What would you recommend for my situation? RA-Aus or RPL?

What would you recommend for my situation? RA-Aus or RPL?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What would you recommend for my situation? RA-Aus or RPL?

• RA-Aus certificate
    • RPL

Thank you all for the replies!Definitely a lot of information to take in, but from what you've all told me, it seems like RA-Aus would be the best approach for me, given the many components and endorsements that will carry over to an RPL for the PPL pathway in the future. The paperwork part still seems a bit muddy, but I'll figure that out as it comes. As long as they carry over, that's all that matters.

So, it's looking like I'll end up going to the Adelaide Soaring Club then, which would offer both gliding and RA-Aus training, but I don't live too far from both Gawler Aerodrome and Parafield Airport, so I should be able to converge paths in the future without too much difficulty.

Cheers again for your help, and if I do run into anyone at the aerodrome, let me know - I owe you a beer as thanks!

A point of caution. Investigate what the particular RAA school is teaching. There appears to be a very large difference to the finished product/knowledge. Nothing wrong with the RAA syllabus as such but too many graduates would make the average PPL shudder. Certainly not grouping all RAA schools together but I am sure if you have a yarn around an airport you will be suitably informed. The cheapest way is sometimes not the best option if you want to feel and perform to an acceptable standard - unless you only want to fly around a bush paddock at 60 to 70 kts which does suit some people.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Capt Wally

Yes looking forward to getting back and learning to fly the RV8 again

Don't forget Alan S. at Kyneton who is very well versed on RV8 along with one of the highest hours logged in flying,

More than happy for you to climb all over the RV8

Cheers

Hi all,I'm currently a final year university student and an avid aviation fan since childhood. Having completed my final exams, this year is free for me to hopefully learn how to fly a plane and obtain a license for recreational flying.

My end goal is to be able to take my family and friends on general flights, for instance Adelaide to Kangaroo Island, as well as to simply fly for fun. I would also work on gaining further training and endorsements after this in order to do so following gaining a basic license.

PPL is on my goal list in the long term once I start working next year and accruing funds, so for now I'd like to decide between the RA-Aus and RPL.

I have two options to do this, and I'm not sure which would benefit me more in terms of cost, and so I hope you may be able to provide me with some advice on which to take.

Currently my options are:

1) RA-Aus at Adelaide Soaring Club, learning on the Jabiru J170 at $138/hr + annual student (concession) membership fees of $46, and convert to RPL with further training afterwards

OR

2) Go straight for RPL training with a flight school and disregard the RA-Aus course completely?

Which would you recommend I do in terms of cost and efficiency?

Thank you all for your help!

Hi Damiann -

I endorse most if not all proceeding advise.

As a PPL/RAA pilot endorsed to constant speed retractable - I found the Jabiru's, I did my conversion in, to be quite demanding, compared with the GA spam cans I was used too. This coupled with my current aircraft, (ATEC Zephyr) leads me to suggest that flying at the lighter end (including gliders) gives you skills that GA aircraft just dont/cant.

So along with the many other opinions, I would wholeheartedly suggest obtaining your RAA Pilot Cert and then converting to GA, when and if you want to go there. You will be a much better pilot for going this route.

Hi Damiann -I endorse most if not all proceeding advise.

As a PPL/RAA pilot endorsed to constant speed retractable - I found the Jabiru's, I did my conversion in, to be quite demanding, compared with the GA spam cans I was used too. This coupled with my current aircraft, (ATEC Zephyr) leads me to suggest that flying at the lighter end (including gliders) gives you skills that GA aircraft just dont/cant.

So along with the many other opinions, I would wholeheartedly suggest obtaining your RAA Pilot Cert and then converting to GA, when and if you want to go there. You will be a much better pilot for going this route.

I am yet to do a type conversion that hasn't taught me something yet. Jab was great for really basic stick and rudder, and they will help your crosswind technique more than you can imagine. Once you start adding CSU, RU etc the complexity goes up, but the basic aircraft is a lot more stable. Once you get to things like a C210, twins etc all of a sudden you are moving fast in an aircraft you can't just chop and drop so you have to think profiles and get well ahead of the airplane. Obviously turbine starts changing things even more again.

Ultimately if your ambition is to become a commercial pilot, having an ability to rapidly convert between aircraft will be advantageous. RAA isn't a bad place to learn the basics of flying though.

A point of caution. Investigate what the particular RAA school is teaching. There appears to be a very large difference to the finished product/knowledge. Nothing wrong with the RAA syllabus as such but too many graduates would make the average PPL shudder. Certainly not grouping all RAA schools together but I am sure if you have a yarn around an airport you will be suitably informed. The cheapest way is sometimes not the best option if you want to feel and perform to an acceptable standard - unless you only want to fly around a bush paddock at 60 to 70 kts which does suit some people.

I'll definitely be looking through the syllabus and doing a bit more research at all of my options before I charge in. Safety and adequate training is paramount in my eyes in my priorities of learning to fly, so I will be weighing up my options of all the different schools available to me in my area before I make a decision.

I am yet to do a type conversion that hasn't taught me something yet. Jab was great for really basic stick and rudder, and they will help your crosswind technique more than you can imagine. Once you start adding CSU, RU etc the complexity goes up, but the basic aircraft is a lot more stable. Once you get to things like a C210, twins etc all of a sudden you are moving fast in an aircraft you can't just chop and drop so you have to think profiles and get well ahead of the airplane. Obviously turbine starts changing things even more again.Ultimately if your ambition is to become a commercial pilot, having an ability to rapidly convert between aircraft will be advantageous. RAA isn't a bad place to learn the basics of flying though.

While I don't intend to become a commercial pilot in the near future, having the versatility of being able to fly different planes, as well as opportunities for continuing development in piloting skills is very appealing to me. I'll definitely note the additional advantages of starting in the Jab and skills learnt from later converting if I need.

While I would see glider experience as an excellent idea doing it FIRST doesn't necessarily fit the average persons organised training pathway and allocation of resources. It's a bit like golf . Until you reach a certain minimum proficiency it's not happening very much for you.

With flying skills, your instructor is so much the centre of it all, and I've constantly said that you are only an ab initio ONCE. That experience is the FOUNDATION of all the rest following. If you have some weakness it can go unnoticed until some disaster befalls you. It may never be picked up in any following checks till one day what is required you won't do well. You stuff it up as you haven't been trained for it properly. I'm talking of basic things like ,managing adverse aileron drag, severe gusts, quick action on elevator to punch out of an impending stall in appropriate circumstances and recovery from unusual attitudes competently and confidently in a 3 axis plane. as samples. This gives you the best fighting chance of gaining experience without pushing your luck too far. You always continue learning but you should know your limitations and should aim to fly within them. Circumstances may change that at times not of your choosing. That's why a depth of understanding in the basics must exist early based on a sound grip of fundamentals. If you don't understand something ASK at the time. Confusion and flying are a bad mix. I must clear that up one day isn't good enough. Some quite experienced pilots still have misconceptions about basics. Nev