ASIC CHANGES

DrZoos

RAAus as an Issuing Body for ASIC

The Board took a decision to cease being an Issuing Body (IB) for the purpose of ASIC.

Recently the Government has introduced sweeping reforms to the ASIC system with changes coming into effect from 1 August 2017. The outcome of this is that organisations such as RAAus are faced with additional financial pressures along with increasing the level of risk they are exposed to. It is our position that this level of risk is unacceptable to RAAus and that the use of member funds for this activity is no longer acceptable. It was also felt that RAAus has philosophical differences with some of the measures being introduced.

Over the coming two months RAAus will work with members to ensure they are aware of the alternatives available to them so they can continue to gain access to an ASIC.

Any member who lodges an ASIC application with RAAus before 31 July 2017 will have their ASIC processed by RAAus. ASIC applications received after this date will be returned to the member.

End quote

Ive written my letter to Nick Xeneohon

Ridiculous

• Like 1

Can't blame RAAus for making this decision. We all know it is the policy makers who have no idea.

I agree, im sayind casa's decision is ridiculous....

Brace yourself for a major ASIC price jump

• 4 weeks later...

For your Sunday afternoon amusement..

I'm training for PPL and had been asked to get ASIC just to make it easier to get onto airport. Innocently, I submitted all my paperwork to CASA. I forgot to sign one form and get it witnessed so it took another 10 days or so for them to even look at my application, and the response was 'We need your PPL or RPL number'

As I had explained in my form I was seeking PPL endorsement, but they didnt bother to even read that until I'd gone around and sent them the final details. Why is everything so serially processed with CASA?

So I rang and the loverly lady then explained that their group will only supply an ASIC against a CASA endorsement, nothing on their Web page or forms submitted about this.

She then explained that if I got a letter from my flight training school explaining I was a student they could check if that flight school was CASA approved and then 'maybe' they could issue an ASIC on that basis. So I asked, rather than waste me and my CFI's time, can you just tell me if xxx flight school is CASA endorsed? No I would have to have the letter first, the loverly girl responds.

So, loverly lady, can you tell me, as the CASA authority on such matters, who or how else I could get an ASIC prior to having an RPL or PPL number so I can get onto an airfield to actually obtain one of these magical certifications?

No. We only issue ASIC against approved CASA registrations. You could speak to your governing body for whatever flight endorsement you have.

You mean RA Aus?

Well, if that is your governing body, you would have to speak to them. the loverly lady says, 'helpfully'

And from hereon the conversation became increasinvly obtuse, with her unable to provide any clear and concise guidance on what I should or could do.

Oh ffs, why didn't you explain any of that up front. Can you just send me all my paperwork back thanks.

Sure. She says.

So, I still don't know who's going to issue me an ASIC when RA Aus stop doing it.

As I've noted in another rant/post, CASA is broken.

For your Sunday afternoon amusement..I'm training for PPL and had been asked to get ASIC just to make it easier to get onto airport. Innocently, I submitted all my paperwork to CASA. I forgot to sign one form and get it witnessed so it took another 10 days or so for them to even look at my application, and the response was 'We need your PPL or RPL number'

As I had explained in my form I was seeking PPL endorsement, but they didnt bother to even read that until I'd gone around and sent them the final details. Why is everything so serially processed with CASA?

So I rang and the loverly lady then explained that their group will only supply an ASIC against a CASA endorsement, nothing on their Web page or forms submitted about this.

She then explained that if I got a letter from my flight training school explaining I was a student they could check if that flight school was CASA approved and then 'maybe' they could issue an ASIC on that basis. So I asked, rather than waste me and my CFI's time, can you just tell me if xxx flight school is CASA endorsed? No I would have to have the letter first, the loverly girl responds.

So, loverly lady, can you tell me, as the CASA authority on such matters, who or how else I could get an ASIC prior to having an RPL or PPL number so I can get onto an airfield to actually obtain one of these magical certifications?

No. We only issue ASIC against approved CASA registrations. You could speak to your governing body for whatever flight endorsement you have.

You mean RA Aus?

Well, if that is your governing body, you would have to speak to them. the loverly lady says, 'helpfully'

And from hereon the conversation became increasinvly obtuse, with her unable to provide any clear and concise guidance on what I should or could do.

Oh ffs, why didn't you explain any of that up front. Can you just send me all my paperwork back thanks.

Sure. She says.

So, I still don't know who's going to issue me an ASIC when RA Aus stop doing it.

As I've noted in another rant/post, CASA is broken.

You shouldn't need an ASIC in training as you should be under the supervision of an instructor while airside.

• Agree 2

it appears veritas (asic.net.au) are using aust post which to me seems the most practical resolution to the new ID requirements. they already do passports which have similar ID verification requirements.

As with RAA in deciding no longer look after pilot certificate holders. - even though, to quote their words, it only made a small PROFIT!!!!!

RAA gave up, not because of the money but because of the administration load on CFIs imposed by the government (not CASA).

• Agree 2

You shouldn't need an ASIC in training as you should be under the supervision of an instructor while airside.

??

Unless that CFI is already airside and says 'cmon in' or I could just be flying into security controlled airports under RA Aus. I think you've missed the point of my.post.

RAA gave up, not because of the money but because of the administration load on CFIs imposed by the government (not CASA).

If you are happy with that Col, I have no answer - one could argue if a CFI can't identify the person, then how can they issue a certificate to an "unknown" individual. But it is already done, so we will see what eventuates - because I have an ARN & medical I will renew mine through the CASA system, not available to all RAA pilots. I suspect the decision was made without thinking it thorough.

If you are happy with that Col, I have no answer - one could argue if a CFI can't identify the person, then how can they issue a certificate to an "unknown" individual. But it is already done, so we will see what eventuates - because I have an ARN & medical I will renew mine through the CASA system, not available to all RAA pilots. I suspect the decision was made without thinking it thorough.

I don't know the protocol for CASA (I will find out in 18 months) but under the deal being forced on RAA it appears that the CFI must take personal responsibility for the authenticity of the offered documents. It seems that you can't now just slip down to your friendly post office and get them signed off. It appears to be a problem with the politicians letting the ANAO run rufshod with flat earth doctrinaire policies.

I don't know the protocol for CASA (I will find out in 18 months) but under the deal being forced on RAA it appears that the CFI must take personal responsibility for the authenticity of the offered documents. It seems that you can't now just slip down to your friendly post office and get them signed off. It appears to be a problem with the politicians letting the ANAO run rufshod with flat earth doctrinaire policies.

??Unless that CFI is already airside and says 'cmon in' or I could just be flying into security controlled airports under RA Aus. I think you've missed the point of my.post.

If your CFI is running his business in this way he/she should have mapped out and validated a path for you to get an ASIC. For a CASA licence you would need an ARN and your CFI should help you to get this and the ASIC. Beat your CFI into submission or get a new CFI.

If your CFI is running his business in this way he/she should have mapped out and validated a path for you to get an ASIC. For a CASA licence you would need an ARN and your CFI should help you to get this and the ASIC. Beat your CFI into submission or get a new CFI.

I have an ARN. It is CASA who should be able to provide me instructions, surely. Why defer responsibility of the archaic, unfathomable CASA processes on a poor CFI?

• Like 1

A good decision by RAAus. CFI's are already snowed under by more & more paperwork - none of which time is remunerated. As stated, Australia Post is setup for Passport application - so let them cope with verification of documents. It's the student who applies for an ARN at a GA school, and the student also has to organise their medical, and their ASIC. The CFI just points the way. The Engrish speaking test is applied by the CFI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well...it looks like getting harder again after the recent alleged attempted bombing of an international aircraft and the decision of the perpetrators to look at doing it to a domestic instead.

Already calls for significantly increased security at regional and country airports

'We need to wake up': Calls for domestic airport security to match international

Kaz

Well...it looks like getting harder again after the recent alleged attempted bombing of an international aircraft and the decision of the perpetrators to look at doing it to a domestic instead.Already calls for significantly increased security at regional and country airports

'We need to wake up': Calls for domestic airport security to match international

Kaz

Obviously Roger Henning has never applied for an ASIC.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course CASA is not interested in checking your ASIC. It is a different government department that requires ASICs. CASA is doing what RAAus used to do, issuing the ASIC. There are other ways to get an ASIC without involving CASA or RAAus.

• Agree 1