Murwillumba aircraft missing.

Hey Phil, Years ago (maybe 15-18...dunno) a neat little very open biplane came to demonstrate its stuff at Canberra. It was a MIG powered by a 582. The pilot was employed by MIG. His demo was Great+++ but we never heard any more. Do you know anything about this aircraft? Don

Sorry Meth, I don't. Possibly because I ( Reluctantly ) returned to the UK to attend to a serious prob with Wifey's family, and she decided that she didn't want to return to Oz and leave her old Mum alone. . .Mum wouldn't come to live with us so that was that. We left just after Christmas 1982. . . Any history following that I have to get from you Gals 'N' Guys on RF. . . ( or the interwebbythingummy )

Incidentally, . . .I was such a DARNED GOOD Tiger pilot, that I put it into a ditch at Casey Field, due to taxying without a 'Wngman' we normally didn't use one on that level taxiway. . . although witnesses said that it was a big thermic gust which swung me around to the right as I was tracking along the taxiway parallel with the car park fence and treeline.

It damaged the prop when it nosed down, but Keith never sent me a bill for the damage, nor would he consider me paying for it at all. The engineer later said that there was bugger all damage to the airframe nor the engine. . . even though it 'Dinged' back town on the tailskid a bit 'eavy like. . . Oddly enough, No one took the pi$$. . . unlike nowadays, I just had to pay the bar fine of a dozen cold bottles. . .

Back at work, I designed and made a tee shirt showing a tiger standing on it's nose. with the text 'Berwick Nosedragger Club' . . .

I LOVED that place . . .and all it's characters. .

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CrikeyYou must be old.

I have a few hours in the RHS of a B18 with Dave.

67 on June 2nd Peter ! ( and feel like it too ! ) Don't remember seeing a B18 at Casey, did you fly it from elsewhere ? Or perhaps our attendances didn't coincide, . .I used to fly from there around three times weekly 1973 - 76

• Winner 1

Just as an aside to my tome regarding flight training at Berwick,. . .I omitted to credit my primary flying instructor Alan Baskett. Great bloke. Scared me half to death when he climbed out of that C150 after six and a half hours training ! !

He later moved to Essendon and started a company called 'Speedair' and was, as some of ou will know, the instructor aboard that Partenavia which crashed through the roof of a house on the Tullamarine Freeway. If I remember correctly, they were doing Night Circuits and had some runaway pitch trim problem.

I wonder if anyone knows if Alan and his lovely Wife Gwen are still around.

I don't know if Allan is still around, but I flew with him from Lovely banks in Vic July 1969. Got my Chipmunk endorsement. Nice bloke to fly with

• 4 months later...
I don't know if Allan is still around, but I flew with him from Lovely banks in Vic July 1969. Got my Chipmunk endorsement. Nice bloke to fly with

G day Yenn I lived in Geelong and used to ride my bike up to Lovely Banks as a young fella to watch the aircraft, I saved up a bit of cash and approached a chap , whose name escapes me , who had a silver Auster in the hanger and asked if he could take me for a fly. He agreed and that was my first experience of controlling a flying machine, I will never forget the smell and sound of that wonderful aircraft !!! This would have been in the early seventies, a little after you were flying the chippie up there but was wondering if you could shed any light on who the chap was, or the aircraft. Cheers Glenn

G day Yenn I lived in Geelong and used to ride my bike up to Lovely Banks as a young fella to watch the aircraft, I saved up a bit of cash and approached a chap , whose name escapes me , who had a silver Auster in the hanger and asked if he could take me for a fly. He agreed and that was my first experience of controlling a flying machine, I will never forget the smell and sound of that wonderful aircraft !!! This would have been in the early seventies, a little after you were flying the chippie up there but was wondering if you could shed any light on who the chap was, or the aircraft. Cheers Glenn

Geoff Wood of Wangaratta Flying School would know - he used to operate at Lovely Banks

• Helpful 1

Phil, here's the link to the crash report of the Partenavia in July 1978. It was believed to have been caused by inadvertent nose-down trim selection, not long after takeoff, via accidental depression of the trim command switch on the LH yoke, by the PUI. Both the PIC and PUI had very little time to figure out the problem and correct it, and they had just done a simulated EFATO drill, attention to which drill may have slowed their reactions to the incorrect trim selection.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24632/197802547.pdf

• Informative 1

• 10 months later...
Phil, here's the link to the crash report of the Partenavia in July 1978. It was believed to have been caused by inadvertent nose-down trim selection, not long after takeoff, via accidental depression of the trim command switch on the LH yoke, by the PUI. Both the PIC and PUI had very little time to figure out the problem and correct it, and they had just done a simulated EFATO drill, attention to which drill may have slowed their reactions to the incorrect trim selection.https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24632/197802547.pdf

Thank you for the link Sir. Very informative read.

• 1 month later...