Light aircraft accident near Melbourne

biggles

Small plane crash lands in Clyde North

Andrea Hamblin, Herald Sun

21 minutes ago

A PERSON is fighting for life and a man is trapped after a small plane crash-landed in a paddock southeast of Melbourne.

Paramedics were called to Clyde North about 10.40am.

They say one person appears to be in a critical condition.

• Informative 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Channel 7 is reporting a lightly down at Clyde North SE of Melbourne near Cranbourne

News footage showing pic of plane which is a RAA reg'd Bristell by the looks of it

Pilot and Pax alive but with injuries report is saying

You mean the fake ABC news which is where I see those words following your link.Text at No Cookies | Herald Sun is consistent with discussion with colleagues.

Hi, hadn't read it on the ABC, fake or otherwise, but I did read the article in the Sun that Biggles referred to when he opened this thread.

'Small plane crash lands in Clyde North

21 minutes ago

A PERSON is fighting for life and a man is trapped after a small plane crash-landed in a paddock southeast of Melbourne.'

Lower down in this article it referred to 'The man is in a serious but stable condition'.

The link I put in just went to the other thread on this forum that was already running. Can't read your link as it just tells me to subscribe. And I think the articles have been updated to provide the information re the flying school that wasn't there previously. But regardless I hate the way the media sensationalise things. If the ABC was presenting the information in the same way then my views about them are the same. So unfair to family and friends to read this type of stuff.

Hope the guys are both okay.

What little can be seen in the photos, looks like most/all of the aircraft fuselage is intact, wings on - undercaage possibly off, prop possibly not turning when undercarriage collapsed. Subject to a few other issues such as secured seat belts, nothing penetrating fuselage - looks (hope) survivable.

What little can be seen in the photos, looks like most/all of the aircraft fuselage is intact, wings on - undercaage possibly off, prop possibly not turning when undercarriage collapsed. Subject to a few other issues such as secured seat belts, nothing penetrating fuselage - looks (hope) survivable.

Pancaked....?

• Agree 2

The Bristell appears to be the old Pipersport design by another manufacturer (same designer). The Pipersports in Aus. have had somewhat of a chequered career, I believe, as training aircraft. Piper certainly bailed out of them very early.

It's never a good thing to try to make any judgement from a crash photo, but I am wondering whether the apparent dissection of both the engine mount and the fuselage aft of the rear bulkhead - which MAY well be a result of emergency services cutting the thing open for rescue access, so I don't draw any conclusion there until we see an accident report - suggests that a structural examination of occupant safety is warranted?

However: IF the airframe did part under the crash impact - which appears to have been fairly much flat to the ground - at the rear bulkhead and the seat-belt shoulder attachment was therefore compromised, that would be consistent with facial injuries. In the case of the double-fatal Sting crash at Goulburn, the shoulder-harness attachments failed and were so poor in design as to beg the question as to whether the design standards ( or the testing regime) for LSA-class aircraft are adequate.

I join with all of us in hoping for the best outcome for the occupants of this crash, and I also hope that there is a decent investigation into why the severity of the injuries they sustained happened.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I was first on scene by chance.

I'm happy to share what I saw but just want some guidance as to tact and the investagation.. Both pilots were airlifted in a critical state but both expect to survive. The injuries are significant.

• Informative 1

I was first on scene by chance.I'm happy to share what I saw but just want some guidance as to tact and the investagation.. Both pilots were airlifted in a critical state but both expect to survive. The injuries are significant.

I have a little experience with accidents and would advise that it is best to be a little restrained about what you mention especially on a public forum platform such as this. As much as the rest of us want to know what happened it is best that information is gained from official channels. It is hard to bite your tongue sometimes but is mostly the best way.

• Agree 6

The injuries I witnessed wouldn't discount it. :(I was faced with a horrible choice.. hence one was removed from the aircraft.

I hope you were not on your own, or on your own for long when you got there. And that you have people you can talk this through with. Don't discount the effect that it may have on you and look after yourself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 2

Another truck driver and shortly afterwards a nurse. The boys from jayrow were responding to the mayday and landed about a minute after I started first aid on the one I removed. They took over from me as I was working with a predamaged shoulder.

Spotted at least 6 aircraft within 5 minutes and had a full crew within 7. Air ambo was almost first on scene. Air services need a pat on the back.

Got damn busy, damn fast.

Truck driver did a runner as soon as the first cop car turned up. ;)

I hope you were not on your own, or on your own for long when you got there. And that you have people you can talk this through with. Don't discount the effect that it may have on you and look after yourself.

Absolutely spot on!

While I meantioned holding stuff in I certainly don't want that to come across as forbidding talk to anyone. By all means if you are troubled over what you have seen or had to do please don't be hesitant in talking it over with someone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Hi, hadn't read it on the ABC, fake or otherwise, but I did read the article in the Sun that Biggles referred to when he opened this thread.'Small plane crash lands in Clyde North

21 minutes ago

A PERSON is fighting for life and a man is trapped after a small plane crash-landed in a paddock southeast of Melbourne.'

Hope the guys are both okay.

The timeline fits.

• Helpful 1

Absolutely spot on!While I meantioned holding stuff in I certainly don't want that to come across as forbidding talk to anyone. By all means if you are troubled over what you have seen or had to do please don't be hesitant in talking it over with someone.

Sadly I've already been there in the past. it is damn good advice.. ;)

considering how intact the cockpit is, I wonder how they didn't walk away....

There have been double fatals in Intact- looking aircraft. Take a look at the angle of the starboard wing; a lot of twist seems to have been applied to it somehow. At this stage we don't have too many clues as to its final movements other than the engine may have been stopped.

• Agree 1