Have an RA-Aus Pilot Certificate and moving to Sydney; Looking for somewhere to hire a Sling

Guest Ashton004

Guest Ashton004

As the title says, I'm about to move interstate. I've got my Pilot Certificate and will have my PAX endorsement by the time I move but all of my training so far has been in a Sling2.

I cannot find a single place in NSW that hires the Sling! Since I'll be upgrading to RPL later this year, I'd rather not have to spend the money learning a new aircraft but if that's what I absolutely have to do, so be it.

I can't even find an RA-Aus flight school remotely close to Sydney - suggestions are very welcome!

Welcome to the Recreational Flying forums, and to Sydney in advance.

If you are going to live south of theHarbour/Parramatta River, then you would do best to suss out flying from The Oaks, in the far south-west. If you are north of the river, come across to Bankstown.

Old Man Emu

Guest Ashton004

Thanks for the info!

I'll be in Erskineville so Bankstown looks to be much closer to me. Most recommendations there seem to be Pacific Flight Services there so I'll most likely do my RPL through them in the Warrior.

The struggle right now is trying to find a Sling. They're everywhere in QLD but I can't find any in NSW.

If I can't find any around then I might as well save my money and not bother getting my PAX endorsement in it since I'll never actually use it before having my RPL :)

Sling is a great aircraft, but why not consider converting to something else - they all have something to teach you. Something like a Tecnam Sierra would be closest to what you're used to, but why not step right out of your comfort zone and try say a Eurofox or Foxbat?

Consider a SportStar at Goulburn. Ascending in Class G has it's benefits even though it's a two hour drive out of Sydney. If you are heading south or west (away from the coastal weather) you could be missing out on early ground fog. Downside: It gets really cold there in winter

Guest Ashton004

Thanks for the info but the only reason I was going to get my PAX endorsement in the Sling is so I can fly with my partner between now and when I finish up my RPL. Paying for type training in another LSA and a 172/Warrior probably isn't the smartest choice financially.

She'll be a nervous passenger for at least the first few as well so it's unlikely that once I have my RPL, I'll ever go back to flying LSAs. It's certainly not a comfort zone thing, I'm excited by the prospect of learning something new, just trying to get it done without tipping more money than I need to into training :)