Savannah S Dreaming

FIL65

Hi Tom,

That sounds like a great idea, I'll chase up some big enough to do the job.

I guess time will tell if the seats are worth the money. Was thinking of building them first, then I can sit in them when I need inspiration while I'm trying to decipher the manual.

• Haha 1

"Cleared some space on the mezzanine floor in the shed we are living in till I finish building the house....."

I showed my wife this and she laughed out loud...though not in an unkind way:

Over here, the thing seems to be to buy the kit, then spend the next 6 months frantically building shed/hangar/lean-to, to actually put it in.

While over there the fashion seems to be to start the build in the lounge/on the pool table/in the mother-in-law's spare room, then move it when that becomes impossible.

You, however, may have set an entirely new standard!

As for the skins: someone over there suggested rolling them up. And while this takes up more room than hanging them flat, it does make it very easy to handle them on your own.

• Haha 2

Phil

I got some alodine and have been alodining the brackets and parts I cant easily see like inside the wing and also the firewall brackets and side and floor brackets and I will also be doing all the fuselage frames. Its super easy and very quick to do. I would maybe think about doing the same especially while you have all the bits easily gotten to at the moment

The 2 plastic containers fit the main wing rib and pretty much everything else. They came from bunnings. The other container has the acid wash...all it is ...is mag wheel cleaner from supercheap to clean the alu before putting it in the alodine. Once you put it in the alodine its only less than a minute at the moment you coat them well enough as the solution gets used more I think it will obviously be longer but its quick at the moment

IMG_4890.JPG.4d95972bdc5391efd64fd4e0106c08a2.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG.264005ee93289a8dc20e73f8624adbca.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG.677e257eda7b4a11e14c5f20618a2141.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG.e445c7323fa684c118aaf47bd015532d.JPG

Mark,

I have been contemplating what corrosion control methods to use on my aircraft. Alodine looks to be the best method, with the best outcome. Have you found a local supplier?

Are you rinsing after the alodine dip?

I need to catch up with you in the near future to have a chat before I get to far into the build.

IBob,

I wasn't surpassed to open the box till the house was finished but you know how it is. Just told the wife that I am sorting, he he.

I will probably leave the skins in the box as I have the space to do it.

Best duck over and see what else I can put on the mezzanine for sorting!

Yes I finally found the right place. Its halfway to the Gold Coast at Ormeau but they had it. You used to be able to buy it in crystal format in 500 gram lots but they have since changed and Henkle now only supply it in 4.5kg....thats $1000 and makes up 600 US gallons....yeah right!!!!! but you can buy premade up liquid in 4 of US 1 gallon bottles in a carton that was $155.00 plus it totals about 15 litres. I have 2 of the 4 bottles in that tub and its heaps so far and it is still doing it in about 1 minute...yes you need to clean then acid wash first..wash off the acid wash then drop into the alodine...then pull it out and wash it off and let it dry and bingo its done...its really quick and easy

While over there the fashion seems to be to start the build in the lounge/on the pool table/in the mother-in-law's spare room, then move it when that becomes impossible.

To be perfectly fair I moved my mother out before I started building mine in her lounge room.

• Haha 1

actually thats a good idea Steve..my rims get corrosion on them

It depends on what or who you read, alodine is either 10 times as poisonous as cyanide or "it won't harm a fly". What or who do you believe?

I use aluminium mag wheel cleaner as its not so agressive and you rub it with a scotchbrite while its in the acid. This is why I have the chemical style gloves..I was it off then put it in the alodine solution and I have some wire I put through a hole thats in the end and lift it out then drip it off a bit then wash it

Yes I finally found the right place. Its halfway to the Gold Coast at Ormeau but they had it. You used to be able to buy it in crystal format in 500 gram lots but they have since changed and Henkle now only supply it in 4.5kg....thats $1000 and makes up 600 US gallons....yeah right!!!!! but you can buy premade up liquid in 4 of US 1 gallon bottles in a carton that was $155.00 plus it totals about 15 litres. I have 2 of the 4 bottles in that tub and its heaps so far and it is still doing it in about 1 minute...yes you need to clean then acid wash first..wash off the acid wash then drop into the alodine...then pull it out and wash it off and let it dry and bingo its done...its really quick and easy

Mark , when you say premade, do you use it straight out of the bottle? I am paying $180+ for 1US gal of Alodine but then dilute it 3 to 1 with distilled water, giving me about 15lts. of mix

What is the brand name of the mag wheel cleaner? is it the same as Alumiprep 33?

"Cleared some space on the mezzanine floor in the shed we are living in till I finish building the house....."I showed my wife this and she laughed out loud...though not in an unkind way:

Over here, the thing seems to be to buy the kit, then spend the next 6 months frantically building shed/hangar/lean-to, to actually put it in.

You, however, may have set an entirely new standard!

As for the skins: someone over there suggested rolling them up. And while this takes up more room than hanging them flat, it does make it very easy to handle them on your own.

I must have joined the "over here" side because I am building the shed first.

The plans have been with the Council for ages but we're in the fastest growing council region on the North Island of New Zealand. They boosted the number of building inspectors by 50% and they are still taking quite some time to approve plans. The frames are already made so it's a matter of getting the slab down and me getting the frames up soon thereafter, etc.

Hi Tony

Its the mag wheel cleaner you get from supercheap mine is concentrate and the mix ratio is 300ml in 10 litres and I use it at the recommended usage for mag wheels. The Alodine came in a box of 4 of 1 US gallon bottles and they told me it was already mixed ready for use. I have to say it works pretty quick as I said it takes about 1 minute if you leave it too much longer the part starts to get pretty dark. The 4 bottles were $155.00 plus GST. It is the Henkel product

Hank

I havent done anything too big and I dont propose to do so. I am really only doing the bits I cant see easily when she is finished. The sheets on the fuse and wing will be etched and painted all the other stuff will be left alodined

Those golden parts look attractive.

I wish I would have looked at your pictures first! I spent a couple of hours this morning web searching and ringing around here in Enzed: former stockists tell me that Alodine is a "discontinued product". I found out, eventually, that Bonderite 1201 is exactly the same stuff with a new name. It's $125.00 (+ GST) per US gallon here. There are only four gallons left in NZ so I decided to snap up half their stock.

If you use Alodine/Bonderite on the parts do you still need ICP's Black Goop?