When not to fly

Admin

I felt down one day, and I went for a fly along the river at Longreach, followed the tourist boat, turned to watch the sun setting (I had NVFR) and the twilight settling into the fairy lights on the ground, the stars coming out one by one, and thought how wonderful it was to be alive. God was in his Universe, problems at work, the loss of a friend, too much to do; all melted away as I took a deep breath.

Yes FV, that's just having a bad hair day (just feeling down, a bit depressed at the time) and even those that suffer depression get those days but I think, as I do, know the difference.

The advice: don't fly if you have taken medication

Yes Tony but I personally think the difference is management and a sufferer knowing about their condition and medication. Take diabetes for example, this is an old argument and strongly fought for over the years.

I know myself that before I would ever turn the key I do a walk around on myself paying as much attention as doing a walk around on the aircraft, I think that is something we should do EVEN if we have no known issues...let's all write that into our pre flight checklist

"If you answered YES to any of the above check list, go and ask another pilot if they would come for a fly with you, oh, and don't ever be scared to tell them why"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ian,

firstly, thank you for raising what is certainly a very difficult topic to discuss, simply (? no not really) because there are just so many aspects to depression to go over and it effects so many people in so many different ways. I just want to go back to P.McC's first comment, I don't think he was actually advocating that, going flying will cure what ails you, he was simply sharing what he did and how it helped him and I have to admit, I to, tend to feel on a bit of a high for a few days after having committed aviation. I will also admit that I too have suffered from different levels of depression for a number of years and so, as suggested in his comment, I do complete a self check which includes, for me, a "sanity" check before the trike is even towed to the field, I know there are many who would consider me insane to fly a trike but hey, its how I love to get off the ground and what I can afford. I am not surprised that he felt his comments were not respected, I also understand that both his and your experiences are totally different and I get that it was not a personal attack but I was really surprised by your reaction to his comment.

Red 750

What an amazing post, of all the posts yours really moved me to tears, our son has been on a similar journey, depressed and overweight but now turning it all around, thank you, please pass onto your son my admiration for his achievements in all aspects of his life, he is truly to be commended, I really hope that he realises that he is a real hero and inspiration to all he meets and that by you sharing his journey here, he will inspire others to reach out for help, I feel proud of him just by hearing his story being told.

To anyone who is suffering in silence, please reach out for help, no one has ever died of embarrassment, but that mongrel black dog has taken far too many people from far too many families already, please don't be the next, remember, you are loved and you will be missed, there are better ways of dealing with the crap than suicide, IT NEEDS TO STOP!

Ross

From experience, never downplay any thoughts of self harm when speaking with the medical profession. Its about the only thing that will get their attention (and action). Unfortunately, I am not one to 'blow my own trumpet' and that extends to understating most things.

Ian,To anyone who is suffering in silence, please reach out for help...

Don't be surprised if your closest colleagues turn away...and total strangers come to your aid.

No better way to find out who your real friends are.

Asking for help can change your life.

• Like 1