Murwillumba aircraft missing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a different perspective, he died doing something he loved. I would much prefer to "go" doing something I enjoyed and understood the risks than meet a drunk driver in a head-on. That would be tragic!

RIP fellow aviator.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Some one said he bought the plane to do aerobatics does anybody know if they are rated for that? Some one also said they saw a wing fall off. 19 rego is not aerobatic.

There was one advertised recently that stated "aerobatic +4g/-4g". The 19 rego does not affect the aerobatic ability of the aircraft or pilot, just the legality.

• Agree 6

There was one advertised recently that stated "aerobatic +4g/-4g". The 19 rego does not affect the aerobatic ability of the aircraft or pilot, just the legality.

...insofar as aerobatics, which can cause spins, and wings being ripped off are prohibited.

• Agree 2

...insofar as aerobatics, which can cause spins, and wings being ripped off are prohibited.

Odd turn of phrase.

Spins are not caused by aerobatics but can either be an aerobatic manoeuvre itself or a result of another manoeuvre gone wrong.

And aerobatics within the airframes limits do not rip wings off.

As others have said airframe capacity and pilot ability are not the same as legal limitations.

Airframes registered with RAAus and pilot certificate holders are not a legal combination.

But an airframe on the RAAus register that otherwise when registered GA is within limited aerobatics capabilities does not lose those inherent capabilities due to RAAus reg ... but it's not legal and if you're not trained it's bloody dangerous.

Not saying anything like this occured here. He went flying and did not come back. Until anything is factually disclosed that says that occurred my only thoughts are for his family and friends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I always find this comment/statement some what of an oxymoron, we read/hear it a lot. "He died doing something he loved' Really? Does anyone want to die just cause you are doing something you love? I'd prefer to stay alive despite loving something (like flying!)It's such a silly statement!

I love a good night's sleep. I suppose I have to die one day, so in my sleep would be one of the better ways. Of course no one wants to die, but it's a source of comfort to some people that the person one was doing what they loved and I for one wouldn't belittle that.

• Agree 7
  • More 1

Odd turn of phrase.Spins are not caused by aerobatics but can either be an aerobatic manoeuvre itself or a result of another manoeuvre gone wrong.

And aerobatics within the airframes limits do not rip wings off.

As others have said airframe capacity and pilot ability are not the same as legal limitations.

Airframes registered with RAAus and pilot certificate holders are not a legal combination.

But an airframe on the RAAus register that otherwise when registered GA is within limited aerobatics capabilities does not lose those inherent capabilities due to RAAus reg ... but it's not legal and if you're not trained it's bloody dangerous.

Not saying anything like this occurred here. He went flying and did not come back. Until anything is factually disclosed that says that occurred my only thoughts are for his family and friends.

Replace the word "cause" with "result in"

The point of my post was that aerobatics in RA are ILLEGAL!

I was very disappointed that it took Richard in post #53 to even give this some significance.

• Agree 1

Old Mate was found about 9am at limpinwood on a property next door to my Mothers .

Apparently a witness who saw the plane go down teaches Aviation at TAFE . So hopefully RAA etc can get a good idea of what happened from him.

.He was probably having a whole lotta fun before the bad bit

I wonder if he would have liked this:

Flying West...

I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,

Where pilots can go, when they have to die.

A place where a guy could buy a cold beer

For a friend and a comrade whose memory is dear.

A place where no doctor or lawyer could tread,

Nor a management -type would e'er be caught dead!

Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,

Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!

The kind of a place where a lady could go,

And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.

There MUST be a place where old pilots go, when

Their wings become weary, when their airspeed gets low;

Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young,

And songs about flying and dying are sung.

Where you'd see all the fellows who'd "flown west" before,

And they'd call out your name, as you came thru the door,

Who would buy you a drink, if the thirst should be bad,

And relate to the others, "He was quite a good lad!"

And then thru the mist you'd spot an old guy

You had not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,

He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,

And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!

For this is the place where true flyers come,

When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;

We've come here at last, to be safe and afar,

From the government clerk, and the management czar,

Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,

Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,

Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."

"This is Heaven, my son: You've passed your last check!"

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

I always find this comment/statement some what of an oxymoron, we read/hear it a lot. "He died doing something he loved' Really? Does anyone want to die just cause you are doing something you love? I'd prefer to stay alive despite loving something (like flying!)It's such a silly statement!

I agree with you about this often trotted out comment. I know I love controlled flight, but the day it all goes pear shaped I know I will not love the last few seconds most likely filled with terror and spent fighting for my life.

If I leave this world as a result of a flight gone wrong, I really hope that no one says or writes that I "died doing something I loved".

• Agree 5
  • Winner 2

Maybe, he ended up dying while doing something he loved, loved it right up until something went wrong

I know I love flying but dont think I'll be loving it if it goes pear shaped and the grounds coming up at me at a great rate of knots

• Agree 3

Be thorough with your pre-flights, don't extend the envelope or your capabilities, keep the family and loved ones in the back of your mind, and fly safe.

We want more posts from you.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

A sad outcome. Condolences to family and friends. RIP forever flying.

I see my post has attracted a caution from Kasper, I'm wondering what is wrong with it.

I see my post has attracted a caution from Kasper, I'm wondering what is wrong with it.

It will be a "scrolling" caution, accidentally put there while scrolling. He will be able to remove it when he notices your post.

• Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Replace the word "cause" with "result in"The point of my post was that aerobatics in RA are ILLEGAL!

I was very disappointed that it took Richard in post #53 to even give this some significance.

Until it is established as a causal factor, it still has no significance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Nothing at all. Inadvertent like that has been removed. Sorry for the concern it raised.

• Like 2

Until it is established as a causal factor, it still has no significance.

It's up to you if you want to miss the point of illegal flying; I wasn't discussing the cause.

Whilst the aviation community is in mourning here & we await some results as to the cause I often pause after such tragic events & think what can I/we learn from others that have passed on? I lost a good mate some years ago in an Ag accident, he was an incredible natural pilot, never thought it would happen to him, shook me up for a while that did. Even though I've flown professionally for many years I still stooge around in my little plane almost oblivious to the dangers that can strike at any moment. Most of my flying is instinct these days having done it for a little while now but sometimes I wonder what can I do to improve my chances of coming home after flying? (Short of not flying at all) I've been pondering the idea of doing an advanced aerobatic course, mainly recovery from unusual attitudes, something that we pilots hopefully never come across in day to day normal flying.Any other thoughts out there?

P.S..I tagged this comment on to this thread as it's kind of related, besides the poor guy has left us now so we can perhaps add to our bag of tricks so we to don't meet the same fate.

Some gliding time covering off on the incipent spins, spins and recovery etc can assist some what. Just another option along with power aircraft areos.

Regards Mike

• Agree 2

P.S..I tagged this comment on to this thread as it's kind of related, besides the poor guy has left us now so we can perhaps add to our bag of tricks so we to don't meet the same fate.

I suggest a new thread for this discussion?
  • Agree 1

I fly aeroplanes that are capable of aerobatics, but that doesn't mean that I do aerobatics. I just like the fact that they are strong. Someone mentioned illegality. We have no idea wether or not there was any illegal action. Hopefully we will get advice as to what caused this accident, but so far we are in the dark. Like Mike I am surprised that it took so long to find the plane when someone is supposed to have seen a wing come off. Again we may learn later what happened.

• Winner 1

I've never done aerobatics in a plane not designed for it. It's stupid and not fair to any subsequent flier of that [lane I'm even cautious when the plane is made for it, of flight loads imposed. They have a "G" meter installed to read the max "G" imposed since reset. A good airframe is a remarkable thing design wise but all have their limits. I'd like a fiver for every time I've recommended doing unusual attitude recovery, (As DISTINCT from aerobatics) for ALL U/L pilots but especially for the instructors.

Not everyone likes aerobatics and negative "G" can be a bit of a hazard to your health at any age, moreso if you are older. You should probably fly in the prone position for the best results. Radical? Just logical. Nev

• Like 2

Died what they loved doing ........... best to say "died with their boots on"

You can wear your boots in bed if thats a safer option

Condolences to all those effected

All you sex crazed fella's who would like to die in bed doing the deed should think about the effect on the other person. Likely to affect them for the rest of their lives. I would think. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2
  • Helpful 1