quick build kit. Look at Geoff and Ross' Jab build threads for a comparison.

You can get the kit and an engine and instruments for $40000. How much extra you spend is up to you.

Thanks again for the comments all. I hope you all get to meet the Kool Kitty soon.

Ross

Thank you Chird65, and posters of similar comments.

As to time and money.

Time; a bit over 1000 hours. But remember, thats for a first time builder with no previous experience, and no-one to ask for help except via the phone.

If I had to do it again, easily less than half that, and a better job to boot. Not that I am criticising my lovely creation, but things could be neater here end there.

Money: Estimate roughly $50 000 inc GST on most things. I really don't think it could be done for much less except with a cheaper motor, and then it is not certified and goodbye controlled airspace.

It cost me about 25k for the kit with a few extras (disc brakes, an engine mount etc.)

15k for the motor.

And the rest in other things which add up quickly.

Prop $750

Spinner $125

Radio ~$2000

headsets ~$300

Paint ~$350

Instruments >$1000

Extra sheet of Aluminium $200

Motor hoses and fittings ~$300

Electrical including battery ~$250

(battery is SLA 17AAH from Jaycar $44, turns the jab over easily)

And more...............

But that should give you a rough idea.

and about $200 for special tools: e.g. Clecos, a heat gun, a 5/16 reamer

Start saving,,,,, see you in the air soon

Guest Fred Bear

Yeah mate that's one thing I forgot to mention. You have a plane. I don't. I probably will not for a while so a big ;) to you for just that fact. I'm always jealous of anyone that owns their own machine and I'll admit that (not a bad type of jealous though) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

You da man Bigglesworth..018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif;)Are you running the 4 cyl or 6 cyl jab motor?

Are you still green??:)

Regards

Phil

4 cylinder, which, by my calculations, should have 2/3 the problems of the 6.:confused:

As for the green paint; there is still some on my fingernails, and I have had to have a haircut.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Cruising speed, it will be interesting to see who gets better. They both should be about 110kts, Slarti has winglets to stop induced drag, but has a higher cabin and a steeper front on his canopy. He has a professional quality build which might make it smoother, so it will be interesting.

The winglets on Slarti's are an expensive extra, and were not available when I got my kit. I could always fit them later with a bit of difficulty; maybe when I fit strobes and nav lights.

Garry was just talking to me on the phone trying to scare me out of test flying my own plane with very little experience, but I still want to try. If there are any mechanically minded pilots in the Moruya area reading this, I would appreciate it if you would turn up at the airport on Friday evening for the prep. or Saturday early for attempt number one.

I'm hopeing Rex the maintenance bloke from Merimbula might turn up, that would be good.

In Gods hands.

PS Sorry Blueshed, but the 16th happens to be my 21st, so I will probably be in no state to fly.

Bigglesworth, I admire your work and your enthusiasm. The world needs more younger people like you with the tenacity and the ambition to get off their b-hind and try things more exciting and enduring than the next computer game.

The last thing I want to do is rain on your parade - BUT, please exercise appropriate caution and commonsense as you take to the air in your aircraft. Surely slowing down a little at this point will ensure many years of great trip reports and maybe new projects attempted. I'd hate to see you damage your excellent machine (or heaven forbid, yourself or someone else) through inexperience and maybe a little foolishness at this early stage. I'm very new to this whole business of flying, but if someone like Garry Morgan, who designed the aircraft, is encouraging you to have someone help you out, maybe he's worth listening to.

Yes, your/our actions are in God's hands, but he's given us good minds to use, so let's not be too cavalier.

With kind regards and humility, Mathew

You are right Matthew,

Everyone is telling me to slow down, including God in the form of the weather, and in RAA not sending me the rego work back.

So...............

postponement for a week.

Then again, the paddock strip will be made on the weekend, and a few taxi tests might still happen. But no flights.

It is actually within my assigned test area, as I asked to be able to fly it home.

I might even get up to Taree next weekend.

So the plan is:

Get the flightsim working on my computer again, and get to a stage where I can fly the Extra 300 with the controls out of trim and bad weather.

Then turn off the PC, do some taxi tests at home, and see how I feel.

Depending on that, I might get to Taree.

Does that sound safer?

You are right Matthew,Everyone is telling me to slow down, including God in the form of the weather, and in RAA not sending me the rego work back.

So...............

postponement for a week.

Then again, the paddock strip will be made on the weekend, and a few taxi tests might still happen. But no flights.

Does that sound safer?

Much safer Bigglesworth.

I also dont want to rain on your parade, however, the are old pilots and there are bold pilots but not too many old bold pilots....:yuk:

Get somebody with good experience to do the first flight or two for you as the others suggest .....;)

We dont need to bury anybody else just yet...and God might just be a tad p$^*ed off with you if you turn up at the pearly gates too early...:;)1: especially as he has, in his wisdom, provided you a forum full of people with knowledge, experience and your best interests at heart. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

regards

Phil

p.s. I wont make anymore Kermit jokes ....

Bigglesworth, sounds like a much better plan. I'm green with envy because as others have pointed out - you have a plane, whereas I'm stuck with a dream. I'm also looking forward to reports as to how 'Cowboy Up' flys, particularly around the Moruya area. A lifetime ago I lived on a small farm on the north bank of the Moruya river. It's where I learnt to drive in the early 70's in a '68 Corona. Many fond memories.

Fly safe.

Mathew

Yes, except for us all hijacking Slarti's thread ;)

Yes, I noticed that, I wonder how he feels. I honestly didn't mean to.

But I think he has more important things to think of, not letting the cat too far out of the bag, but he has news for us.

Bigglesworth.

Your plane looks great, but I think the different colour horizontal lines tend to make it look a bit more dumpy than slarty's machine. I know they must be the same size, so I put it down to an optical illusion. Others may disagree with me, in which case they will hopefully speak out.

be carefull

Bigglesworth..mate, im only new to this forum and i have to say im a bit perturbed at your ghusto with regards to flight testing your own aeroplane. Do you have much experiance flight testing other aircraft? Do you have experiance recovering unusal flight charictaristics such as ossilation and flutter?Your plane looks though it will have quite high enertia and low drag, therefor will be very slippery. Don't get me wrong, i admire your courage, but ive buried an exellent friend and even more exellent pilot because of bad judgment..please be carefull dude..

beware the expectation

Bigglesworth - You are getting yourself into a silly situation.

By getting everyone there around you spending a few hours getting the plane ready you'll be in a situation where you know there are one or two wrinkles not quite ironed out, something that really needs checking for the last time, there will be talking and joking around, and urging on, a self built up obligation to carry it through. This is just the wrong situation to be in.

On the day, when everyone is there, don't to do any more than an engine test for a time exceeding the first circuit, and a few engine runs up and down the strip. From the start, promise the helpers, bystanders, and spectators no more.

Jack.exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gifexclamation.gif.15cca54a67cbd47ca3b5897bbc7b8e75.gif

Sounds like damn good advice to me. ;)

Listen to your inner self/voice. If you're not comfortable or have any doubts, then walk away and live to fly another day.

Sorry to rain on your parade bigglesworth but we've got used to having you around. :)

regards

There are rules / guidelines in place through RA-Aus for the test flying of aircraft, including minimum hours in your logbook, plus relevant experience. Make sure you follow them! If you can't find them, give the office a call to make sure that you meet the minimums otherwise there may be no insurance.