Savannah S Dreaming

FIL65

• 4 weeks later...
Been a few months so I thought I would give a quick update on my build progress.

The past few months have been spent deburring and prepping for alodining while still recovering from my surgery which has not been 100% successful.

The fuselage is nearing completion to a point where it is ready for paint. Just waiting for some undercarriage components to come back from the powdercoaters and my 21x8.00x6 main tyres to arrive so I can get it on wheels and move it from my build table.

I've finished the rudder, elevator and 2 flaperons and should have the remaining control surfaces finished by the end of this week or early next week.

I have upgraded the UHMW block on the nose gear to 10mm to provide a larger bearing surface. And also replaced all the brass bushes with oversize 8mm O/D Teflon ones.

Wings should be on the build table in the next couple of weeks.

Avionic will be MGL. I am going with a 8.5" iEFIS Lite for my primary display and a Mini ETreme EFIS as my secondary display. This will give me the ability to have my flight instruments on the primary screen and engine instruments on the secondary and be able to switch between the 2 should I have a failure with one. I will also use the new MGL V16 radio which can be controlled from the displays also and not require a head unit. There will also be a iPad running OzRunways for navigation.

I have decided on going down a slightly different path with my engine and will be rebuilding a 912ULS using Edge Performance parts. The build will consist of a big bore kit, performance camshaft and 4 into 1 EFI system. This should produce figures of around 123 hp. ( The guys at Edge have been dynoing standard 912ULS's and getting figures around 86hp, so I should get around 36 hp more than standard) A tuned exhaust will be the final part of the engine build in the future when Danny and Mark have that available. Just looking for a doner time expired 912ULS post 2006 build???? The engine build should be around the cost of a new 912ULS.

Cheers Phil

[ATTACH]37274[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37276[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37277[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37278[/ATTACH]

Hi Fil,

Are these oversize 8mm O/D Teflon bushes commercially available off-the-shelf? If so, where did you buy them?

• 6 months later...

I haven't posted for a while so I thought Id give a quick update on the progress of Savannah 19-1605.

Fuselage and wings have both been to the paint shop and I am working on the internal fitout.

The panel is a simple glass setup with MGL equipment being used. I gone with a 8.5" Explorer Lite iEFIS as my primary, and a XTreme EFIS/EMS as my secondary. Also fitted a Guardian mini IPad holder for running OzRunways.  Also using the MGL V16 radio controlled from the EFIS and a ECB (Electronic Circuit Breaker) which can also be programmed and monitored from the EFIS.

Engine build is progressing slowly. Am waiting for big bore kit, EFI and performance camshaft to arrive from Edge Performance and the rest of the components I require for the overhaul from Floods. This combination should put me around 125hp, providing a nice boost of power when it is needed.

Cheers Phil

IMG_5307.thumb.JPG.938b4426ae2c6570d0254f6e67ad651d.JPG

IMG_5312.thumb.JPG.1139c2d61cfedebb732917a27c3cd9c6.JPG

IMG_5304.thumb.JPG.e2b20db9f00f03ed022516072a6e8ea9.JPG

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.899a52178a889ed3a1a76396afdc66b3.JPG

IMG_5349.thumb.JPG.c1bbde94f1192bdcd667642b82fcb97e.JPG

IMG_5350.thumb.JPG.05347382276b5fdd6bd6180054185863.JPG

IMG_5348.thumb.JPG.21c9e792cf62feff2d16bab07027de2d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

• 4 months later...

Been busy with a new FIFO job so not getting as much time on the build as I would like. Finally got my Edge Performance part, big bore kit, performance cam and EFI and engine build is complete. Home for a couple of weeks so have the new engine mounted.

Next big project is a custom 4-2-1 exhaust doing way with the crappy ICP system.

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.226c62e6d480430e3c6b55951f327d02.JPG

IMG_5465.thumb.JPG.e6cd13c42e134e596e89dc3cf960ab4e.JPG

IMG_5467.thumb.JPG.598c47aa5e194ef486f45a5827278383.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Been some time since I posted on my build.

Test flew back in July and I'm only about 10 hours into the RAAus test flight program due to working away from home and poor weather.

She flies nice and straight from day one. Only a couple of little issues to resolve, the most annoying being the MGL radio which I will hopefully have resolved next time I'm home.

The Edge enhanced Rotax certainly gets her of the ground with 120hp+ under the new carbon fibre cowl. Just playing with prop pitch at the moment also to get a nice balance on cruise speed and take off performance.

Finished Sav 1.jpg

No Cowl.jpg

Panel.jpg

Baggage Area.jpg

Engine.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice carpeting job FIL65 -  I rather wish I had got someone with more skill than me to do ours - its a bit agricultural. I see you've gone for a Bolly prop too - did you consider the  E-Prop? It does seem to provide better performance than the Bolly. As a final comment, a builder here in NZ also fitted the Edge Performance engine - he found the takeoff roll to be shorter, but little increase in cruise performance - the aircraft is just too draggy.