Rotax 912is fault finding

deadstick

Hi, want to start an info sharing page for the 912is in a view to helping diagnose issues etc.

Had a strange issue, pilot tried to start 912is with a low powered battery, no joy. Upon replacing the battery he found that the Engine management system would not turn on, this caused all systems to not work, fuel pump, start relay etc. could bypass them all using the emergency back up battery switch however the EMS still would not display. Fault finding the system, I kept coming back to the EMS unit and upon removal I could hear a rattle like something loose inside. After speaking with the manufacturer it turns out that trying to initialise the EMS with less than 6 volts causes a small capacitor that's soldered to the board to heat up and de- solder itself. So always keep your battery charged or start the engine with the backup battery armed and switch it off post start.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest alpipete

Yep a small solar panel is the answer,Since I installed one on my hanger the battery is always fully charged,such a simple solution.Happy flying

I run my whole hanga on solar as mains power was too expensive to get connected. The whole solar system only cost me around $500.

There's always a coldie in the 12volt fridge, can run lots of 240 volt appliances through an inverter, 4 45watt LED forklift floodlights are

heaps bright enough for lighting. Connect any idle battery to the system via 2.5mm jumper leads..... and in 5 years never had a power bill.

• 3 weeks later...