So what happened to Recreational Flying

Admin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Note about site passwords...

As mentioned before, here on Recreational Flying we use 1 way encryption of passwords which means that from your password, a series of processes are applied to the password that completely changes it which is what is stored in the database. It is one way in so far as if you got the database version of your password, there is no way to come back to your actual password without billions of different calculations.

So from a password, the database stores the say 8 character password like this:

10.jpg.6981414345b218c26ce71f6fab91d362.jpg

Even if a hacker got this they wouldn't be able to go backwards to find out what the password is.

As a quick and dirty example, here is code that I created some 20 years ago before password protection was as serious as it is today and even before 128 bit encryption was discovered.

Function UnlockCode()
'This function is to get the unlock code
 Dim n As Integer
 Dim countn As Integer
 Dim str As String
 Dim letter As String
 Dim lockn As String

n = 1
 str = "a" 'ctlName'
                                 '---------------------------------------------
 If str = "" Then Exit Function 'WARNING NO STRING ENTRY'
                                 '---------------------------------------------
 If Len(str)    
 countn = Len(str)
 lockn = 21659

Do Until n = countn + 1
     letter = Mid(str, n, 1)
     lockn = Val(lockn) * (CLng(Asc(letter)) * DatePart("m", Date))
     If Len(lockn) > 12 Then lockn = Right(Fix(lockn * 0.21659), 12)
     lockn = Val(lockn) * (CLng(Asc(letter)) * (DatePart("yyyy", Date) * 0.0001))
     If Len(lockn) > 12 Then lockn = Right(Fix(lockn * 0.12198), 12)
     n = n + 1
 Loop

End Function

This was my first attempt at 1 way encryption, as I said 20 years ago. It takes a string of characters, adds characters if it is less than 8 characters long, converts it to numbers, multiplies it by a specific date, drops off the end any numbers past 12 characters, does this again and again and again for the number of characters in input dropping off the numbers past 12 characters and loops. Basically as you can see, and the reason for this, is the numbers it drops off the end are gone for good, there is no coming back from that so coming back from the end result to work out the input (i.e. a password) is basically impossible, even if you had the above code.

The reason for posting this is to ensure all users that your passwords are protected through 1 way encryption

• Like 1

I have had a Recreational Flying shortcut on my windows 8 desktop which I have used routinely for ages but yesterday saw that the shortcut description had just changed from "Rec Flying" to "NZ Vector." I did not use it but deleted the shortcut and organised a new Rec Flying one which works as intended.

I have had a Recreational Flying shortcut on my windows 8 desktop which I have used routinely for ages but yesterday saw that the shortcut description had just changed from "Rec Flying" to "NZ Vector." I did not use it but deleted the shortcut and organised a new Rec Flying one which works as intended.

What do you mean by the description...The name under the icon or the url in the link which is also shown if you hover your mouse over the shortcut icon?

What do you mean by the description...The name under the icon or the url in the link which is also shown if you hover your mouse over the shortcut icon?

The name I put under the icon.

Cheers

John

Didn't have to login again so the credentials in the cookies are still valid after your refresh? How ever you've got that configured?

Make sure there isn't another admin account still logged in!

Just looked at Whats Up Australia (.com.au) and being a Nosey Pommie I tried to log in with my Log On details from here.

Absolutely no chance of me getting logged on, as I am guessing I am 1 of the 3 illegal immigrants from the UK I will just accept you don't want the poms in your Ranting Pages 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

ho hum, I will just wait for the UK Version ;-) bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Only those users that had posted in one of the threads that I migrated across to What Up Australia were automatically registered. This was to keep the posts with registered users without having thousands of users from here that may not use the new site. So if you had not posted in one of the migrated threads then just simply register as a new user on Whats Up Australia

Sad but true..........

We love flying

We love Aircraft

But there are large slices of our time where we cannot indulge in matters aviation, for some reason.

Then we vent our frustrations by stirring the crup out of each other

About those eternally valuable topics such as religion, sex and politics (and maybe our car/footy preferences)

My point is, sadly, we have more time for BS than aviation

Actually, Ian has been hiding the truth from us. He got a BOGOF deal from his ISP, so he decided to buzz the nutcases off onto a site he has to pay for, and is keeping the recreational flyers on the freeby which has the advertising. Increases his profits.059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

You will notice that there is no costs here, Classifieds are free, everything is free, and there is only one paid advert that is currently bringing in $50 a month...Note, JUST the hosting cost is $250 a month. There are other hosting costs, software costs, license costs and much more...oh, and my time 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Whats Up Australia is also free except that I have included a $10 a month fee for Classifieds that wish to be featured across the top of the Classifieds section (if I can get the darn fee thing working)

There's still one or two nutcases that haven't yet been lured to the New website..........

Now what can I say that they couldn't resist falling for?

I am madly working on the Sports Tipping Feature on Whats Up Australia where you can have weekly tipping on the outcomes of each round in the AFL, NRL and Soccer (???). May even have a price at the end of the season to the user that has got the most correct. So much data needed to set it up though