Looking for a seat around Brisbane

MichaelM

Hi everyone

I'm not sure if this is common, or in the right forum, but thought I would put it out there.

I am looking for the opportunity to be a passenger on flights in and around the Brisbane area if you have a spare seat and would like some company. I'm looking to be more than just a passive passenger or someone getting a 'free ride' - contributing and learning along the way as much as possible. Circuits, local flights, cross country - whatever. Happy to contribute toward fuel/lunch etc.

A bit about me from my intro post:

Lawyer by day, aviation enthusiast by night. I've undertaken a couple of TIFs over the last few years but have not yet been in a position to commit to flight training.

So, in the abscence of actual flying, to get my "fix" I've been watching a few channels on Youtube (Romeo Juliet Whiskey, Mark Roberts, Flight Chops, Student Pilot Journey and PilotsEye just to name a few). I've also read the Bob Tait BAK book (several times) and am lucky enough to know a Qantas 737 captain who I harass with endless questions.

Apart from that, a bit of plane spotting and listening to ATC from time to time. In that regard I think the seqaldradar.net project is great.

I live near YBAF.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who might be able to offer a seat. If there are any other forums or places to make such a request I'd be grateful to know of those as well.

Thanks

• Like 1

Don't know about recreational certificate but PPL pilots cannot fly 'for hire or reward' tricky one that. Define reward? I am pretty sure sharing fuel cost is Ok but be careful what is defined as 'reward' This is CASA we are talking about!

Don't know about recreational certificate but PPL pilots cannot fly 'for hire or reward' tricky one that. Define reward? I am pretty sure sharing fuel cost is Ok but be careful what is defined as 'reward' This is CASA we are talking about!

That's a fair point - I must admit that general proposition crossed my mind when writing the part about contributing toward fuel/lunch, but I did think to myself I would ensure that whatever contribution I made was not unlawful.

That being the case, I'll say here for the record that I will only contribute in a way that is not unlawful.

Cheers

The real problem is CASA. I think they keep the rules deliberately ambiguous. If you went for a drive with a mate and because he paid for the fuel you bought lunch that would be no problem. Transfer that to an aeroplane and who knows!

What is ambiguous about the rules. As far as I can see it is clear enough. A passenger can contribute to the cost of the flight, but the pilot also has to contribute. One passenger can contribute half the cost, or 3 passengers can contribute a quarter each.

• Agree 3

The reward thing is being deeply discussed on PPrune at the moment in regard to Wingly (ride sharing for pilots and passengers) the "problem" it seems in Australia is that CASA somewhere in their infinite wisdom have put a paragraph in the rules saying "cannot advertise the ride share or seat" which differs from the CAA and FAA

I advertise if I have a spare seat on a local facebook page but I never ask for or expect this to be on a cost share basis, I regularly cost share with friends/family and work mates but ALWAYS on an equal basis of the actual hire cost to me (or them if Im the one sitting in pax seat) and nothing more.

MichaelM if you ever find yourself on holiday in Perth for any reason - drop me a line always happy to take along another aviation nut like myself!

Happy flying

MM I would be happy to take you up. I am always looking for people to fly with. Send me a PM with contact details.

And as for the rest of the thread, to be honest if I end up in Dalby and someone wants to buy me a hamburger, I am certainly not going to ask him how he got there.

• Like 1

The reward thing is being deeply discussed on PPrune at the moment in regard to Wingly (ride sharing for pilots and passengers) the "problem" it seems in Australia is that CASA somewhere in their infinite wisdom have put a paragraph in the rules saying "cannot advertise the ride share or seat" which differs from the CAA and FAA

Happy flying

The FAA says you cannot advertise cost share seats, just like CASA.

FAA warns flight sharing services - AOPA

MichaelM if you ever find yourself on holiday in Perth for any reason - drop me a line always happy to take along another aviation nut like myself!

Thanks Mike, will do if I am ever over that way.

Wow, a person wants to go flying and all of a sudden it turns into a debate about if they can contribute to cost.... Those of us are licenced know the laws, how about we just encourage people into flying? If you dont know the laws then you should not be accepting payment period.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Perhaps I might complicate my own thread by saying 'would it matter if instead we did a contra deal for the provision of legal services?' 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Just kidding.

Thanks for everyone's offers, comments and input.

• Like 2

Wow, a person wants to go flying and all of a sudden it turns into a debate about if they can contribute to cost.... Those of us are licenced know the laws, how about we just encourage people into flying? If you dont know the laws then you should not be accepting payment period.

Spot on Pearo.

When this thread started I thought to myself "this is what rec flying is about, people interested in flying helping each other" only to be taken over by an out of context legal argument.

Sometimes I think we interpret rules worse than casa writes them!

• Like 3

Ironically I michaelm states he is a lawyer ....... so whats all the fuss about

Emjoy your flight (s) mike - make sure you dont get charged more tjhan $ 600 / hour for your half share

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Spot on Pearo.When this thread started I thought to myself "this is what rec flying is about, people interested in flying helping each other" only to be taken over by an out of context legal argument.

Sometimes I think we interpret rules worse than casa writes them!

Sorry you feel it is out of context, I think where CASA are concerned you need to be super careful. I am with you on the encourage people to fly aspect but being in Warwick I can't offer the 'seat around Brisbane' bit, but anyone coming this way is welcome to contact me!

Ironically I michaelm states he is a lawyer ....... so whats all the fuss aboutEmjoy your flight (s) mike - make sure you dont get charged more tjhan $ 600 / hour for your half share

All good, I have budgeted for up to $1000/hr 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

All good, I have budgeted for up to $1000/hr 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

So if some bloke wants to by a hamburger for someone else it should at least have beetroot on it and maybe bacon as well 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif