PV8 'Zeppelin Interceptor' design

A friend took the photograph at the York Aircraft museum and got some details from a placard. I have not looked into this yet, so have no idea if it went into production.

PV-8 a WW1 aircraft designed to be a Zeppelin interceptor. Its only 1.5 M high with a 5.78 M wingspan. Empty weight 155 KG and take off weight 266 KG. no other details atm.

PV-8.jpg.b49b83f1944d4e7d1064d883c317b0db.jpg

• Informative 1

Nope. Neither the east church pv8 - replica your friend saw - or the pv7 grain kitten went into production.

My preference between the two is for the pv7 ... not just because it was built a mile from the stoke airstrip I flew from but just because it's sesquiplane layout is more aesthetically pleasing.

If you wanted to replica it for nostalgia it's an odd one - you need to over scale it to around 130% to make it work for normal people and fit in ssdr easily or into 95.10 here in oz

• Informative 1

Nope. Neither the east church pv8 - replica your friend saw - or the pv7 grain kitten went into production.My preference between the two is for the pv7 ... not just because it was built a mile from the stoke airstrip I flew from but just because it's sesquiplane layout is more aesthetically pleasing.

If you wanted to replica it for nostalgia it's an odd one - you need to over scale it to around 130% to make it work for normal people and fit in ssdr easily or into 95.10 here in oz

Interesting stuff Kasper - thank you. I didn't make time to check on that before posting but it looked interesting and I admit never having come across the design before.

I know what you mean about the sesquiplane idea, I had a discussion with a friend at White Waltham who said that the Antonov AN2 was such, but in reality, as you say, the lower wing has to be half, or slightly less than half the surface area of the upper mainplane . . after our afternoon both flying the AN2, we agreed to disagree on wingerage ( ! )

Interesting that the PV7 was built near to Stoke too. The PV8 in the photograph at York has it's engine run on public 'Thunder Days' around one per month, when several of their exhibits also have static engine runs.

Interesting stuff Kasper - thank you. I didn't make time to check on that before posting but it looked interesting and I admit never having come across the design before.I know what you mean about the sesquiplane idea, I had a discussion with a friend at White Waltham who said that the Antonov AN2 was such, but in reality, as you say, the lower wing has to be half, or slightly less than half the surface area of the upper mainplane . . after our afternoon both flying the AN2, we agreed to disagree on wingerage ( ! )

Interesting that the PV7 was built near to Stoke too. The PV8 in the photograph at York has it's engine run on public 'Thunder Days' around one per month, when several of their exhibits also have static engine runs.

Yep one on the isle of grain the other on the isle of sheppy.

And the overscale would be to provide enough wing area in total and a fuselage that you can fit into.

The engine chosen for both was terrible. Unreliable. Underpowered. Overweight. The grain kitten flew from the strip 3-4 paddocks over from stoke - in the middle between the Thames and the Medway. But landed in nearly every paddock within a mile of its take off