So who can beat the dual training costs in Qld RAA $310 hour - Sling 2

SSCBD

That was when the old guard ran RAA & kept their collective heads in the sand & failed to move the old manual systems into the modern era. A lot of records seemed to get lost or misplaced & the registration debacle ran on for months. They didn't seem to realise how officious CASA was so failing 4 audits was pretty easy when they had paid lip service to how CASA would enforce rules to the letter. RAA have moved on & CASA would not accept a reversion back.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are spending thousands every year before you fly, you are doing something horribly wrong; there are choices; I know one guy who flies for 30 minutes every week with the odd tip here and there, solo hire only, pay as you go.

ASIC (even worse now you have to front-up to an issuing body), BFR, RAMPC, registration, insurance & hangarage. A quick summary of all those totals a little over $6,000 per year before I've started the engine. But then my hourly operating cost is under $50.

Last time I checked most of the guys flying the RPT started down the little end of town. Let that pipeline dry up and next thing all we are left with is captains flying with very low time first officers in the right seat. Don't know about you, but that's not what I want becoming the norm. I shudder to think how QF32 might have ended if it was just the captain then two very low time pilots "helping" him.

It doesn't matter what you want, the market will sort it out. Those that are affordable will survive, those that are not, won't.

Economists have a term for goods where the purchaser is unable to tell the quality of the goods. An example would be getting your car serviced. You have no way of knowing if the dealer did ANY of the things they say they did. You can only infer from indirect things like cleanliness and politeness, and cost. Apparently economists have another term, for where if something is more expensive it is perceived as better. So, if you raise the price of Scotch you are selling, you might actually sell more. That is a reason not to lower prices to try and increase turnover. In the light of those two things, which may, and may not apply here, is there evidence that cheaper flying schools are less safe? I am not saying that there is not, BTW.

Or by buying a sausage you shouldn't expect a steak. The only way to get a steak is to buy a steak

If you buy a cheap sausage, you can guarantee the makers aren't paying top price for good contents. A school may get the instructors for nothing but it still has to do maintenance, and a few other things that cost. Like insurance.. If you don't get pre and post flight briefings you are only getting part of the sausage. If as you are taxiiing out the instructor says "what were we doing last time we flew, can you remember?", move schools. If they get you solo or do the course in a very low time it could be you're made of the right stuff and the most natural born pilot of all time, but more likely the course is minimalist and bare bones. If your instructor is rude and belittleling, don't put up with that. He may think so,but He's not GOD, and you are parting with good money so no need to be insulted. A good instructor has unending patience and understanding..(of course) but won't try to be your best friend until after you have finished as IF you have gone slack on something important He/she must emphasise that some things may kill you IF you don't get them right, (even if you don't want to hear it, Precious). He shouldn't try to replace your mum, as she would love you even if you were a Volkswagen equivalent. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

a good reminder of instructor ethics FH

if you buy a top quality sausage - there's still no guarantee that top money was paid for its contents, either

price is an indicator of sausage quality - its no guarantee though

(delete 'sausage' and insert 'flight training' as necessary)

I think this has gotten way of topic.

GoFly Caloundra $295 Dual / $295 Solo / $195 Private (http://goflyaviation.com.au/)

GoFly briefings are not charged

Air QLD Redcliffe $295 Dual / $225 Solo / $195 Private (Rates/FleetAir Queensland | Air Queensland)

Brief $75/h

Sunshine Coast Aero Club $259 Dual / $259 Solo / $169 Private (http://www.sunshinecoastaeroclub.com.au/aircraft-rates/)

Short Brief $15 / Long Brief $45

Towered Airport - so limited times a RAAus member can fly private.

That’s what I have found around me, I think there is a sling at Archerfield but haven’t found it searching the web yet.

• Agree 1

Back to the tread topic, why on earth would you learn to fly in a high performance aircraft like a Sling?.

Much better in my opinion to train in something more robust and forgiving and accordingly cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Back to the tread topic, why on earth would you learn to fly in a high performance aircraft like a Sling?.Much better in my opinion to train in something more robust and forgiving and accordingly cheaper.

For me, that’s an easy one:

1. It’s a very nice looking aircraft

2. I found it to be very comfortable and easy to fly.

3. It’s very modern and with the G3X makes it very appealing

4. The rate is not much more than a lot of the other aircraft in the similar area.

5. Great view from inside

Clifton is also a two hour or more drive from a Brisbane away, which is a lot of extra driving and fuel for an hour of flying at a time.

As for training in the sling, it's actually an excellent aircraft to train in, its lovely to fly, and I would not consider it unforgiving at all.

• Agree 1

Back to the tread topic, why on earth would you learn to fly in a high performance aircraft like a Sling?.Much better in my opinion to train in something more robust and forgiving and accordingly cheaper.

In my experience the sling is an exceptionally good initial training aircraft. It has the benefit of being very easy to fly, but quite tricky to fly well. It's fast enough that you don't waste excessive time getting to the training area, and it can take quite a beating. The handling qualities on it are just beautiful. Have you taken the opportunity to fly the sling yet? If you haven't I strongly recommend having a go at it.

• Agree 2

Clifton is also a two hour or more drive from a Brisbane away, which is a lot of extra driving and fuel for an hour of flying at a time.As for training in the sling, it's actually an excellent aircraft to train in, its lovely to fly, and I would not consider it unforgiving at all.

Similar prices at Gatton and Coominya also. Not so far away.

I know it's a personal choice, but at rates like the school with the Sling, I wouldn't be able to afford it at all.

Dubbo, Wings Out West, $250/hr actually flying, each lesson is allocated 2 hours which include briefing, flying, debriefing. Charged only for actual Hobbs time. Aircraft is Legend Super Cub taildragger.

• Like 1

I would much prefer to see someone in aviation in something they can afford rather than not fly at all, however the solo rate on a sling is $195 per hour, compared to the $165 on a drifter. The sling is a good 30 knots or maybe more faster than a drifter for a similar fuel burn, which means if you wanted to travel somewhere it would actually end up cheaper.

• Like 1

Yes I find that travelling to Caloundra is 1h 15min each way from Brisbane (I live in Spring Hill so its as central as you get). For a 1-2h flight the extra $15-$30h isn’t too bad given I am saving 1-2h travel time over some of the other area’s and as you pay as you use, the $15-$30/h isn’t as bad at the time.

Now I am about to start my RPL, I am looking at a similar thing, do I spend more time travelling to save a few $$ or do I save my time for flying and make sure I manage fatigue better.

When I was learning I would try to fly first thing Sunday mornings 7am on and I can get back to Brisbane before the traffic gets bad as well.

I would have thought $165/hour for a drifter is a bit steep. I'm able to get a 172 (old it may be) with impeccable maintenance for $40/hour dry, not RA I know but you can always go GA at those rates.

Aldo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I would have thought $165/hour for a drifter is a bit steep. I'm able to get a 172 (old it may be) with impeccable maintenance for $40/hour dry, not RA I know but you can always go GA at those rates.Aldo

Wow, if I could get a 172 for $40/h dry, I’d go there for sure.

I would much prefer to see someone in aviation in something they can afford rather than not fly at all, however the solo rate on a sling is $195 per hour, compared to the $165 on a drifter. The sling is a good 30 knots or maybe more faster than a drifter for a similar fuel burn, which means if you wanted to travel somewhere it would actually end up cheaper.

Those rates quoted on the Drifter and Jabs at Clifton were Dual

Training rates, for the record.

• Like 1

Wow, if I could get a 172 for $40/h dry, I’d go there for sure.

Me too but I think somehow there was a missing digit i.e. 1 in front of the 4.

• Like 1

Me too but I think somehow there was a missing digit i.e. 1 in front of the 4.

KG

Not at all, I'm using it so that my wife can get back up to speed.

Aldo

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• 1 month later...
Clifton:$165.00 in a Drifter

$176.00 in a J160

$198.00 in a J230

Add annual club membership to those prices.

Plus a whole heap of relatively aircraft free airspace. So picking up the basics is a whole lot easier.

Why do you think the RAAF Pearce Flying Training School (2FTS) do their winter Flying Training - Combat Flying and Aerobatics up at RAAF Learmonth, which is a Civil/Military Airport?

And Summer in Albany?

Lots of free sky and practically no-one else there.

Learmonth isn't as scenic as the Darling Downs though ;-)