Superpup/Aeropup

dreemhi

Well just finished building my aerovee at work this week and brought it back home ..will plonk it onto the mount this weekend just to see how it fits.. looks like I will have to modify the cowl a fair bit as the aerovee is a few inch wider than the jab donk ..

Hows the flying been in the ones that are airborne guys ??????

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Curandero

Hi Brett, I have 100+ hours on my aeropup and all is going well. I will be interested to know how the streamline from an even wider front end will look as it slims past the fire wall.

curandero

Still building .....

Hi Brett,

My Aerovee is sitting on the front now and has been there for a while now. I have built the cowls and made cut outs for the rocker covers to fit through. Maybe one day I will shape the fiberglass around them. I have fitted a Sweetapple prop 56"D x 38"P. Fitting the leading edges onto the wings this weekend and had the seats covered this week. It is all coming together slowly.

Mark

Coming along a little quicker than mine I think ,,, I wish I didn't have a house to build at the same time (we finished the tiling last weekend) ,,at the moment I do one weekend to plane and one weekend to house ,,the house is very close to being finished (hoping soon) then will be all go on the plane :)

Let me know how you go with that prop when you fire the big girl up ,,, I'm still quite away from that but I think I will start doing all the wiring for the engine,, gauges and so on ,,,spose it doesn't matter what order things are done in as long as it's all done in the end...

Yeah, I have my panel in and about to do the wiring. I bought the AeroVee trim system and their spinner (which is solid ally and quite heavy). There was a bit to do to get the brakes operational. I am going to try motor bike hand leavers to give independent braking, mounted on the floor under my knees. Starting to think about fabric.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Well I have just finished painting the front of the frame tonight as on the starboard side I was missing the strips to mount the side panel. I had to weld on some flat bar so as I could rivet the panel on without having to drill through the tubing structure.. was a real shame to ruin that beautifully powder coated finish but didn't have much choice I thought. Had a welder mate tig it on and it came out sweet,,,rubbed it back, primed it up and on with some paint that was recommended by the local powder coater up here. Had to completely strip the frame to transport it there but really I hadn't gotton that far on the fuse so was not much of a chore. Mark I was looking at a photo I got from JC,, I guess from when he made the mount for the aerovee and was wondering if he temp fitted it onto your frame ,,,looks from the picture the same strip was missing ,,,did you have the same drama?

The brake idea sounds good and I have been really wondering about what to do there as well,,,,

Think I will wait right till the end b4 I buy a prop ,,,from what I gather the aerovee turns a left hand prop, havn't seen anything on the site about it pretty sure it is.

Guest swede

Hi There,

I have mounted my "m-cycle" brake levers in the middle of the instrument panel on the 16 mm cross over tubing running underneath by turning a drilling a 16 mm hole and then turn and split a 25 mm solid piece of aluminium, the end of the levers are facing each other - I am 6ft2 and have a long reach - no problems reaching the levers... cheers

SWEDE

• 2 weeks later...

G'day guys,,,just got back from a 1000km round road trip to have a look at a (just about to under go final inspection) aeropup with a 6 cyl jab clamped on the front ;) .. I'm guessing with those sort of horses up front it will prob leap of the runway ... will be good to hear how it all goes once it's flying.

cheers for that photo swede :thumb_up: ,,, the brake setup on this plane was similar to yours but face downwards ,,, however still deciding what to do with mine.

• 4 weeks later...

hey Guy's,,,just a query if anyone can remember or have a look,,, on the last outer wing tip ribs where the fabric brace struts are riveted through the rib itself ,,,,the alloy angle that is used ,,,,, what size is the aluminum angle used? Is it the same as the angle used to mount the cowling at the top which is 1" x 1.5" ??? or can a smaller gauge angle be used,,,,bit hard to work out from the plans ,,or I just cant see where it is listed anyway ???

refer the drawing WM2 if I haven't explained very well.

The 4 x tubes 1+2 and 8+9 rivet onto the angle in the picture..

thanks

Guest swede

3 57-10-15 Stiffener Angle 0.040”Th. M 2 Ea Al Alloy

I think this is what you mean: Item 3

Regards

SWEDE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Curandero

Hi Bruce. for my trailer I bought an decrepit old caravan and with a chain saw made it into a flat bed trailer. I had a local boiler maker make wheel clamps with over centre clamps to hold the wheels down and put a $130 winch up front where the spare wheel had gone. Also a couple of ramps and had the wiring rationalised by an auto electrician. You might also contact the bushman as he has an all metal style for his supapup.

Curandero

• 1 month later...

Kit for sale

Hi all.

Well the crunch has come. My kit is up on ebay at a bargin price. If you know anyone that is interested in a kit, point them that way. they wont get a complete one any cheaper.

Paul:crying:

• 2 months later...

[ATTACH]8672.vB[/ATTACH]guys I was just wondering what your thoughts are about the dihedral,,,, I have set my wings up on props and are just about to drill the wing mount holes ,,,so far I have set it up at 1 , 1.5 , 1.75 and 2 degrees ,,, 2 degrees looks like a heck of a lot however , ,, what would be the lowest setting would anyone know so the flap levers (placed underneath) will clear the fuse? to get the angle I have string lined the wings at 10 foot and taken measurements from another string line from the root ribs,,, any thoughts on this method or is there a better way? Btw yes the plane is in my house ,,,need to drill these holes so I can put it back in the shed but the shed ain't quite big enough too do this important bit and I could never leave my baby out in the cold with no shelter for all this time hehe. in this photo the wings are set at 1.5

001.jpg.5a11d8828ec2ef039eeb90629bce8f56.jpg

• 2 months later...

There is another Aero Pup about to go on the register. Has anyone out there done wing loading tests (sand bags or the likes) and if so what loads did you take the wings up to. I'm asking for a friend who is not online and is not to sure how far to go.

• Caution 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After about 4 yrs at home I finally took my Aeropup to the airport,,, still have quite a bit of work to do on it before it's inspected and flown but getting closer all the time,,,,IMAG0424.jpg.12af395d9db0d9cdba6045106457a8d8.jpg

• Informative 1