So who can beat the dual training costs in Qld RAA $310 hour - Sling 2

SSCBD

I would much prefer to see someone in aviation in something they can afford rather than not fly at all, however the solo rate on a sling is $195 per hour, compared to the $165 on a drifter. The sling is a good 30 knots or maybe more faster than a drifter for a similar fuel burn, which means if you wanted to travel somewhere it would actually end up cheaper.

Umm, the header is about "...training costs..." so I reckon the extra time saved getting to and from the Training Area wont amount to that much.

Learning the basics on a cheaper airframe makes much more sense.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of free sky and practically no-one else there.

Learmonth isn't as scenic as the Darling Downs though ;-)

While Learmonth is different, I still thought it was scenic, been a long time since I've been there though.

Something peaceful about large expanses of bugger all with lots of water around.

I get the feeling the some of your more flash training school don't want people who already know how to fly. I had one encounter where i asked about booking an aircraft and they informed me i would have to be checked out.I informed them i was already and had only flown a week ago he then responded that they don't do private hire only supervised solo.

• Agree 1

While Learmonth is different, I still thought it was scenic, been a long time since I've been there though.Something peaceful about large expanses of bugger all with lots of water around.

This

1303296333_LearmonthFlightProguided.jpg.6ad28ac8046fd75f91bec18d8c207a3c.jpg

• Like 1

While Learmonth is different, I still thought it was scenic, been a long time since I've been there though.Something peaceful about large expanses of bugger all with lots of water around.

Or this ;-)

1258726220_26vertical.jpg.6eda2a5e221a9c06572b350cf0af893d.jpg

• Like 1

I would much prefer to see someone in aviation in something they can afford rather than not fly at all, however the solo rate on a sling is $195 per hour, compared to the $165 on a drifter. The sling is a good 30 knots or maybe more faster than a drifter for a similar fuel burn, which means if you wanted to travel somewhere it would actually end up cheaper.

Umm, the header is about "...training costs..." so I reckon the extra time saved getting to and from the Training Area wont amount to that much.

Learning the basics on a cheaper airframe makes much more sense.

That brings back some memories Denis, not all of them good. Which pilots course were you on?

Evening Ian

I noticed the PC9 and Bug Smasher in your lineup and was intrigued.

Pilot's Course, none of them. I was their IT bod from 2001 to 2005. When they Deployed I did the database split and rejoin when they came back. Depending on what was happening I sometimes deployed with them, always to Learmonth, because the comms up there were crap.

I looked after the Flying Training Database, a program specifically written for 2FTS called FlightPro (About Us | Command and Control | Operations Management | Systems) and (FlightPro® | Command and Control | Operations Management | Systems). This incorporated the Curriculum and all the Programming, so the daily Flying Operations was on both the Traditional Whiteboard in The Cage and on the Defence network, with live screens all over the School, out on the FlightLine, up in the Tower, Base HQ and some other places. As time went on Hours, Quals, Currencies and Recencies were included.

Top LH corner of the YPLM landing is one of the FlightPro Strips. Tail #26 pix is probably the best one I have ever taken.

Re the "not all of them good" comment, yes even for the top Studs, they were always under the gun, it was pretty stressful for them.

I come up to Brisbane every now and then (terrestrial transport ;-) ) could we get together next time?

Cheers

Denis