Ultravia Pelican

Hello,

Just landed I supposes, I've actually been using the forums for a while now but only just registered.

I'm a CPL with about 350hrs that are all private, I decided to not make the leap to professional flying for reasons that I'm still not sure of!

I've been doing some serious googling for an aircraft kit.

I came across the Ultravia Pelican which is now built by Ballard sport aircraft.

I know there are 3 registered with the RAA at the moment.

Was wondering if I can have a chat to some who owns one of them?

Cheers!

It looks like a good set-up doesn't it cscotthendry.

To bad I can't find any current flyer reports...

I've a pretty loose mission profile of;

Conventional gear

High Wing

110+kt cruise

Semi-off airport capable

Love the Glastar but it doesn't fit the budget for now.

I can't fit in any of the Pipistrel machines either... My head hits the wing spar.

The only one remaining is the Pelican! Just looking for builder/owner/flyer reports.

Cheers.

I know of a Pelican, flown by Ken green out of Taroom in Qld. Don't have a phone number for him, but he runs the premixed concrete supplier in Taroom. He would possibly answer some of your questions.

It looks like a good set-up doesn't it cscotthendry.To bad I can't find any current flyer reports...

I've a pretty loose mission profile of;

Conventional gear

High Wing

110+kt cruise

Semi-off airport capable

Love the Glastar but it doesn't fit the budget for now.

I can't fit in any of the Pipistrel machines either... My head hits the wing spar.

The only one remaining is the Pelican! Just looking for builder/owner/flyer reports.

Cheers.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that pipistrel do kits.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that pipistrel do kits.

Yep. Go to the homepage for the manufacturer (not oz distributor) and you can download the kit build manuals and kit parts docs if you want to see how much is done and how much you do.

cscotthendry, Yeah they have 400 hour quickbuild kit for the Virus SW, which is the one I took a liking too.

I got a sit in a sinus a while back, which as far as I'm aware, has the same cockpit as the Virus.

My forehead was right on the Wing spar...

@Yenn I got a hold of Ken and had a chat to him this morning. He put me onto another fellow who I had a good chat to as well.

It seems I might not be able to fit in it! I didn't think 6'1" was that tall...

I've emailed Ballard to see if I can extract some more detailed dimensions from them.

So far so good!

Cheers,

Ballard, I suggest you should check out ATEC aircraft.

Roomy cockpits, plenty of storage space, Rotax 912 100 hp, astonishing performers, all have empty weight well under 300kg, low fuel burn, low operating costs. These aircraft represent a very good "bang for your buck" Sorry low wing (flying is sometimes about compromise)

• Zephyr - can be purchased as an advanced kit - there are about 9 flying in Australia, the oldest commissioned in the late 1990's - so far very good track record. Good for 120 + knots cruise and low stall, just 35 knots - gets of the ground in sub 100m. Good all round performer,

• The Fayeta - as far as I know can only be purchased as a factory build, but no one has asked about it being delivered as a kit.- cruise 125+ knots, stall 28 knots. Even better all rounder.

• Fayeta NG - as above, but better again - cruise 132 + knots, stall 28 knots,