AirVenture funding crisis - Facebook statements.

waraton

I have use Oz Runways over the past few years and found it to be good on an Ipad, but I am disappointed in this situation.I think Oz-Runways has walked away from this situation knowing that many people will not agree with the idea of their exclusivity rights only for their own product at a National Event being run by membership type organisations.

More importantly we should support which ever organisation choose to leak this information, hang on, that's not the right word, it's not a leak, as we members of these organisation we are entitle to know details of what the Management Executives or the Boards Member are approving.

Please, before anyone stands up and goes, Oh it's has to be Commercial in Confidence, well yes, but as a member of one of these organisations involved, I am entitled to see such agreements or deals that are made on behalf of my organisation and Commercial in Confidence allow for this, as I am an interested party to the agreement. .

My company deals with such organisations all the time, if you are not happy doing business with Membership Organisations knowing that any or all of your financial transactions with them maybe scrutinized by it's membership and could find their way into the public domain, don't do business with these types of organisations it is that simple.

It seems to me from the outside looking in, that the business principles used in this situation may have be lacking a far bit of business integrity for this type of event.

Hi Fellow Aviators,

I don't spend much time on forums for many reasons, so I am not so well informed about the protocols of such things.

But I see I have been given caution for my last post on this subject. Whilst it does not worry me so much, it does seems to be somewhat rude to caution a person without explanation. So if someone could explain what this caution is all about, I would be grateful.

Cheers to All.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my view is, it is all in the past, lets move on and focus on making this a great event. Hopefully many people can attend to make it a success. I will be trying my best to get there from SA, weather and wife depending (pretty sure I have a green light from the wife)

• Agree 1

Marty I booked my van site for this year before I left last year neil

We started looking about 4 months ago and Narromine was all booked out then, We booked in at Dubbo so all good. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Email from RAA ............

Tickets are now on sale for AirVenture Australia,

coming soon to Narromine, NSW

There is so much for the whole family to see and do at this year's celebration of all things aviation!

Thursday 19 to Saturday 21 October 2017

Seminars & Workshops

There will be over 55 seminars held over three days, including a safety seminar hosted by Red Bull Air Race pilot Matt Hall. Registration for the FREE seminars opens soon, so keep your eye on our website!

It sucks when youre charged to fly in to a fly-in. Good luck selling that to RAA members!. Possibly doomed before it starts. The numbers were poor regardless of the spin put on it by our CEO in the past. Now they think it will be successful by charging for the privilege. They have lost touch with why AUF/RAA was formed in the first place.

The push to be GA Mk2 needs to be stopped. There is a bad odour about what the two Micks are doing to what was a good thing.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 1

It seems that any reference to SAAA have been removed from the Airventure website. It seems that RAAus have completely taken over. This was the email from the SAAA that went around.

356f9287-034d-44ba-b6a6-689e4af6549c.png

19 - 21 October 2017

Dear SAAA Member,

First and foremost - SAAA is going to Narromine!

Please join us to help make SAAA's involvement and the event a success for all.

The event commences at midday Thursday the 19th of October and runs through until Saturday evening on the 21st of October 2017.

Beyond the general aspects of the event, operated by the event organiser, AirVenture Australia Pty Ltd (AVA), SAAA will have:

• All SAAA Narromine facilities open and operating with:

A members, friends and supporters meeting area - all aviator and industry supporters are also warmly welcome!

• Management team members and technical advisers will be available for informal discussions

• Hosting for one of the event seminar spaces

• A display of 5 or 6 completed aircraft representative of the range of types operated by SAAA - access panels removed, instrument panels and systems demonstrated

• A display of 3 or 4 part completed projects

• SAAA Booth in the Main Exhibitor's Tent

• SAAA Aircraft judging competition

Grand Champion Experimental

• Best Experimental Aircraft

• Clive Canning Best Metal Aircraft

• Best Composite Aircraft

• John Liddell Best Hybrid or Rag and Tube Aircraft

• Concours d'Elegance

• SAAA members will be participating in the air display.

Subsequent to many enquiries from our members, it is appropriate to provide some background to the event and SAAA participation.

It will be evident to all by now that reference to SAAA has been removed from the AirVenture Australia website. This follows from SAAA requesting that any reference to SAAA as a member of the event organising team be removed. This request was made for a variety of reasons. However, in response, the event organiser has sadly seen fit to also largely remove reference to SAAA as a participant and contributor to the event. Along with RAAus and APF, SAAA is also a current participating beneficiary of the OzKosh Trust - a corporate entity of which AirVenture Australia Pty Ltd is the trustee and also operator of AirVenture 2017.

However, SAAA has no ownership or legal control of either of the OzKosh Trust or AirVenture Australia Pty Ltd.

SAAA is, as we all know, a largely volunteer supported organisation that operates a not-for-profit operation and, accordingly, we have no interest in deriving revenue other than that required to deliver value for money services to our members.

We passionately believe in an Australian general aviation community where all aviators and industry supporters work together and can come together at events around our nation under one sky. We have no interest in politics or commercial influences that may have a contrary effect.

As those of our members who attended the President - Members Discussion Forum on Saturday 2nd September will know, there was a comprehensive discussion around matters in relation to the AirVenture 2017 event. It is not productive to repeat that discussion here, however, feel free to contact our President, Tony White, directly if you would like a personal briefing.

SAAA remains a founding beneficiary of the OzKosh Trust. We have, and continue to contribute funds and infrastructure to assist in supporting the AirVenture 2017 event and the Australian sport aviation community.

We look forward to seeing as many of our members, friends and industry supporters at Narromine over the course of the event.

Please help make SAAA's involvement and the event a success!

Thank you

Tony White

President SAAA

Looks like a good event to me, saved by making those attending pay

Not much for free anymore

Offer to be a volunteer, not likely they would be charged, (sure they would if asked) always need more to help parking and directing aircraft

• Agree 1

I remember fly-ins.

Would grab my camping gear, fly to some remote airfield, meet a lot of old friends and chat about our aeroplanes.

Sometimes we'd jump in our plane and do a few circuits so others could see what it looked/sounded like in flight.

If you got yourself well known enough, you could bum a fly in someone else's pride and joy and add it to your logbook.

Then you could wander around and see what new gizmos, engines, planes, etc that people were building/bringing into the country.

No one seemed to mind too much when said manufactures and importers wanted to put on demo flights (we all remember Nestor demo'ing the Storch), but for some reason, organisers started to think we wanted more aerial entertainment, and before we knew it, we were going to airshows.

Now we can watch parachutists open a 'fly-in', but I don't think anyone can parachute out of an ultralight.

We now (pay) to watch professional aerobatics pilots put on a display of daring do, although we can't aerobat our ultralights.

We watch the Roulettes do their thing while trying to drum up enrolment in the air-force, even though most of the people at the show are older than the Roulette pilots.

And of course all this closes the airspace around the field so no-one can come or go, or take their mates for a quick flip around the area.

Maybe with forty years of flying I'm starting to get a bit jaded so I probably wont be going to Narromine.

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

I remember fly-ins.Would grab my camping gear, fly to some remote airfield, meet a lot of old friends and chat about our aeroplanes.

Sometimes we'd jump in our plane and do a few circuits so others could see what it looked/sounded like in flight.

If you got yourself well known enough, you could bum a fly in someone else's pride and joy and add it to your logbook.

Then you could wander around and see what new gizmos, engines, planes, etc that people were building/bringing into the country.

No one seemed to mind too much when said manufactures and importers wanted to put on demo flights (we all remember Nestor demo'ing the Storch), but for some reason, organisers started to think we wanted more aerial entertainment, and before we knew it, we were going to airshows.

Now we can watch parachutists open a 'fly-in', but I don't think anyone can parachute out of an ultralight.

We now (pay) to watch professional aerobatics pilots put on a display of daring do, although we can't aerobat our ultralights.

We watch the Roulettes do their thing while trying to drum up enrolment in the air-force, even though most of the people at the show are older than the Roulette pilots.

And of course all this closes the airspace around the field so no-one can come or go, or take their mates for a quick flip around the area.

Maybe with forty years of flying I'm starting to get a bit jaded so I probably wont be going to Narromine.

Well stated, my feelings exactly. I went to 11 early Narromine fly-ins, even when in a 50 kt ultralight that took two days to get there. I don't want to go to such an airshow that's being advertised, so definitely won't be going either......

Airventure is about starting the conversation of the amalgamation of all recreational flying being under one banner. Why else would RAA need a weight increase and access to controlled airfields along with more stringent maintenance requirements, exams for Level 1 maintainers, BFR's that resemble a license fight test, increased hours to complete a cross country endosement and the list goes on. I don't like any of the two Mike's recent moves regarding RAA's future. We will end up with an organisation that none of us will want to be part of.

RAA is not a members organisation any more they are a dictatorship enforcing a CASA wishlist. CASA are the last organisation that should be charged with the future of aviation.

They stuff everything the touch.

The empire building proceeds apace...

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Yes bill totally agree i and others seen that a couple years back bloody safety issues bull

When I personally wanted help with one off RAA l2 l4 personnel not a bloody thing was done by RAA my problem they told me

Now they want me to pay up my membership to stay current what for to be treated as crap

Failure by that office to listen to the members is totally beyond belief oh no I have to believe it as an l2 said to me they are really feathering their nest to CASA what part off their monopoly don't I get neil

Airventure is about starting the conversation of the amalgamation of all recreational flying being under one banner. Why else would RAA need a weight increase and access to controlled airfields along with more stringent maintenance requirements, exams for Level 1 maintainers, BFR's that resemble a license fight test, increased hours to complete a cross country endosement and the list goes on. I don't like any of the two Mike's recent moves regarding RAA's future. We will end up with an organisation that none of us will want to be part of.RAA is not a members organisation any more they are a dictatorship enforcing a CASA wishlist. CASA are the last organisation that should be charged with the future of aviation.

They stuff everything the touch.

The BFR hasn't changed in ten years at our local school, neither has the the cross country endorsement. Can you please elaborate on these changes?

The BFR hasn't changed in ten years at our local school, neither has the the cross country endorsement. Can you please elaborate on these changes?

One day, in the fullness of time .... someone at CASA will be given the job of rewriting the advisory publication on flight reviews ... it will probably be a sensible person .... but he won't have much choice, he will read the new Part 61 regulation on flight reviews and will probably come to the same view as myself as to what it means .... and he probably won't like what he is writing but ... I know, I could be wrong so I always suggest that people read the regs themselves.

BFR 's used to be an opportunity for pilots to refresh (review) an aspect of flying they felt they could benefit from - not testing every aspect of handling and cct proceedure as was the case with my last one. (Seemed like a money making exercise to me) - cost $140 in my aircraft to boot. Flying was not a mandatory requirement previously.

Not sure when cross country hours increased - was recently mentioned on here.

BFR 's used to be an opportunity for pilots to refresh (review) an aspect of flying they felt they could benefit from - not testing every aspect of handling and cct proceedure as was the case with my last one. (Seemed like a money making exercise to me) - cost $140 in my aircraft to boot. Flying was not a mandatory requirement previously.Not sure when cross country hours increased - was recently mentioned on here.

So, because one individual flight review isn't as you remember and some one mentioned an increase in cross country hours on an Internet forum, you tee off at RAAus management when in reality, RAAus policy has not changed at all in relation to these two things in at least the last ten years. Bill, your arguments will have more weight if your points are factual.

So arrange a fly in the way you want itEvents like this don't stop them from happening

Hey Guys, I hear there's going to be a Lion's Sausage Sizzle, icecream van and girls in bikini's at 'XXX' airfield on 'XXX' date. If you have a commercial product and happen to be there with a sign, nothing will be said because this is definitely not an organised event, and this is certainly not an invitation.

• Like 3

So, because one individual flight review isn't as you remember and some one mentioned an increase in cross country hours on an Internet forum, you tee off at RAAus management when in reality, RAAus policy has not changed at all in relation to these two things in at least the last ten years. Bill, your arguments will have more weight if your points are factual.

I supppose you voted for the new constitutioal changes as well. Of course you did!.