Another REX Saab 340 incident...

Has to be a maintenance issue. Pressure on costs usually results in corner cutting. The airlines generally have that risk worldwide. Accountant's won't run safe airlines. Metroliners are old planes needing a careful assessment of risks with aging and maintenance issues. Nev

• Agree 2

Actually Saab 340 not Metro, but airframes are getting old too. Shouldnt be relevant for engines though?

Ill bet theres some maintenance teams getting roasted this week. Take offs and returns, baulked starts and such arent that uncommon. But engine out is a step above.

Sat in many airports waiting for maint team to arrive and reset or check some system out. often on the next flight.

Rex has a tough fight with main competitor being Qantaslink. Despite not being required (aircraft smaller) they are forced to implement and pay security levies at some airports just because Qantas DOES have to.

Sydney and other main centres trying to force them out.

Problem with these sized carriers is they need to larger routes to sponsor small volume ones Id guess. Without them many regional centres are screwed.

Seat pricing where only one brand operates are up to 100% more expensive and never on special for the same travel distance.

• Agree 3

I fly REX fairly often and have found them to be a good airline that usually keeps a good schedule. I haven't seen anything (so far!) to cause me concern about maintenance. The SAAB 340 airframes are getting on in age (production finished 1989) but apparently have a lot of hours/cycles left in them to last quite a lot of years yet. Talking to a REX pilot a while back, he doesn't know what they'll do after that as the REX business model is very much built on the efficiency of the SAABs. Apparently they are far better on fuel than any of the competing turboprops such as the Qantas Dash 8 or Virgin's ATR 72.

Without REX a lot of regional cities would be left to the mercy of Qantaslink or have nothing at all. I have no interest or shares in REX. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Agree 1

The 340's were made after 89, most of the REX fleet seem to be early/mid 90's. I read somewhere that the average fleet age was around 23yrs.

We operate older airframes then REX, older than me by a few years, certainly has a few challenges but I wouldn't associate an engine shutdown with an aging fleet.

Business is set up for the size of the 340 to run the leaner routes, a Q400 would be overkill on a lot of routes they run and a 100 or 200 would be older again. There is a market for a new aircraft just doesn't seem to be anyone willing to make it.

The 340's were made after 89, most of the REX fleet seem to be early/mid 90's. I read somewhere that the average fleet age was around 23yrs..

Yeah sorry...typographical brain-fade..meant 99 not 89.

• Like 1