Blowing fuses to VHF

have had two fuses blow over the last couple of weeks, I replaced one today and now I'm not receiving any power to the VHY (uhf works fine but now there's no lights coming on in vhf) it's a icon IC-A200. My question is, will I have to send the whole cradle and all the wiring away with it, or can I just send the radio off by itself? And if so, can anyone advise me on where to send it? Thanks in advance. Davo.

Hi

have had two fuses blow over the last couple of weeks, I replaced one today and now I'm not receiving any power to the VHY (uhf works fine but now there's no lights coming on in vhf) it's a icon IC-A200. My question is, will I have to send the whole cradle and all the wiring away with it, or can I just send the radio off by itself? And if so, can anyone advise me on where to send it? Thanks in advance. Davo.

Hi Dave

I'd test the power feed neg and pos with a multimeter for both volts and a short first before sending away. Cheers Mike

• Agree 1

Without knowing what your set up is like so take this with a grain of salt.

You should check the wiring with a multimeter. Sounds like you have a short.

If that doesn't help There's another way round it.

try to isolate the radio from the aircraft using a jumper cable of some sort ( you might have to make one up ( with an inline fuse in it) and use an external battery and see if the radio works. If it works fine the trouble is in the wiring or cradle if it blows the fuse in your jumper cable then it's the radio.

• Agree 1

.Remove the radio from the cradle and then replace fuse if the fuse doesnt blow the fault is probably in the radio and only the radio will need to be sent to icom in melbourne

If the fuse still blows the fault is probably in the cradle plug or wiring

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi fellers, thanks for all the info. I got myself upside down under the instrument pannel today and started tracing the wiring back, I would get power then it would go out again ‍♂️(b@$;&$?) finally found the wire that's solderd onto the fuse holder had came unstuck from its solderd joint but was out of sight in the heat shrink, re-solderd and working that good you'd think it came from town. Cheers Davo

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

How would a dry solder joint, or other iffy joint, cause fuses to blow? Disclaimer: I have used a multimeter once only in forever, so not a towering intellect behind the question. I suppose OP might not have been implying that, of course. Good answers BTW, with practicable applications.