2 Stroke Oil for Rotax What one?

newairly

You can blame Bob Carr for this NSW ethanol mess. he gave his mate approval to make the stuff and then regulated the fuel suppliers to buy it and add it o their fuel.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gents, been flying my trike with a 582cc fitted for 7 years and only used Castrol Active 2T oil (formerly called Super TT). I was told by my instructor not to use anything else.:thumb_up:

IIRC some of the YCAB trikers contacted Bert Floods when "green slime" was discontinued & were recommended to use Activ 2T. Not sure specifically for which engines though.

For long term protection - try to run the engine regularly (even if the weather prevents you flying) ;) Whichever brand you use, I would also suggest trying to stick to the same one as far as possible.

Cheers

John

Hi again Gents,

The 582cc (fitted to my trike) has just ticked over 400 hrs now, I've had it since new for 7 years. Bearing clearances still 0.02mm (both cylinders) both carbys pulled down and checked, cylinder walls and piston heads checked with borescope - everything is as clean as a whistle. motor still runs like a swiss clock (knock on wood) since day one and all of this resulted from only using Active 2T oil and premium unleaded fuel ONLY - all for 7 years.

My suggestion from this experience to anyone is NOT TO USE ANYTHING ELSE as my instructor put it.

regards

Dennis:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Yes I had a similiar experience with my 582 however I used only reg unleaded, not premium but occasionally a 50/50 avgas-reg ul mix which it also liked. Had 650 hours when I sold it, still running beautifully. New owner has since replaced the ign stator (wouldn't run on one ign) , and the coolant radiators are starting to leak slightly. Still running the original water pump seals !. Destined to be one of the classic engines I reckon. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 year later...
You can blame Bob Carr for this NSW ethanol mess. he gave his mate approval to make the stuff and then regulated the fuel suppliers to buy it and add it o their fuel.

It looks like ethanol will be compulsorily added to petrol in New South Wales from 2011. What will mogas powered ultralight owners do about this?

From today's Sydney Morning Herald:

There will be one less fuel to choose from next year, when NSW retailers are forced to phase out normal unleaded in favour of E10, even though some owners of older cars and European models will not be able to use the new fuel.

The chief executive of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, Andrew McKellar, said a proliferation of fuels on the market would make buying petrol more complicated.

He said there was a concern that people would fill up with the wrong fuel, and ''we need to … try to ensure risk is minimised''. He said the introduction of mandatory ethanol content in NSW has the potential to disadvantage some motorists. ''There are some legitimate concerns there for those people out there who do have those older cars."

To me, it seems as if there will be some legitimate concerns for NSW recreational aircraft owners. i_dunno

G'day all,

Political blame shifting can go both ways! Look at the connection between John Howard and a company called Manildra. This was a prime shifter in the decision to give a tax payer subsidy to the production of ethanol for auto fuel purposes. Havagooday, Don

Aeroshell Sport Plus 2 stroke

I see that Shell have released a new 2 stroke oil called Aeroshell Sport Plus 2. It is designed for ultralight aircraft engines.

I looked on the aeroshell website but it doesn't show up yet, but you will find some links if you do a search. And it is available in Australia. I won't mention any names here but you can find it.

Harthy

• 4 weeks later...

Well which one?

I dunno:loopy:

We've had Castrol, Shell, Penzoil, Penrite etc, etc. And good and bad comments about most of them. But still the question remains.... What do I use in my water cooled Rotax 582?

How about the so called "metal treatment" additives that claim vastly superior performance with a once only application? Has anybody (who will admit to it;)) used such additives in an aircraft engine?

Should I just go for the cheapest 2 stroke oil I can get at Super Cheap:confused:

Pud

Cheapest oil in a two stroke?

Pud, crook oils in a 2 stroke are a disaster. Some can lower the octane rating quite a bit. Others tend to build up carbon in the ring grooves. These are the two biggest problems.

Penzoil in USA have an oil that they have stated is OK specifically for aircraft two strokes. That should mean something. I personally am happy with Valvoline Racing two-stroke, and if Shell are prepared to list a two stroke oil for Aircraft I would give that a go also. There are a lot of very high performance Synthetics out there but the 582 is only 60 HP, so it is not highly stressed and I don't think you need these "super" oils, unless you have a race bike engine putting out about 180 HP in the same sized engine. I would not put any additives in a two stroke engine. Nev

Guest Baphomet

When I was flying behind a 582, I used Mobil Extra 2T. Its a synthetic, and the thing about it that impressed me a lot, is the ease with which it mixes with the fuel. Excellent product, and the engine is still running like a swiss watch after 700hrs.

When I was flying behind a 582, I used Mobil Extra 2T. Its a synthetic, and the thing about it that impressed me a lot, is the ease with which it mixes with the fuel. Excellent product, and the engine is still running like a swiss watch after 700hrs.

Thanks Baph,

Better add Mobil to the list eh?:big_grin:

Pud

Down to two types

Well after doing a bit of research tonight I reckon I'll try Castrol Active 2T (on the strength of Maj's recommendation along with ozzietriker), and/or the new Aeroshell Sport Plus 2 although info is a little sketchy still.

The Castrol Active 2T is available for $39.65 4 litres at Supercheap as well;)

Pud

G'day Pud,

In my opinion a good choice. That's what I use in the Thruster and I do think a lot about this topic. I got 20 litres from the local Castrol dealer for I think $131 making $6.55/l. Far better deal than Super...p!

My bit, Don

G'day Pud,In my opinion a good choice. That's what I use in the Thruster and I do think a lot about this topic. I got 20 litres from the local Castrol dealer for I think $131 making $6.55/l. Far better deal than Super...p!

My bit, Don

Well I might just have to shop around for a deal like yours Don:big_grin:

Cheers,

Pud

• 1 month later...

Well Methusala, I haven't found a deal like yours yet but my son showed up with 4l of Castrol Active 2T on Saturday for the big ,fat price of $0. He works as a spare parts manager at a car dealership where they use a lot of Castrol products. From time to time their supplier sends out a freeby - this time it was Castrol Active 2T and I was the recipient:)

Pud

Yes I had a similiar experience with my 582 however I used only reg unleaded, not premium but occasionally a 50/50 avgas-reg ul mix which it also liked. Had 650 hours when I sold it, still running beautifully. New owner has since replaced the ign stator (wouldn't run on one ign) , and the coolant radiators are starting to leak slightly. Still running the original water pump seals !. Destined to be one of the classic engines I reckon. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

So Maj and ozzietriker,

I'll be using Castrol Active 2T in my 582 powered Thruster, but I have a mate - Poll on the forums here, who will be flying behind a 503 Rotax in a Thruster Gemini, therefore aircooled, as opposed to the 582 watercooled. Would you still use Castrol Active 2T or suggest something else?

Pud

• 2 years later...

I have started using Aeroshell. The blurb says it is specifically designed for Rotax 2-strokes.

It seems to mix easier than the old 'green slime' as it is thinner.

I am getting it through our local Autopro store.

So far so good.

Rotax recommend oils that are "super" I guess implying top quality that meet ASTM/CEC and API TC The second one is an aircooled spec. Some wonder why Rotax apply an aircooled spec to a liquid cooled engine (The 582). in aircraft

It's to do with ring land temperature and the type of detergent dispersant used is temperature sensitive in a narrow band.

Intersestingly they only recommend full synthetic in a plane that is used most days as there is less corrosion protection afforded than with mineral based oils.

If an oil easily exceeds the API TC it should be fine. Shell and Pennzoil (US) have an oil they present as "suitable for aircraft use" . No-one else does that.. Nev