Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

Yesterday I was one of those returning ‘roos and my faith in our national carrier took a further hit.

The CEO laid off heaps of experienced staff to get the company thru Covid then must have expected them to miraculously join up again when it was over.  A little more loyalty to staff might have saved the recent sucession of stuff-ups by Qantas.

Before my recent overseas trip we made phone calls enquiring how I’d go with limited mobility after a hip replacement. We were pleasantly surprised to be promised that not only was my wheelchair welcome, they’d bring me right to the plane on it, then have it ready at the other end.

That never happened and I guess inexperienced new staff are the main issue. Instead, we’ve discovered how far apart passengers and their luggage can be unloaded. Somehow, wheelchairs come off the plane last. Yesterday morning we beat the rush at Sydney, but lost an hour or more just searching for the plurry chair.

The CEO does not deserve any bonus.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Perhaps you should have used ' Their ' wheelchair. 

I had my Last air trip , befor a hip replacement. 

We had the wheelchair ordered & it was on time every time.

My own wheelie stayed home.

Not touched since that NEW hip . It must be a mess by now . LoL

spacesailor

33 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Perhaps you should have used ' Their ' wheelchair. 

I had my Last air trip , befor a hip replacement. 

We had the wheelchair ordered & it was on time every time.

My own wheelie stayed home.

Not touched since that NEW hip . It must be a mess by now . LoL

spacesailor

Spacey that might work for most people, but I’m 1.93m tall. After my new hip joint was fitted, I couldn’t bend my leg enough to fit a standard wheelchair (that leg also has a dodgy knee that’s survived five ops.).

I bought my own and modified it. That took me days and cost money. The result was worth it and sure made a difference on my recent trip. Much of the time I used it as a walker and loaded it with my baggage. In fact, it helped me avoid a potentially crippling fall on the uneven pavers and cobblestones common to where we went.

• Like 2

Not a silly pic, but well worth posting: I’ve seen this famous image before, but not the caption, sent by my sister:

Famous photograph showing test pilot George Aird ejecting from a pre-production example of the English Electric Lightning fighter in September 1962. 

Fortunately the pilot survived after coming down in a greenhouse full of tomatoes. He suffered multiple breaks of his limbs and cuts from the shower of glass that rained down on him after going through the roof of the greenhouse.

image.thumb.jpeg.807b49686087e8935db2fbb5aec8dc17.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

We had some short lengths of railway line bolted to the front. It was a case of trying to retrieve the digger from a hole using the hydraulics.

Without any power steering when the front wheels hit a rock or something you could lose your thumbs.

Newbies learnt quickly how to properly place hands on the steering wheel.

Sold the Fordson a year ago - it was still going strong after ~70 years. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, eightyknots said:

🇮🇹 This is an Italian-registered ICP Ventura.

SmartSelect_20221118_230357_Google.jpg

Yep. I saw an interview with a representative of the manufacturer who said that the owner specifically requested that rego. She said words along the lines of “you know, the word means exactly the same in English, Italian and German, but he wanted it!”  

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...