Poll for RAA weight increase and CTA

Who wants a weight increase to RAA  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants a weight increase to RAA

• Weight increase to 750kg max 2 pob
    • yes
    • Weight increase to 1500kg max 2 POB
    • Want CTA available remember training and aviation instrument quality costs
    • Max stall speed 45 knots
    • Higher than 45 knot stall speed

I still think in an ideal world all rec flying under 6ish seaters could be run with much reduced rules to commercial for the huge benefit of private aviation. I do think it is a bit of a shame that I can't take my kiddies and wife for a 'recreational' flight.

Having said that I don't believe that should be all up to RAA, in an ideal world the regulator would have it sorted.

Anyway I selected the 1500 mainly because I think extra numbers in RAA would be a good thing, the 750kg limit would be enough of a help to me to get me to 700 with my hornet but i don't want to be selfish in my thinking, also I would also like the CTA option.

• Like 1

You should redo this poll as you are asking 3 unique questions but only allowing 1 answer.

The unique questions are

1. Increase MTOW

Choice a.to 750kg

Choice b. to 1500kg

Choice c. no change

Choice D. dont care

2. Permit CTA (one doesn't need Xponder in D)

Choice a. Yes

Choice b. No

Choice c. don't care

3. Increase stall speed

Choice a. Yes

Choice b. No

Choice c. Don't care

Remember - none of these choices impact on what you currently do. RAA/CASA cannot force you to increase the weight, fly into CTA or increase your stall speed. If you don't want to do these things then you should really answer "don't care" to each question.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

You should redo this poll as you are asking 3 unique questions but only allowing 1 answer.The unique questions are

1. Increase MTOW

Choice a.to 750kg

Choice b. to 1500kg

Choice c. no change

Choice D. dont care

2. Permit CTA (one doesn't need Xponder in D)

Choice a. Yes

Choice b. No

Choice c. don't care

3. Increase stall speed

Choice a. Yes

Choice b. No

Choice c. Don't care

Remember - none of these choices impact on what you currently do. RAA/CASA cannot force you to increase the weight, fly into CTA or increase your stall speed. If you don't want to do these things then you should really answer "don't care" to each question.

A new try but we see through your trick to control the out come

• Caution 1

I was actually going to start a thread to suggest how to word a suitable poll. Obviously polls that allow only one option need to be worded to cover every possible option. Difficult to do but not impossible.

I was actually going to start a thread to suggest how to word a suitable poll. Obviously polls that allow only one option need to be worded to cover every possible option. Difficult to do but not impossible.

36 ways to answer the multivariable question with a single answer therefore you need 36 choices including "none of the above"

36 ways to answer the multivariable question with a single answer therefore you need 36 choices including "none of the above"

That is assuming that you feel all the variables are covered.

I agree that this is a an unfair pole and unlikley to result in a genuine unbiased documentation of members opinions. - only being able to vote for one topic out of three diverse options is just rubbish.

Take myself access to CTA would be my No.1 priority - I fly out of the Sydney Basin, which means, due to CTA North & East, I am pretty well forced, if I stay within RAA regulations, to fly over very extensive & dangerous Tiger Country, if I want to go anywhere other than South. The ability to access CTA would allow a significant increase in my flight safety margins to say nothing of more direct routes & lower costs . For someone based in a country area this the inability to access CTA is at worst an infrequent minor inconvenience barely worth discussing.

The higher stall speeds and increased TOW are, in my case, academic - I fly a European aircraft that is limited by the manufactures to 540 kg ,(although their latest offering is certified in Au to 600 kg). So the increase in RAA TOW is unlikely to benefit those who have aircraft that will remain at lower weights. A higher TOW may benefit RAA itself, as it makes more aircraft, from the GA world, eligible to be registered under RAA - so more members more $$$$.

I have a GA licence so I don't need anything, so it's simple get a RPL or a PPL , but I would like to max 700 kilos in my J230 every now and then.

• Agree 1

I have a GA licence so I don't need anything, so it's simple get a RPL or a PPL , but I would like to max 700 kilos in my J230 every now and then.

I stand to be corrected BUT I think you will find that to exercise your PPL privileges you must be in a factory built (24 registered) aircraft. To complicate things further Jabirus recently had special restrictions applied some (all?) of which have been lifted, which would effectively prevent a Jab from legitimately entering CTA.

I stand to be corrected BUT I think you will find that to exercise your PPL privileges you must be in a factory built (24 registered) aircraft. To complicate things further Jabirus recently had special restrictions applied some (all?) of which have been lifted, which would effectively prevent a Jab from legitimately entering CTA.

It is factory built, restrictions were lifted on aircraft maintained in accordance with Jabiru service instructions and not modified, the others have restrictions.

There were never any restrictions about flying in CTA in a Jabiru. There were restrictions about flying over built up areas but that was only limiting where you might be over wall to wall houses etc. I flew in and out of Cairns controlled airspace and into Cairns international airport all through the restriction period. Most of the CTA is over open space, bush or ocean and is often not even an issue to think about entry and exit over non-populated ares.

You cannot excercise any ppl privileges in an RAAUs registered aircraft ( factory made or otherwise). You must have an RAAus pilot certificate as well.

• Agree 2

Convert it to VH registration. You then get immediate upgrade to 700 kg. It has been murmured that if you approach Jabiru they will up grade to 760 kg - if you buy one in South Africa it comes out of the box with 760 kg limit. But I must admit I have never bothered asking them.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Convert it to VH registration. You then get immediate upgrade to 700 kg. It has been murmured that if you approach Jabiru they will up grade to 760 kg - if you buy one in South Africa it comes out of the box with 760 kg limit. But I must admit I have never bothered asking them.

I owned a C172 for many years and loved it but the LAMEs that I dealt with was not always in fact very seldom a good experience, I'm a motor mechanic by trade and I only got joy when I did the work and checked everything myself. So the beauty of my J230 registered RAA does everything I want it to and very economically. The last LAME I used was so rough, unfinished and unairworthy after he completed annual, it was a joke, but worse than that CASA did not care and was not interested at all !

I will never have or fly a plane that I can not maintain !

I must admit I did meet a couple of very good LAMEs.

• Like 2

You cannot excercise any ppl privileges in an RAAUs registered aircraft ( factory made or otherwise). You must have an RAAus pilot certificate as well.

As I understand the RAA "rules"

• You can not currently fly an RAA registered aircraft with an RAA Pilot Certificate.

• RAA Certified pilots may not enter CTA.

• You can legally fly a RAA registered aircraft into CTA IF you have an RAA Pilot Certificate AND a current PPL or higher

Putting it another way - no matter what your pilot training or level of licencing, you can not legally fly an RAA registered air craft without an RAA Pilot Certificate. Duel authority pilot licencing/certification is perfectly permissible and does confer additional privileges (into CTA)

This start getting very contentious. That is correct as per the position of the RA AUS board. However, when you look at the privileges of a PPL (A), it allows you to fly any aircraft in the airplane category provided you hold the appropriate design feature endorsements and meet the general competency rule. On a PPL, you can fly an American registered aircraft, and the aircraft of another countries register while in Australian airspace. Frankly if you can fly an aircraft from a totally different country register, then it's not too much of a stretch to suggest you can fly an RA aircraft which is ultimately operating under a casa exemption anyway.

Having said that, I have no intention of being the one to test this theory as I can't afford lawyers that good, and you would be operating without insurance doing it as well.

This start getting very contentious. That is correct as per the position of the RA AUS board. However, when you look at the privileges of a PPL (A), it allows you to fly any aircraft in the airplane category provided you hold the appropriate design feature endorsements and meet the general competency rule. On a PPL, you can fly an American registered aircraft, and the aircraft of another countries register while in Australian airspace. Frankly if you can fly an aircraft from a totally different country register, then it's not too much of a stretch to suggest you can fly an RA aircraft which is ultimately operating under a casa exemption anyway.Having said that, I have no intention of being the one to test this theory as I can't afford lawyers that good, and you would be operating without insurance doing it as well.

I was always in belief that with a Australian PPL you could fly an Australian registered plane anywhere in the world but not a foreign rego without conversion, so to fly a USA rego plane you need USA licence !

Not quite. You can also fly a foreign registered aircraft in Australian airspace. If you then wanted to fly the foreign registered aircraft overseas you would need the appropriate countries licence

As I understand the RAA "rules"

• You can not currently fly an RAA registered aircraft with an RAA Pilot Certificate.

• RAA Certified pilots may not enter CTA.

• You can legally fly a RAA registered aircraft into CTA IF you have an RAA Pilot Certificate AND a current PPL or higher

Putting it another way - no matter what your pilot training or level of licencing, you can not legally fly an RAA registered air craft without an RAA Pilot Certificate. Duel authority pilot licencing/certification is perfectly permissible and does confer additional privileges (into CTA)

I am sorry to intrude but I believe differently to your first point skippy. I certainly don't mean to be antagonising but I believe that you CAN fly an RAA aircraft with a rec flying certificate.

At least I hope that is true as that is what I do.

I am sorry to intrude but I believe differently to your first point skippy. I certainly don't mean to be antagonising but I believe that you CAN fly an RAA aircraft with a rec flying certificate.At least I hope that is true as that is what I do.

No problem ; You are absolutely correct

Due to rather sloppy formatting , on my part, what I was actually trying to say got somewhat turned around. Not sure if its may failure to adequately check in the draft mode, or if something actually changed when I posted the comment.

• Like 1