Rotax Rick Rebuilds

Jimmyhuf

Hi All,

Has anyone from Australia had any dealings with Rotax Rick (Ron Davis) in Naples, Florida?

Looking for any feedback on his mmm and his work.

Need to have my 618 Rotax rebuilt and can't have it done in australia. Apparently he uses after market pets which are great quality.

Just google "Rotax Rick" - I think you will get all the feedback you want there!

After all that I would look about Europe, UK.. Just a long shot South Africa.

KP

• More 1

I have used Rick Davis for 4 rebuils of four 503s. I can't say enough positives about this guy. He will work to give you the lowest possible price, keep you informed throughout the process and back his work 100%. Nothing less than High Praise for Rick!

• Like 2

I have used Rick Davis for 4 rebuils of four 503s. I can't say enough positives about this guy. He will work to give you the lowest possible price, keep you informed throughout the process and back his work 100%. Nothing less than High Praise for Rick!

This is what I wanted to hear! I've seen some other reviews which were great but I also saw the Ripoff Report which after more research seemed like it was a disgruntled competitor or something.

Thanks for the feedback

• Like 1

I will say this Jimmy. No matter what you do in life you are never going to please everyone. Some people would complain if the work was done for free & returned in perfect order. They'd think of something.

This is what I wanted to hear! I've seen some other reviews which were great but I also saw the Ripoff Report which after more research seemed like it was a disgruntled competitor or something.Thanks for the feedback

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

My 618 cost me $580 to get it The with insurance and $450 to get it back.

I went through CheapCouriersCompare and used TNT which is now owned by FedEx.

I shipped the engine on the 6th July and the engine has now already been returned on Monday 24th. Including Rebuild time. Very quick and price better than I thought.

My full parcel weighed in at 57kg because I sent Gearbox and all.

A 503 is a lot lot smaller and lighter! I would estimate $600 return shipping

• Agree 1

Hey,My 618 cost me $580 to get it The with insurance and $450 to get it back.

I went through CheapCouriersCompare and used TNT which is now owned by FedEx.

I shipped the engine on the 6th July and the engine has now already been returned on Monday 24th. Including Rebuild time. Very quick and price better than I thought.

My full parcel weighed in at 57kg because I sent Gearbox and all.

A 503 is a lot lot smaller and lighter! I would estimate $600 return shipping

And I believe you don't pay gst because it is a returning item?

A friend who flys GA, said he would never get an engine overhauled is aus.

It is cheaper to air freight an engine to aero sport power in Canada and return than here in aus.

Cheaper again to buy second hand in USA, ship to Canada for full rebuild and then to aus.

Saves 20 to 30 grand easy he recons.....

Another friend is expecting his transponder back from the mfg in the USA after repairs. All up cost A $500.

Quoted in aus, $1500......

I know it's not good sending stuff away from aussie companies, but when you're talking hundreds of percent difference in price....well.

30 percent, ok....50 percent....maybe.....but 300 percent?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

A friend who flys GA, said he would never get an engine overhauled is aus.It is cheaper to air freight an engine to aero sport power in Canada and return than here in aus.

Cheaper again to buy second hand in USA, ship to Canada for full rebuild and then to aus.

Saves 20 to 30 grand easy he recons.....

Another friend is expecting his transponder back from the mfg in the USA after repairs. All up cost A $500.

Quoted in aus, $1500......

I know it's not good sending stuff away from aussie companies, but when you're talking hundreds of percent difference in price....well.

30 percent, ok....50 percent....maybe.....but 300 percent?

A new 582 in Aus was going to be $15k plus.

I sent my 618 To Ron davis in Florida for a total cost of $3800AUD and it's absolutely outstanding. Everything has been overhauled.

IMG_3756.PNG.af8ad4fb73f665540d46de75916edf1b.PNG

• Winner 1

A new 582 in Aus was going to be $15k plus.I sent my 618 To Ron davis in Florida for a total cost of $3800AUD and it's absolutely outstanding. Everything has been overhauled.

IMG_3755.jpg.d6c9084e9f167ca298592ace135df764.jpg

• Informative 1

All very impressive, but I thought that ROTAX 2 strokes needed a new crankshaft when overhauled, Did these others get new crankshaft? Just asking.

I can't speak for Rick Davis, the overhaul company owner which I believe is called Red Gold Rotax....forget it, I forgot but that's close.

But I think it's up to the engine owner. If you want a knew crank, I'm sure Rick will install one. He's done four of mine over the years & my policy with him is to check the crank to specs. If it checks okay, keep it.

I will add this fact. In 45 years of experience with Rotax motors, I have never had a crank fail. I also never depend on an oil pump. I mix. A pump is just something else to break or mismanage.

I can't speak for Rick Davis, the overhaul company owner which I believe is called Red Gold Rotax....forget it, I forgot but that's close.But I think it's up to the engine owner. If you want a knew crank, I'm sure Rick will install one. He's done four of mine over the years & my policy with him is to check the crank to specs. If it checks okay, keep it.

I will add this fact. In 45 years of experience with Rotax motors, I have never had a crank fail. I also never depend on an oil pump. I mix. A pump is just something else to break or mismanage.

Rotax no longer makes a new crankshaft for the 618 & all the dealers supplies are exhausted. As far as the 582 engine goes, every 3 out of 5 engines that fail is caused by the lower rod bearing failing. I been rebuilding the crankshafts since 2011 & have never had a single 582 lower rod bearing fail & I have rebuilt over 550 crankshafts. Why & how , I use double oil slotted connecting rods that get more oil to the bearings & I get my customers to run 40 to 1 Premix. My rebuilt crankshafts have every pice replaced with new parts except for the 4 crank wheels. I use OEM main bearings & seals plus a far better connecting rod with new upper & lower rod bearings. ROTAX RICK

• Like 3
  • Informative 3