Light aircraft accident near Melbourne

biggles

As part of pilot training and flight reviews you practise engine failures and emergency landings.Generally the instructor "pulls"the engine to idle and the student finds, and then manoeuvres the aircraft into a pretend landing at a suitable place.

Before actual landing the instructor or student applies power and they fly away.

Generally these areas are familiar to the instructor.

This maybe what you are seeing......

Yes maybe your right, it's concerning they do this directly over our home tho.

Let's just hope these guys are ok

Cheers

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_3247.PNG.fcdd030b211fefef3b8bcecab0b8201f.PNG Sadly Nicholas Cheung passed away on Friday afternoon. My thoughts are with his family and the school.

I hope his family made it in time to say their goodbyes.

At present the instructor is in a stable condition with facial, spinal and chest injuries.

• Informative 1

Interesting maybe suggest flare too high loose ineritia sink flat pancake, learning in PA28 floating was the problem took ages to sink, good point the piece suggest LSA aircraft fly into the ground with low power rather than flare high with no power ??

Very sad. :( If you look at the pics (some show you a good span of the area) there are indicators that the plane had little forward momentum. Possibly in a flat spin. If it was spinning, not uncommon for the fan to stop during the spin.

In any case, very sad indeed. :( My thoughts are with the families.

• Agree 1

Very sad to hear the loss of a fellow enthusiast and aviator.

I looked at the Bristell at Temora and at Bendigo. A very nice aircraft with lots of local dealer support and local owners.

In time we will have an idea what has gone wrong in the training session.

Thoughts and prays with family and friends.

• Agree 3

I join with everybody in condolences and sadness for the loss of life and severe injury to the aircraft's occupants.

I hope that the accident investigation looks beyond the circumstances of the accident to also looking at occupant safety issues that may have contributed to the severity of the accident result.

I believe that this is something that warrants concern, given that the designer of the Bristell is also the designer of two of the three worst aircraft for accident safety in this report: http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/The%20Aviation%20Consumer%20-%20LSA%20Accidents.pdf - the CAW Sport Cruiser and the Evektor. Also the designer of the Piper Sports, that Piper removed from sale after very few were delivered to the market.

I join with everybody in condolences and sadness for the loss of life and severe injury to the aircraft's occupants.I hope that the accident investigation looks beyond the circumstances of the accident to also looking at occupant safety issues that may have contributed to the severity of the accident result.

I believe that this is something that warrants concern, given that the designer of the Bristell is also the designer of two of the three worst aircraft for accident safety in this report: http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/The Aviation Consumer - LSA Accidents.pdf - the CAW Sport Cruiser and the Evektor. Also the designer of the Piper Sports, that Piper removed from sale after very few were delivered to the market.

These Daily Mail/Channel 10 photos show the fuselage shorn/deflected off the cockpit, the nose also shorn deflected off the cockpit, and the starboard wing twisted/distorted.

What we don't know at this stage is what the downforce was/what height it dropped from, but those breakaways/distortions may have saved the instructor's life.

Asian teen and pilot critical after Melbourne plane crash | Daily Mail Online

• Caution 1

Oscar

At the end of the day the force landing didn't go well and a pancake arrival looks to occurred for which you cannot lay blame to the aircraft for that

If the aircraft was flown controlled all the way in to the force landing the result may have been far different

Yes the rear bulkhead looks to have parted and compromised the seat belts but that may very well have been from the type of arrival it under took for which the aircraft was not designed for

• Informative 1

This is the most accurate..

"spinning" was prominent in one report but not even mentioned in the other. If I assume both are correct then perhaps spinning up higher and recovered from the spin, anyway, we will know more before long, just that I take a keen interest in spinning having known a few who were killed near that spot.

I just watched a news report that had video, and it appears there is very little forward momentum. No scrape marks on the ground at all. I hate seeing things like this. :( Just awful.

• Agree 2

Yes the rear bulkhead looks to have parted and compromised the seat belts but that may very well have been from the type of arrival it under took for which the aircraft was not designed for

My craft has a roll cage to which the belts will be attached, and there will be almost 200mm of impact absorbing material under your bum.

With the information out there in automotive safety development over the last 30 years, there's no excuse for not implementing some of that safety into some areas with very little weight penalty.

I won't even bother talking about 'chutes with the Luddites around the place.

• Agree 2

With the information out there in automotive safety development over the last 30 years, there's no excuse for not implementing some of that safety into some areas with very little weight penalty.

I won't even bother talking about 'chutes with the Luddites around the place.

Possibly because your average ex-GA pilot would rather carry 5kg more fuel to stretch their bladder range, or couple of comfy chairs as well the kitchen sink, than a bit more structure that will stop their skull being caved in.

Possibly because your average ex-GA pilot would rather carry 5kg more fuel to stretch their bladder range, or couple of comfy chairs as well the kitchen sink, than a bit more structure that will stop their skull being caved in.

Big statement, I acknowledge the inclusion of "possibly" and "average" but I "suspect" factually wrong.

• Agree 3

The sheer number of expensive, slick, & fast GA lookalikes on the register says I might be right. They're not worried about their safety, It's safe because it was built in a factory and their Rotax will never fail because they pay someone else to maintain it.

• Agree 1