Savannah S Dreaming

FIL65

1C21E304-FF66-4B01-8131-4E6C7853CADC.jpeg.2fbf993666a34a86e1776b7554bcedf0.jpeg Hi Steve,

No i didn’t alodine the rivets. Thanks for the advise I was following the directions in the manual for rivet direction. I will look at doing it for the remainder.

1C21E304-FF66-4B01-8131-4E6C7853CADC.jpeg.2049ff8171d19ebedd91c3dc575c71a5.jpeg

Hey Rank,

I think you are right. That is sheetmetal basics.

ICP might know best, but more likely they just don't care.

Newest carelesness I found:

They tie the parashute lines to the fuel lines in their factory builts. So if you hang on your rescue system and think you are safe, you can enjoy a nice gasoline shower.

No joke, I got pictures!

Hey Rank,I think you are right. That is sheetmetal basics.

ICP might know best, but more likely they just don't care.

Newest carelesness I found:

They tie the parashute lines to the fuel lines in their factory builts. So if you hang on your rescue system and think you are safe, you can enjoy a nice gasoline shower.

No joke, I got pictures!

037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Not nice if there is a little spark to go with the spilling fuel!

Thanks for the sheety advice gents, I will follow your educated info with the rest of the build. Only did the one rib as a practice. That is what is so good about this forum. Plenty of great info.

• 4 months later...

Finally back onto my Savannah build after being out of action most of the year with neck problems and chronic nerve pain. I recently had surgery and in recovery now and am finally able to get to work again. Part of my rehab has been sitting de burring and alodining parts. After a week or so of that I decided it was time to put something together to make me feel like something has been achieved so I started assembly of the fuselage.

IMG_3961.JPG.6af86a66fe9f9d62a71a7e79807f38c1.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG.68e7920b0fb3a9555ee80b14f206bda4.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG.b5bb2fb685b638388333a5232946aa25.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG.43efba05ab11610c6e9d8a7640bc9376.JPG

• Like 3

Finally back onto my Savannah build after being out of action most of the year with neck problems and chronic nerve pain. I recently had surgery and in recovery now and am finally able to get to work again. Part of my rehab has been sitting de burring and alodining parts. After a week or so of that I decided it was time to put something together to make me feel like something has been achieved so I started assembly of the fuselage.

[ATTACH=full]61129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]61130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]61131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]61132[/ATTACH]

Hi Fil65,

I am so happy that you are making a recovery after your operation. Thanks for the pictures: you're making good progress!

Looks great, Fil...and what great workshop you have!

Assuming you have extended baggage, don't forget to fit it before skinning that rear fuse...

Cheers Hank, its good to be pain free after so long suffering.

Thanks Bob, it certainly makes a difference having the workspace to do the job.

I'm in the process of preparing the parts for the extended baggage area. Can I assemble all of the parts for it prior to the skins.

I'm still working out how to adoldine dip my skins so the fuselage wont progress to much more until I have that sorted. I do still have the front fuselage and wing components to de burr and alodine yet so I'm not stuck for jobs to do.

Hank, I couldn't tell you the exact order, but it's not in any way complicated, and you'll easily sort it by clekoing the bits in and looking at it.

It's just that my brain dropped into neutral at the point, and I can tell you it's a bit of a PITA putting it in after the skins are on...)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Been a few months so I thought I would give a quick update on my build progress.

The past few months have been spent deburring and prepping for alodining while still recovering from my surgery which has not been 100% successful.

The fuselage is nearing completion to a point where it is ready for paint. Just waiting for some undercarriage components to come back from the powdercoaters and my 21x8.00x6 main tyres to arrive so I can get it on wheels and move it from my build table.

I've finished the rudder, elevator and 2 flaperons and should have the remaining control surfaces finished by the end of this week or early next week.

I have upgraded the UHMW block on the nose gear to 10mm to provide a larger bearing surface. And also replaced all the brass bushes with oversize 8mm O/D Teflon ones.

Wings should be on the build table in the next couple of weeks.

Avionic will be MGL. I am going with a 8.5" iEFIS Lite for my primary display and a Mini ETreme EFIS as my secondary display. This will give me the ability to have my flight instruments on the primary screen and engine instruments on the secondary and be able to switch between the 2 should I have a failure with one. I will also use the new MGL V16 radio which can be controlled from the displays also and not require a head unit. There will also be a iPad running OzRunways for navigation.

I have decided on going down a slightly different path with my engine and will be rebuilding a 912ULS using Edge Performance parts. The build will consist of a big bore kit, performance camshaft and 4 into 1 EFI  system. This should produce figures of around 123 hp. ( The guys at Edge have been dynoing standard 912ULS's and getting figures around 86hp, so I should get around 36 hp more than standard) A tuned exhaust will be the final part of the engine build in the future when Danny and Mark have that available. Just looking for a doner time expired 912ULS post 2006 build???? The engine build should be around the cost of a new 912ULS.

Cheers Phil

Bushes.thumb.JPG.1c948180df746e52f171ec9b2eb4cafd.JPG

Cockpit.thumb.JPG.3b983140ccfef0c6adaba8b01dea69bb.JPG

Firewall.thumb.JPG.e5e49ec3a5ba9f9e284c02ff8c2cb551.JPG

367243605_Fuselage1.thumb.JPG.b1e0f67723b05b96a864f34868d21f0c.JPG

UHMW.thumb.JPG.9bff7177903e4badf815fb268f69151f.JPG

• Like 1

Looks fantastic, Phil!

There's a little mod that Perry did here on that UHMW nosegear setup, and he was kind enough to duplicate it for me:

There are 2 UHMW pieces, front and back, and each one is only held by a bolt either side, allowing a fair bit of movement and flexing.  What Perry did was make some little pegs to go through the matching lightening holes in the UHMW and aluminium mounting plates, to better hold the UHMW shape around the noseleg.

May not be an issue, given that you have increased the thickness.

They're the stainless fittings here:

DSCF1563.thumb.JPG.0a33ffd7b21bbbb757a1f44fe8770bc4.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

It was recommended to me by my L2 who has done a number of repairs on Savannah nose gears, so I have taken his advice and upgraded the UHMW block.

How is your build progressing.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil, and thanks for that. I do think the standard UHMW fastening is inadequate: if the wheel pushes back the rear UHMW can easily flex back, then the noseleg is on the aluminium and almost certainly not moving freely. Hence Perry's little mod that I pictured above.

I'm coming to the end of my build. I shut the shed a while back for about a year: had some stuff going on here and really wasn't enjoying it. But I'm back on track now.

Engine is in, I'm waiting on one gauge to finish the panel (basic steam). After that there are a a couple dozen minor items to pick off, then it's on with the prop, and run the engine. I'll be doing as much as I can here (at home) before finally shifting to the Airfield to put the wings on etc. I'm hoping to see some air under the wheels sometime Autumn, though I'm deliberately not rushing now.

Looks like you're firing ahead!

Bob

Hi Bob,

That's good to hear. Had my first inspection on Saturday and all went well with the fuselage and flight controls. I have just purchased a time expired 912 for my rebuild and have ordered the Edge Performance parts so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Im hoping to be in the air by around May all going well.

Cheers Phil

• 2 months later...

Appreciate this is an old thread but does anyone have a source for the 10mm UHMV parts.  Having done 140 hours on mine I can see the value.  I am about to go down the path of making some or getting some made and do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Andy

ZK SUA

Appreciate this is an old thread but does anyone have a source for the 10mm UHMV parts.  Having done 140 hours on mine I can see the value.  I am about to go down the path of making some or getting some made and do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Andy

ZK SUA

I may be interested too. Hopefully PerryNZ or In Ibob will know the source. 

Hi Guys,

i had my UHMW block made by Coastal Aviation. They are located here on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. It wasn’t cheap as it was a one off, but worth the investment.

Cheers Phil

A quick update on my build progress.

Have the skins on both wings. Thanks to IBob for the idea of using a fence on the bench and to Bill Grieves for helping me pre bend the D skins. Fuel tanks and plumbing in next.

Cheers Phil

6B414692-B2C7-46C4-BFC9-D050F293A5AC.thumb.jpeg.0372dcadf47b55e14afaa2ec74b7364b.jpeg

5C2460A2-A1FE-42D7-8131-E3178E401EA6.thumb.jpeg.d596346f24f11194ed293d6a756533db.jpeg

A5050001-F26D-477D-AE0E-44BA855E45E1.thumb.jpeg.ebca872cd14fed312b21160cc21650f2.jpeg

BFD80729-C7D2-4AA2-B74A-EE4B8F644569.thumb.jpeg.79fbacde0346b9c474dffe1747d263cb.jpeg

5EBB76F3-D4EB-45B9-B7D6-D010F5AC3243.thumb.jpeg.9999f719e3ce8ed6445a8a8efe8c3b48.jpeg

• Like 2

Marc,

I have a home-made 3.6m press brake that could do that pre-bending really easy. Now equipt with a full length mandrel for bending short radius bends, ie- trailing edge rudder, and other shorter mandrels for radius approx 6 and 22mm. Would be no problem to make up a larger radius mandrel for those main wing leading edges. 

I'm finished with it and it's free to take away to any who can use it, such as you guys at CAB. I did mention it to Roger but haven't seen him since.

Interested??