Terms used - just for calrity.

(FLAME PROOF JACKET AT THE READY)

Gee some terms have been "adjusted" since I started flying and I am sure people will start to remember other ones which have also changed.

Here is my example. Runway 36. See picture.

Sorry it doesn't show ALL the arrows: problems with the program and cropping.

1377490661_Runwaypositionterms.png.11f46c8c3d82bd888b6692cc1b3dec7d.png

Red: UPWIND

Orange: CROSSWIND

Yellow: DOWNWIND

(Base got cropped off)

Light Green: FINAL

And that's fair enough when arriving.

But the other green line (arrow also cropped off - pointing RIGHT) is ........?

Departing Cross Wind?

Or is it supposed to be LEFT pointing and still called Departing Cross Wind?

And the blue line towards the bottom...... Joining Cross Wind?

I know nowadays it is "mid field" but I kinda made the runway too small and only for clarity did I put it there.

Where is "CROSS WIND"? Originally to me it was: over the numbers at the OTHER END of the runway.

Then it became halfway down the runway - midpoint between the numbers.

Which kind of makes sense if the darker green arrow is supposed to be LEFT pointing and also halfway between the numbers.

I'm not saying I'm stupid. There are enough people already doing that.

But I wan to get it clear in my mind what is what and where things are.

Again: I don't think the picture is helping - &*^&&*^*^ paint program and cropping. (I'm using Linux and "painta" is not good at cropping then "Crop to selected"..... It crops to what it wants instead.)

But to "put it out there" for any other noobs who may be a bit vague on where things are in circuits.

(FLAME PROOF JACKET AT THE READY)I like this :

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/wp-content/uploads/16-086FAC_NCIS-Circuit-training_WEB.pdf

Gee some terms have been "adjusted" since I started flying and I am sure people will start to remember other ones which have also changed.

Here is my example. Runway 36. See picture.

Sorry it doesn't show ALL the arrows: problems with the program and cropping.

[ATTACH=full]50674[/ATTACH]

Red: UPWIND

Orange: CROSSWIND

Yellow: DOWNWIND

(Base got cropped off)

Light Green: FINAL

And that's fair enough when arriving.

But the other green line (arrow also cropped off - pointing RIGHT) is ........?

Departing Cross Wind?

Or is it supposed to be LEFT pointing and still called Departing Cross Wind?

And the blue line towards the bottom...... Joining Cross Wind?

I know nowadays it is "mid field" but I kinda made the runway too small and only for clarity did I put it there.

Where is "CROSS WIND"? Originally to me it was: over the numbers at the OTHER END of the runway.

Then it became halfway down the runway - midpoint between the numbers.

Which kind of makes sense if the darker green arrow is supposed to be LEFT pointing and also halfway between the numbers.

I'm not saying I'm stupid. There are enough people already doing that.

But I wan to get it clear in my mind what is what and where things are.

Again: I don't think the picture is helping - &*^&&*^*^ paint program and cropping. (I'm using Linux and "painta" is not good at cropping then "Crop to selected"..... It crops to what it wants instead.)

But to "put it out there" for any other noobs who may be a bit vague on where things are in circuits.

• Informative 1

What about departures? Where is "Departing crosswind" come into the mix?Sorry, just want to get it right.

Aircraft can depart from the circuit by extending one of the four legs and are only allowed to turn away from the extended leg when well clear of the circuit (which I always interpret as 3nm)

Aircraft can depart from the circuit by extending one of the four legs and are only allowed to turn away from the extended leg when well clear of the circuit (which I always interpret as 3nm)

or climb overhead to depart the circuit."Aircraft should depart the aerodrome circuit area by extending one of the standard circuit legs or climbing to depart overhead. However, the aircraft should not execute a turn to fly against the circuit direction unless the aircraft is well outside the circuit area and no traffic conflict exists. This will normally be at least 3 nm from the departure end of the runway, but may be less for aircraft with high climb performance. In all cases, the distance should be based on the pilot’s awareness of traffic and the ability of the aircraft to climb above and clear of the circuit area.

Be aware of traffic joining the circuit by the recommended overfly procedure, especially if climbing to depart overhead the aerodrome (CAAP 166-1(2) para 6.4)."

• Like 1